More about r.p.c.a. and Facebook

Old November 13th 11, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Default More about r.p.c.a. and Facebook

I think it was pretty childish of people to send private emails
about someone on this group, in response to a public disagreement
that stayed entirely within the bounds of civility, if not warm
fuzzies.

Facebook is quite often used by gangs of bullies to coordinate
harassment. Zuckerberg and his minions have continued to deny
any liability even when that has ended in suicide (which has
occurred quite frequently in the UK).

No idea who's been communicating privately about who, but this
sort of behaviour is just par for the course and one reason why
I'm never going near it.

Old November 13th 11, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 14/11/2011 7:45 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In . net, MaryL
wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
"Robert Catt" wrote in message ...

For the reasons I've given here in a previous post, and after a brief
interchange with a certain member of this newsgroup, I've decided to
restrict my involvement with r.p.c.a. to its group at Facebook. Other
people have written to me me about this individual, and their
comments about him are part of the reason I will no longer be reading
or posting to this newsgroup. As of today I've removed it from my
list.

- - - - - - - - - -

I have taken the opposite approach (but certainly not because of any
of our posters). I refuse to use Facebook, for this group or any
other group. My objection is to Facebook itself, not to individual
posters.

MaryL

I really don't understand peoples hostility to Facebook when they're
happy to use usenet which is accessible by anybody. With Facebook, you
can decide who can or can't see your posts. -- Adrian

That's *exactly* the problem I have with Facebook. I don't have to want
to be invited to join. It reminds me a lot of moderated newsgroups and
web forums where people can decide what you can and cannot post. With
rpca on usenet, I can easily killfile someone (and vice versa) if I
don't like the things they're posting.

Jill

- - - - - - - - -

Agreed. In addition, Facebook is notorious for sharing information.
The r.p.c.a. group seems to be an "invite only" group, but even that
would require members to use personal information to sign up. Facebook
has a history of changing their "rules" in ways that may not be
acceptable to users.

MaryL

I agree. There are far too many people trying to control me, some I have
to tolerate but I refuse to have it in my personal life. Also many
employers check out facebook if you apply for a job. It's worrying as
things can be posted on facebook that you don't know about and again, have
no control over.

Facebook? No thanks.

Whilst folks have every right to choose not to use Facebook for whatever
reason, I feel I need to address a few misconceptions:

The RPCAgroup on Facebook is indeed 'secret' so as to stop all comers
joining and to stop what is said in RPCA appearing on your "wall" so its
a safe place to talk. It is not a 'secret' in that just a select few
know about it - otherwise it wouldn't be mentioned here.

Its not so much "invite only" as that the right to read & post has to be
granted, rather that any old person being able to access the group.
However, the only way to stop trolls, spammers and the like from
accessing the group means there has to be some sort of 'gate' at the
front - which is the "one of the admins has to approve your membership"
process. IMHO, this is not much different that NIN (for example)
cleaning up the news feed to remove spam, gross cross-posts and the
worst of the trolls.

Facebook has no way of knowing the information you provide it is
accurate. Mooch-the-cat posts to Facebook, for example. The only
information they can gather on you is what you provide, and thats
entirely up to you. An admin simply has to know that "Mr Snookums" is or
has been an RPCA poster, or another member can vouch for their
relationship with The Mothership, and they'll be granted access. Us
hoomins will know who "Mr Snookums" really is, but Facebook need not know

And whilst RPCA-FB *could* be moderated, it isn't.

You can control who writes on your wall if you wish, and if you want to
be really conservative you can choose to have no Facebook friends at all
and yet still post to a group like RPCA (although you'll have to be
friends with an admin for about 5 minutes so you can be let into the
group - then you can unfriend them). You can lock your profile so no-one
can access it.

IMHO, Usenet is a far less private place than Facebook as there is no
control over who sees your posts nor any entirely effective way to
delete them afterward.

But if you don't feel comfortable using Facebook - or even just plain
don't want to - thats fine. Its certainly a more complicated place than
Usenet is, for good and for ill.

Yowie

Old November 13th 11, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Judith Latham wrote:
In article , MaryL

I agree. There are far too many people trying to control me, some I have
to tolerate but I refuse to have it in my personal life. Also many
employers check out facebook if you apply for a job. It's worrying as
things can be posted on facebook that you don't know about and again, have
no control over.

Facebook? No thanks.

Judith

it's not just Facebook they trawl, I assume you use your real name on
usenet, everything you post is easily found by google. Not necessarily true
for Facebook.

--
Adrian
Old November 13th 11, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"MaryL" wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

"Adrian" wrote in message

That's *exactly* the problem I have with Facebook. I don't have to want to
be invited to join. It reminds me a lot of moderated newsgroups and web
forums where people can decide what you can and cannot post. With rpca on
usenet, I can easily killfile someone (and vice versa) if I don't like the
things they're posting.

Jill

- - - - - - - - -

Agreed. In addition, Facebook is notorious for sharing information. The
r.p.c.a. group seems to be an "invite only" group, but even that would
require members to use personal information to sign up. Facebook has a
history of changing their "rules" in ways that may not be acceptable to users.

MaryL

That is just not true, at least two members of the group on Facebook use
totally fictitious information it is no less safe than usenet which can be
trawled by anyone.
--
Adrian
Old November 13th 11, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:
Adrian wrote:
news wrote:
Umm, who are you?
If you were a regular of the group you'd know.

Not true! (I've been a "regular" for nearly ten years, and I've never
encountered him before.)

I think you're lying.

--
Adrian
Old November 13th 11, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Really? I think you are being overly optimistic!

Do you have any evidence that I'm wrong?
--
Adrian
Old November 13th 11, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Patok[_2_]

Adrian wrote:
news wrote:

Umm, who are you?

If you were a regular of the group you'd know.

Not true! (I've been a "regular" for nearly ten years, and I've never
encountered him before.)

I think you're lying.

I think you're wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time either ).
It is possible that Evelyn really didn't notice the creature. I felt the
same as she did, but decided to check. To my surprise Robert (or Bob)
Catt has about 35 messages here on rpca for the past one year. I'm
certain I've read every one of them (I read all messages), but the name
rang no bell; it's as if they slid accross and did not register at all.
I'm guessing something similar happened to Evelyn's perceptions.
Anyhow, I for one won't miss him, as I was not even aware he was here
before.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
*
Old November 14th 11, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

Adrian wrote:
news wrote:

Umm, who are you?

If you were a regular of the group you'd know.

Not true! (I've been a "regular" for nearly ten years, and I've never
encountered him before.)

I think you're lying.

I think you're wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time either ). It
is possible that Evelyn really didn't notice the creature. I felt the
same as she did, but decided to check. To my surprise Robert (or Bob)
Catt has about 35 messages here on rpca for the past one year. I'm
certain I've read every one of them (I read all messages), but the name
rang no bell; it's as if they slid accross and did not register at all.
I'm guessing something similar happened to Evelyn's perceptions.
Anyhow, I for one won't miss him, as I was not even aware he was here
before.

Wouldn't it be nice(?) if our memories were unfailing? I have a slight
memory(I think) of him (?) writing about an outside cat under a table.
But then again, I'm not sure. If memory fails, we need good notes. But
then again, keeping notes is a bother.....whatever.......... MLB
Old November 14th 11, 02:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Adrian wrote:
news wrote:
Umm, who are you?
If you were a regular of the group you'd know.

Not true! (I've been a "regular" for nearly ten years, and I've never
encountered him before.)

I think you're lying.

--
Adrian

- - - - - - - - - -

I also don't have any recollection of him. I admit that I often skim over a
lot of messages, especially if it is a long thread. However, it wouldn't
surprise me if I had actually replied to some of his messages and then
forgotten about it. For one thing, I don't always associate the name with
the message.

MaryL

FACEBOOK CAT :) Persian Cats - misc 1 July 9th 12 01:49 PM
r.p.c.a on Facebook Robert Catt Cat anecdotes 17 November 15th 11 09:31 PM
Facebook Sherry Cat anecdotes 4 January 26th 11 09:54 PM
For Those Who Are On Facebook. tanadashoes Cat anecdotes 0 May 21st 10 02:46 PM
OT Facebook Kyla =^..^=[_2_] Cat anecdotes 0 September 21st 09 11:01 PM