how many calories in a bird?

Old July 19th 03, 01:20 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Cheryl" wrote in message

I posted a picture of Shamrock climbing it in
alt.binaries.pictures.animals LOL He almost got out so I've had to
enclose the top, too. It's under my deck in the rear of the house
(eastern exposure) and the mesh is 7 1/2' tall so I didn't think he'd
climb it but he was determined to get out. The picture is under the
thread called "Climbing Kitty" and I posted it last night. It doesn't
show the whole thing but I'll have to get a few of those up. Check
back on http://community.webshots.com/album/48246898KBEaSJ in a few
days and I'll try to get some better pictures up there. It isn't
portable, though.

I saw that one and had thought it was you when you mentioned your enclosure,
but it was already deleted from my cache so I couldn't double check. That
was one cute picture! He really wanted out, didn't he?! And his little
brother (sister) staring right at the camera made it especially adorable!
S/he really did look like s/he was wondering "What the heck is he doing?"
Or maybe it was "Let me out so I can do it, too!" And might I say, Shamrock
is one agile cat. I don't think my cat could ever manage a climb like that!
Then again, I didn't think she could catch and eat a bird, either...

rona

Old July 19th 03, 01:20 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Rona Yuthasastrakosol at
wrote on 7/18/03 6:47 PM:

"Cheryl" wrote in message

I don't think one slip is going to hurt. It's like people on a
diet -- you have to allow for a treat sometimes or else it will never
work. With cats, you're in complete control so this maybe was her way
of saying "heh. I got my *own* food so screw you!". LOL j/k

Knowing her, I'm sure that's exactly what she was thinking LOL! She is,
after all, the one who jumped on my face because it was in her way. She
also slept on my arm one night and falsely led me to believe she was finally
getting all lovey dovey (she's generally a bit distant). But then I
realized her pillow had fallen on the floor and she just just wanted
something cushy to lie down on. As soon as I put the pillow back in place,
she moved right on over! I was terribly insulted! ;-)

Agreed. I've tried harnesses and all Shadow wants to do is sit and
eat grass so I built an outdoor enclosure. Now I'm just really
worried about the mosquitoes; they swarm here and with the whole West
Nile thing and heartworm, I wasn't prepared for that. Just fleas.
Time for a new parasite treatment, heartguard for cats, I guess? I
don't know what to do about the West Nile, though. I heard there was
a vaccination for dogs... I'd hate to have to add another vax..
*sigh*

Do you, by chance, have plans for, or pictures of, your cat enclosure? I
would love her to have one that is portable, so I could move it to the front
or back yard. I'd also like one that lets sun in from the top as well as
the sides. I'm thinking it would have to be fairly large, though, and I'm
sure my neighbours would not be too keen on us having something like that in
our yard. They are quite difficult about these kinds of things (they would
probably prefer we not even have a cat, despite the fact that she's not even
allowed to roam freely!).

rona

Rona, if you can make it look like a little garden, they probably wouldn't
raise a fit. You know, add some little cosmetic architectural ornamentation
on the outside (are you in the U.S.? Lots of that type of thing at flea
markets, second hand stores and even home decor places) and make it "pretty"
and you could claim it's a gazebo or roman temple that's just screened in.

Karen

Old July 19th 03, 05:07 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
Rona, if you can make it look like a little garden, they probably wouldn't
raise a fit. You know, add some little cosmetic architectural

ornamentation
on the outside (are you in the U.S.? Lots of that type of thing at flea
markets, second hand stores and even home decor places) and make it

"pretty"
and you could claim it's a gazebo or roman temple that's just screened in.

Karen

There's a plan! I'm in Canada, and there are lots of garage sales in my
area. I'm not very good at the decorating thing, though, so my little
enclosure might end up looking like another garage sale :-). I'm not very
good at building things, either, so who knows what'll happen! (I'm still
working on that cat tree idea...and the scratching post thing...and...)

rona

Old July 19th 03, 05:13 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Priscilla Ballou" wrote in message

I wonder how the feathers and bones affect the caloric total. They may
add some in, but I wonder how many calories are burned in digesting
those extras.

Judging from how tired she was yesterday, lots :-). She used up a lot of
energy catching the bird, eating it, then playing around with the heart (mom
said when she finally remembered to let Kitty back in, she opened the door
and saw Kitty batting the heart--or some other innard--back and forth on the
front step). She was still up at 5 asking for her breakfast, though, and
ate all of her dinner last night--in one sitting. I think she doesn't
really have a stomach. That's why she's never full.

rona