Proposed Solution

Old September 15th 05, 04:52 AM
Trish

"Charlie Wilkes"
link.net wrote in
message ...
In article ,
"meee" wrote:
as a newbie to usenet,

You showed up at a good time not to stay a newbie for very long.

Stick
around.

There are some good cat people here, too.

i was inclined to think you were all mad, or that you
were innocents being annoyed by a bunch of bored teenagers. However

there
seems to be something else going on.

Yep. The crux of the problem is that some people aren't satisfied to
keep it in the group, and either ignore or flame whoever they don't

like.
Instead, they have taken to various strategies such as getting

together
and sending a lot of abuse reports and worse, undertaking detective

work
to find out private information about people and reveal it in the
group... anonymously, of course. That is a harmful practice.

Krazy Kat is here as the masked avenger. And I gotta tell you, I'm
ambivalent, because the man is going after ALL the right people,
and I can't help but savor that with glee.

I guess I like Krazy Kat as the untouchable commentator, but I don't

like
the flooding. But I'll take the bad with the good.

Just my opinion.

Charlie

Charlie, as usual I'm agreeing with you 100%. I also think that some
people like to use this group as a popularity contest, "look at me, I'm
great I just rescued 5 kittens and bought lotttttttttttttttttttttttts of
toys for them and took pics to show everyone and well gee ain't I
wonderful". Meanwhile these same people overstep boundaries and take
things to rl, which is totally inexcusable.

Old September 15th 05, 04:56 AM
Trish

"5cats" wrote in message
meee wrote:

Even if someone in the group was being obnoxious,
wouldn't you just block them and/or not open their posts?

Yes, normally you would. But, it seems that at least one person kept

nym-
shifting, which would make blocking them more difficult. (hearsay, I

wasn't
here at the time)

In a court of law hearsay means sweet f*ck all, so zip it here too, if
you don't know the facts then stop feeding bull****

Old September 15th 05, 08:27 AM
meee

Trish wrote in message
.. .

"Charlie Wilkes"
link.net wrote in
message ...
In article ,
"meee" wrote:
[...]

ROTFL very true trish! hail to the cat gods!

Old September 15th 05, 03:59 PM
Zach's Pussy Waxing & Hair Loss Clinics

Lamey - The cable guy yammered:

On 14 Sep 2005 16:41:15 -0700, wrote:

Lamey - The cable guy wrote:

Just purty. There's always a line around me...I guess that'd be a
circle. There's always a circle around me.

Candace

A jerk circle?

Yeah, I'm purty sure that's what they're all doing

Candace

Send them away and let me have my way with you.

You dog, I saw her first
Old September 16th 05, 04:17 AM
Justin L

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:30:00 GMT,
@nowhere (Charlie Wilkes) wrote:

In article ,
Justin L wrote:

snip

Sure, I could do that. But firewalls are like killfiles. They work, but
the price is that you don't really know what is going on.

that is one of the most bizarre statements I think I have ever read.
You smoking that good **** tonight?

Yes.

groovy

You actually know more what is going on when you run a firewall,
because they have logging capabilities, and most software firewalls
have program control (where it asks if you want to allow a program to
access the Internet)
Even if you are anti-firewall, for some crazy reason, you shouldn't
have any open ports listening for anonymous connections, that is just
asking for trouble. I don't know much about this DDE you spoke of, but
is it really needed? Can you disable it?

I don't know anything about it either, but I can find out whatever I need
to learn, right? My general understanding is that these guys can upload
scripts to open ports the same way the IRC crowd swaps files.

I was pretty alarmed over the weekend, to be honest. I didn't follow a
rational test procedure. Instead, when this started happening, I just
figured it is a script somewhere, I'll deal with it later, meanwhile I'll
switch over to my pure DOS machine. But that appeared to be uploading
data too! I checked my TSRs... nothing unusual.

That made me think these guys had something pretty clever going on. But, it
turned out there is a faulty diode on my external modem. The TD light
stays lit sometimes even when the connection is dead. Once I figured that
out, I went back and checked my registry and immediately saw the problem.

As for my bizarre statement, it's interesting to see what can happen. I
have a collection of malicious software packed in a zip file.
How else would I come by that?

I don' understand what you mean here. You can download malicious
software from a number of places, if you are into that sort of thing.
If you are really interested in playing around with that crap, set up
a small network, not connected to the net, just to be safe.
You never know what it can do...

Unfortunately all the scripts are compiled.
I'll bet they were compiled before these boneheads got them, too.

Do you patch your operating system?

No. I'm more worried about what MS might decide to put on my drive than
I am about these kids.

why? Why would MS want to put anything malicious on your computer? I
know, it is popular to hate and fear the evil MS shrug

S corporate customers are the ones who want all
these script processors baked into the OS, so they can manipulate systems
and get information when people visit their web sites. The kids are doing
the same thing big corporations pay programmers in India to do.

Actually, MS is supposedly trying to put a stop to all that crap
infecting IE.
http://research.microsoft.com/HoneyMonkey/

Most of my technology toys come from the junk store. I can rebuild any
drive I own in a couple of hours. Any data files
I care about are burned and tucked away. My credit cards are insured.
I got no kiddie porn or terrorist plots to hide from the world.

You know, they can use your computer to store things like kiddie porn
without your knowledge? Also they can use your system to attack other
systems. So that logic is pretty much flawed

They aren't going to store anything without my knowing about it. I've got
a thin dialup connection, and at this point, I've set up a way of
comparing files etc. so I can see everything that has changed.
I am also wiping my slack.

You are probably right, since you are using a dial up connection you
are relatively safe. I would still read up on some computer security.
An excellent site is www.grc.com
He has security scans set up so you can test your system, and he isn't
trying to sell you anything...

But I still don't want some useless asshole messing with my system, on
principle.

You are an easy prey, it's as simple as that.

It looks like these "malicious hackers" need easy prey or else they are SOL.

pretty much true, for most of them.

Old September 16th 05, 08:52 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 03:17:31 GMT, Justin L
wrote:

I don' understand what you mean here. You can download malicious
software from a number of places, if you are into that sort of thing.
If you are really interested in playing around with that crap, set up
a small network, not connected to the net, just to be safe.
You never know what it can do...

My point is mainly that I'm open to the learning experience. My
system is easy to reconstitute from scratch if necessary.

Unfortunately all the scripts are compiled.
I'll bet they were compiled before these boneheads got them, too.

Do you patch your operating system?

No. I'm more worried about what MS might decide to put on my drive than
I am about these kids.

why? Why would MS want to put anything malicious on your computer? I
know, it is popular to hate and fear the evil MS shrug

All reputations are earned.

S corporate customers are the ones who want all
these script processors baked into the OS, so they can manipulate systems
and get information when people visit their web sites. The kids are doing
the same thing big corporations pay programmers in India to do.

Actually, MS is supposedly trying to put a stop to all that crap
infecting IE.
http://research.microsoft.com/HoneyMonkey/

They have two incompatible agendas. Yes, they want the OS to be
secure. But they also want to make powerful scripting capabilities
available so that businesses can deliver more "services" over the
internet. Unfortunately, a lot of these "services" involve deception.
I signed up for a free Juno account, and pretty soon they installed
spyware on my machine, labeled as though it was some sort of
enhancement. They are entitled to do it because it's a free,
ad-supported account. But it's still crap I don't want. The fewer
script engines I can get by with, the less of that **** I deal with.
But MS wants me to have them all, because they are selling the
development tools to exploit them.

I paid $25 for a special W98 installer that cuts the size of the
installation in half, with no functionality lost that I care about.

You are probably right, since you are using a dial up connection you
are relatively safe. I would still read up on some computer security.
An excellent site is www.grc.com
He has security scans set up so you can test your system, and he isn't
trying to sell you anything...

I am going to get some security going on my system, including a good
firewall. This isn't really a big problem, but it's a nuisance.

Charlie