Former feral cat Behavior

Old April 21st 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Former feral cat Behavior

Living next door to a farm for the past 20+ years, I've had a lot of
strays. I spent as much time with them as I could, which was a lot -
and I found one of the most effective ways to bond was to get down on
the floor and just talk softly to them. At first I offered treats and
then after the treats were gone just talked softly. Often they will be
mesmerized by the sound of your voice and it gives them a feeling of
safety, and then when they hear your voice again, they associate it
with comfort. Don't reach for them, if you put your hand over their
head, they are going to bulk and run. Put your hand out on floor on
his level, not too close, but close enough that he can check it out,
and just leave it there and let him feel you near his space. Nearly
all of them will cave in, but some never do. You don't know what's
happened to him before he came to live with you, and sometimes the
traumas are too big to overcome completely, but at least if he can
find peace with you, even at a distance, it's a good life for him.

Old April 22nd 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Apr 20, 8:34 am, Cat Guy wrote:
" wrote:
I'm not sure what his complete history is.

I noticed that you didn't answer my first question, which was if both
cats were neutered / spayed.

Yes they are neutered.

Verna

Old April 22nd 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Apr 20, 8:34 am, Cat Guy wrote:
" wrote:
I'm not sure what his complete history is.

I noticed that you didn't answer my first question, which was if both
cats were neutered / spayed.

Yes they both neutered.

Old April 22nd 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
capricious

On Apr 19, 9:24 am, "
wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I adopted two cats one is a former feral.He is getting used to my
place and gets along with my other cat but he is still afraid of me.He
is getting better but when I stand up or walk in his direction he runs
away.Any tips from any one to help him trust me?

Not sure if this is will be an echo of something already said, but, in
my experiences with feril cats:

They are very slow to accept the domestication lifestyle and still
allow their inner instincts to rule their life instead of basic
"logic". Instead of thinking "Oh its just my owner" they only think
"Something BIG is moving, YIKES!". With my feril cats though, after
they finally did get over their skiddishness and relax, they turned
out to be some of the most dedicated cats I've owned. They truly seem
to show their genuine appreciation for you taking them in under their
wing. Again, this is in my experience with 5-7 different feril cats
throughout my lifetime. Almost all turned out to have this same type
of loyalty--almost dog-like. A high percentage of life-long-
domesticated cats seem to be much more independent, whereas ferils
seem to recognize your importance in their life more.

In short, in the end with good patience, it's worth it!