My Cat Has No Will To Eat or Drink and Is Very Weak

Old January 15th 04, 04:44 PM
Ian C

Amy is currently taking half a tablet of "Periactin" which is the
trade name for Cyproheptadine every morning and night to attempt to
stimulate her appetite, I don't know the actualy dosage in mg because
I am not at home right now. Has anyone had any experience with this
drug causing lethargy? I have seen several references to this
occuring.
Old January 16th 04, 01:40 AM
Wendy

"Ian C" wrote in message
om...
Amy is currently taking half a tablet of "Periactin" which is the
trade name for Cyproheptadine every morning and night to attempt to
stimulate her appetite, I don't know the actualy dosage in mg because
I am not at home right now. Has anyone had any experience with this
drug causing lethargy? I have seen several references to this
occuring.

I had Tigger on this before the holidays. She only received 1/2 pill tho and
that got her eating again. A few days later I had to give her the other
half. I didn't notice it making her any more lethargic than she already was
at the time but she wasn't in great shape so who could tell.

Old January 17th 04, 03:08 AM
MacCandace

Amy is currently taking half a tablet of "Periactin" which is the
trade name for Cyproheptadine every morning and night to attempt to
stimulate her appetite, I don't know the actualy dosage in mg because
I am not at home right now. Has anyone had any experience with this
drug causing lethargy? I have seen several references to this
occuring.

I give it to my cat, Cory, who has mild CRF and hyperthyroidism once in awhile
when he seems to not feel well for a day. It doesn't cause lethary in him,
tho. In fact, it makes him sort of "wired." He paces around and can't seem to
sleep, he'll lay down for a couple minutes, get up, lay down, get up. I don't
like giving it to him because it seems like it makes him uncomfortable but if
he doesn't eat for a day, I give it to him because I figure that's worse. It
always seems to work and gets him started again. It also makes his little
voice hoarse so he meows funny when on it.

I hope your little Amy recovers fully.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old January 17th 04, 05:10 AM
Ian C

We've decided to put her down, were not sure when but it will have to
be tomorrow or the following day as Amy is becoming very weak. I
don't want her to starve to death or suffer organ failure, so
euthanasia is the best course. She has no will to live, I could force
feed her for the rest of her life but she is no rag doll cat and was
always very willful, I'd feel worse about myself forcing food down her
throat while she hisses and growls at me wishing she was dead. Does
anyone have any advice for dealing with authorizing the murder of your
own cat? I don't think I can take this.

Old January 17th 04, 03:15 PM
Ian C

Now that I think about it, putting her to sleep is for more than just
the pain. It would be quite loving to put her to sleep as Amy doesn't
sleep much anymore (I assume she is sleeping some time), instead she
lays around on her side with her eyes open staring blankly.