Feline Leukemia - need suggestions for postive cat living with negative cat.

Old August 26th 04, 12:47 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Mike at
wrote on 8/25/04 8:37AM:

I just typed up a large post and had it vanish so I'll try again and
hope I don't forget anything.

After a day of keeping them apart I decided to put them back together
again (which made them happy). Both the cats and I were miserable and
I was getting stressed out because I had constantly be with one or the
other and had no time for myself (even while I was at work I was
thinking about the cats). In the end I think this was the best
decision for all 3 of us.

I figure the vet recommended separating them because that is the text
book recommendation, but the situation in this case is different.
These 2 cats have been together their whole lives (around 5 to 6
months). The 2 cats tested negative on July 3rd after they were
donated along with their 3 other sibblings (they might not be
sibblings, but all 5 kittens were donated at the same time). The
shelter says they disinfect all cages, bowls, etc. nightly and that
only those 5 were ever in the same cage at the same time. This leads
me to believe the virus was gestating in one of them (probably her) at
the time they were donated. Because of this I have a gut feeling she
got it from her mother.

The downside to not separating them is that the vet will not vaccinate
him unless he has been isolated for more than 30 days and tests
negative. His rational is if the virus is gestating in his body then
vaccinating him may actually cause more harm than good. Because I put
them together he will never vaccinate him. I figured though that
if he's survived having her vomit on him and him licking it off (which
happened two weeks ago) and not got infected then he can survive
anything.

I got 2 kittens so that each kitten could have a playmate and so they
wouldn't get lonely while I was away. I know the odds are
against me, but I've decided to stick with this original plan, FeLV or
not, and hope that despite their immune systems not being fully
developed that both of them are strong enough to fight off the disease.

Thanks for all your advice.

You know, you have an advantage knowing of her infection. The key with this
disease no matter what is getting prompt treatment any time something crops
up. Treating sympotomatically. You will never sit on your hands if someone
is off color. I hope you can continue to try and boost her immune system in
some way. Please keep us updated. I feel for you, but no matter if they are
with us months, or years, or days, a family is a family.