Proposed Solution

Old September 14th 05, 05:07 AM
Charlie Wilkes

Justin L wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:49:35 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:

Someone used DDE
to install a number of scripts on my machine because he didn't like
something I posted, and he is continuing to do so.

snip
all BS aside,
why on earth are you letting someone install scripts on your machine?

Don't you have a router or software firewall?

You might want to look into one.

Sure, I could do that. But firewalls are like killfiles. They work, but
the price is that you don't really know what is going on.

Most of my technology toys come from the junk store. I can rebuild any
drive I own in a couple of hours. Any data files
I care about are burned and tucked away. My credit cards are insured.
I got no kiddie porn or terrorist plots to hide from the world.

But I still don't want some useless asshole messing with my system, on
principle.

Charlie

Old September 14th 05, 05:37 AM
Justin L

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 04:07:55 GMT,
(Charlie

wrote:

Someone used DDE
to install a number of scripts on my machine because he didn't like
something I posted, and he is continuing to do so.

snip
all BS aside,
why on earth are you letting someone install scripts on your machine?

Don't you have a router or software firewall?

You might want to look into one.

Sure, I could do that. But firewalls are like killfiles. They work, but
the price is that you don't really know what is going on.

that is one of the most bizarre statements I think I have ever read.
You smoking that good **** tonight?
You actually know more what is going on when you run a firewall,
because they have logging capabilities, and most software firewalls
have program control (where it asks if you want to allow a program to
access the Internet)
Even if you are anti-firewall, for some crazy reason, you shouldn't
have any open ports listening for anonymous connections, that is just
asking for trouble. I don't know much about this DDE you spoke of, but
is it really needed? Can you disable it?
Do you patch your operating system?

Most of my technology toys come from the junk store. I can rebuild any
drive I own in a couple of hours. Any data files
I care about are burned and tucked away. My credit cards are insured.
I got no kiddie porn or terrorist plots to hide from the world.

You know, they can use your computer to store things like kiddie porn
without your knowledge? Also they can use your system to attack other
systems. So that logic is pretty much flawed

But I still don't want some useless asshole messing with my system, on
principle.

You are an easy prey, it's as simple as that.
Tighten up your system, don't blame the kiddies, they don't know any
better.
Old September 14th 05, 06:40 AM
Phillis Starkey

Rhonda wrote:

Are you enjoying yourself? Are you the one flooding? How many hours day
and night does it consume of your life?

I find it so interesting: the things you object to vociferously given the
events of the last six months in this group.

In answer to your question, I would wager that Cwazy Catt spends less
than an hour a day on this job, which would be much less time than the
Google stalkers spend discrediting those they dislike. Why do you ask?

Old September 14th 05, 08:22 AM
meee

as a newbie to usenet, i was inclined to think you were all mad, or that you
were innocents being annoyed by a bunch of bored teenagers. However there
seems to be something else going on. I was not wanting to get involved, but
I have been just by being here, so I may as well say my bit. If what the
flooders are saying is true, I'm not sure I want to be part of this. These
groups are supposed to be for discussions, right? As in normal conversation,
q & a about cats, right? friendships made, the cause of animal rights &
awareness furthered etc. etc. In a normal conversation/work/group situation
in 'real life' if someone disagrees with your point of view, you may
disagree with them, but most normal people agree to disagree eventually, and
if the disagreement is severe, avoid each other. If someone starts spreading
rumours, constantly bitch fighting and generally acting like a three year
old about he disagreement, they end up causing trouble and fights, and even
if it might take a while, they end up looking like the idiot. maybe that's
what's happening here. Even if someone in the group was being obnoxious,
wouldn't you just block them and/or not open their posts? Isn't that just
plain common sense. Now excuse me if I sound one sided, but the accusations
by the flooders are pretty specific. people who do this for fun don't
usually have a reason, except 'I'm worried about the size of my dick'
psychosis. And as the people feeding the trolls don't seem to have anything
sensible to say back to the accusations than what I've read above, I'm
inclined to think that where there's smoke there's fire. i subscribed to
this group because I wanted to discuss cats. If I'm going to get ostracized
(in the good old Roman sense of the word) for expressing opinions which I'm
sure will disagree with someone here, go ahead. as crazy cats rather
explicitly posted, karma will come back on you, if you mess with people's
lives. If it's all troll crap, I would like to know what is going on, as
these people arent as destructive as bored teenagers, as they are willing to
discuss this with people who don't start the conversation with abuse.

Old September 14th 05, 08:43 AM
Charlie Wilkes

In article ws.net,
Fraction wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:49:35 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:42:01 -0700, Cwaazie Caatttz
wrote:

Candace bent over and whined:

1. Don't complain to someone's ISP unless you really have no other
alternative, i.e., ignoring the person's posts, or attempting a
sincere reconciliation, doesn't make the problem go away.

2. DON'T EVER post identifying information about people that can
actually be used to harrass them in the real world. No one has the
option of ignoring someone who is sending obnoxious email to friends,
business associates and family members. It can genuinely cause
personal problems. It's illegal, too. But the cops are busy. They
don't have the resources to address problems like that. Others do,
and will.

These are just my thoughts. At this point, I'm ready to bury the
hatchet on everything that has happened in the past in these two
groups.

Charlie

**** poor proposal Chuck. You're saying it's fine to reveal personal
information and netKKop. You're against freedom of speech. You'd

How do you read that into my comments? I do not believe it is ever
appropriate to post private information about people. This medium is
too full of weirdos for that to be acceptable under any circumstances.

As for netcopping, I've been on usenet for about a decade, and I have
never once filed an abuse report -- until yesterday. Someone used DDE
to install a number of scripts on my machine because he didn't like
something I posted, and he is continuing to do so. Is that free
speech? I think it is more like an attempt to intimidate me into
silence.

Here is the latest line I deleted from my win.ini file:

run=c:\windows\alevir.exe

Obviously I'm matched against a real genius, right? I don't do puny
**** like that to people. Why should I put up with it?

You're joking, right? The only way anybody can run anything on your
computer is if you allow it.

--
Fraction

Well, not exactly. I don't allow it. I'm just clueless about this stuff,
easy to exploit.

But, I understand your broader point. It's like leaving my car unlocked in
a bad neighborhood. If someone rifles through the glove box and takes
something valuable, who do I have to blame? Myself, for not locking the
car.

BUT... the guy who ripped me off is still a shiftless low-life. Ditto the
guy who puts spyware on my system because he's ****ed about something I
said on Usenet.

Charlie

Old September 14th 05, 08:43 AM
Charlie Wilkes

Charlie Wilkes bent over and whined:

wrote:

[...]

You're waffling like a politician Chuck. Leave it go...take
action...leave it go...take action.

No, I'm consistent. I'm opposed to any release of private information
on Usenet, no matter who it is. I'm supportive of free speech, but within
the limits of a civil society -- no credible threats or real defamation,
as opposed to so-and-so sucks rancid pus out of festering venereal lesions,
which, in the case of the anecdotes regulars, is merely the truth albeit
slightly glossed over.

My my Chuck, you're trying to troll me aintcha....naughty boi

Why do you think that? I'm trying to be completely straight and
direct, addressing you as a fellow traveler in life rather than a dark
lord of chaos. You have raised the subject of ethics... freedom of speech,
freedom to protect one's privacy. Do you consider 10 million lines of
ascii gibberish free speech? It appears to be aimed at making
communication difficult, like blasting a radio in a room where people
are trying to have a meeting.

BTW, your fellow malicious hackers are hacking away diligently. I just got
a message that said "Warning! Windows has detected spyware on your
browser!" But it loses its impact in a DOS terminal. I wonder if
they have anything for Arachne?

Charlie

Old September 14th 05, 09:21 AM
Charlie Wilkes

In article ,
"meee" wrote:
as a newbie to usenet,

You showed up at a good time not to stay a newbie for very long. Stick
around.

There are some good cat people here, too.

i was inclined to think you were all mad, or that you
were innocents being annoyed by a bunch of bored teenagers. However there
seems to be something else going on.

Yep. The crux of the problem is that some people aren't satisfied to
keep it in the group, and either ignore or flame whoever they don't like.
Instead, they have taken to various strategies such as getting together
and sending a lot of abuse reports and worse, undertaking detective work
to find out private information about people and reveal it in the
group... anonymously, of course. That is a harmful practice.

Krazy Kat is here as the masked avenger. And I gotta tell you, I'm
ambivalent, because the man is going after ALL the right people,
and I can't help but savor that with glee.

I guess I like Krazy Kat as the untouchable commentator, but I don't like
the flooding. But I'll take the bad with the good.

Just my opinion.

Charlie

Old September 14th 05, 11:22 AM
Wendy

"Charlie Wilkes" link.net
wrote in message ...

wrote:

[...]

It's more like leaving your car unlocked in a bad neighborhood with the keys
in the ignition.

If your browsing without a firewall and virus protection you are more likely
to have picked up whatever you got there rather than here.

Old September 14th 05, 11:23 AM
Wendy

"Fraction" wrote in message
eenews.net...
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 07:43:54 GMT,
(Charlie Wilkes)
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Download and install:

AVG Free Edition (Virus Protection)
Kerio Version 2.1.5 (Firewall)
Ad-Aware (SpyWare detection)

They're all free, easy to install and easy to keep updated. Combined with
little attention to what you open they should provide adequate protection.

--
Fraction

Just curious, why Kerio as opposed to Zone Alarm? Fewer conflicts?

Old September 14th 05, 11:34 AM
Wendy

"Justin L" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 04:07:55 GMT,
(Charlie

wrote:

[...]

DDE: Acronym for Dynamic Data Exchange, an interprocess communication (IPC)
system built into the Macintosh, Windows, and OS/2 operating systems. DDE
enables two running applications to share the same data. For example, DDE
makes it possible to insert a spreadsheet chart into a document created with
a word processor. Whenever the spreadsheet data changes, the chart in the
document changes accordingly.
Although the DDE mechanism is still used by many applications, it is being
supplanted by OLE, which provides greater control over shared data.