The things you come across on Usenet (cats)

Old July 7th 07, 11:34 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

Default The things you come across on Usenet (cats)

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Baldoni @googlemail.com" baldoniXXVnil wrote in
message
I would never let any of my cats wear a collar.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/control-pet-cats/

Saying that the people in the UK are watched and spied
upon by Govt agencies, who knows what is next. Camera's
in trees !

What a load of crap. Cats are wild animals, here in the UK they have the
right to roam where they please, long may it remain so.

As to being spied on, that's more true than anywhere else. There are more
CCTV cameras per head of population in the UK than anywhere else in the
world.

George Orwell had it almost right, he just got the year wrong.

Ivor

When Adlai Stevenson was a NYC judge, he wrote a beautiful paragraph in a
decision to disallow a cat leash law....I wish I could find it, but I
haven't been able to.

Old July 7th 07, 11:38 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"Professor" wrote in message
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Baldoni @googlemail.com" baldoniXXVnil wrote in
message
I would never let any of my cats wear a collar.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/control-pet-cats/

Saying that the people in the UK are watched and spied
upon by Govt agencies, who knows what is next. Camera's
in trees !

What a load of crap. Cats are wild animals, here in the UK they have the
right to roam where they please, long may it remain so.

You never let us forget that you like having cats run over by cars.
In British-ese they refer to guys like you as a bit "thick", right?

You probably have him mixed up with me. - I am the one who "likes having
cats run over by cars". (in your simpleton's mind.)
The only real difference is that I know that it isn't the cats
fault....When cats are run down by cars, I know that the fault belongs to
the cars, and not the cats.

Old July 7th 07, 11:41 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"Baldoni @googlemail.com" baldoniXXVnil wrote in message
Professor explained on 07/07/2007 :
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Baldoni @googlemail.com" baldoniXXVnil wrote in
message
I would never let any of my cats wear a collar.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/control-pet-cats/

Saying that the people in the UK are watched and spied
upon by Govt agencies, who knows what is next. Camera's
in trees !

What a load of crap. Cats are wild animals, here in the UK they have the
right to roam where they please, long may it remain so.

You never let us forget that you like having cats run over by cars.
In British-ese they refer to guys like you as a bit "thick", right?

Nobody likes having there cats run over by cars. The same as nobody likes
having their dogs run over by cars. In some parts of the UK it is quite
normal for sheep to roam along the side of the road and cross it.

I picked a cat up last year that had been run over and the owner was in a
lot of distress. I did not check to see if he had been castrated but that
is a big help to stop them roaming.

It is something that can be argued about all week but when cats decided
they were going to hang out with humans I doubt they were hoping to be
incarcerated. A lot of people would argue that it is cruel to keep them
indoors all the time.

--
Count Baldoni

The residential speed limit here is 25 mph. If people obeyed it, the number
of cats that are run down would drop to almost nothing. The reason most cats
are run down by cars is because of teenage-minded people who drive their two
ton SUV's at 40 mph plus in residential areas.

Old July 7th 07, 11:45 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

[...]

getting your pet fixed will stop the roaming. missy is fixed, she's happy
just laying by the open patio door. missy will venture out from time to
time but shes never very far from home.

to argue about letting a cat out or not, lock yourself up in your house
for a week and watch the world go by through a window.

This is true.....My "fixed" cats seldom venture off the property line. It is
only the unfixed male feral cat that travels, and he only goes a block and a
half away.....I do expect him to get run down one of these days, however.
But he is already over 6 years old, so he has outlived most feral cats
already.

Old July 7th 07, 11:52 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Baldoni @googlemail.com" baldoniXXVnil wrote in
message
I would never let any of my cats wear a collar.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/control-pet-cats/

Saying that the people in the UK are watched and spied
upon by Govt agencies, who knows what is next. Camera's in trees !

What a load of crap. Cats are wild animals, here in the
UK they have the right to roam where they please, long
may it remain so.

You never let us forget that you like having cats run
over by cars. In British-ese they refer to guys like you
as a bit "thick", right?

Who said I like cats run over by cars..? I've had cats all my life (I'm
52) and none of them have ever been run over, hit or otherwise injured as
a result of being outdoors. It all depends where you live.

What I *don't* like is keeping a naturally outdoor animal a prisoner. But
we've had this "discussion" before.

Ivor

Yes. It is a peculiarly liberal position. (keeping cats locked up indoors to
preserve their life) Liberals think that living a long life trumps
everything else....They love what I call, "padded cell laws", that have the
preservation of life their prime purpose. Motorcycle helmet laws are a prime
example.....And seat belt laws, too. Their argument is that my life doesn't
belong to me, but to the state.....They would like everything to, "belong to
the state". I would like to grab them by the collar, and shake them and say,
"Everybody, and everything dies sooner or later. Some of us just want to
enjoy the few years we have here while we are still alive. Now, why don't
you want to give us that right?"

Old July 7th 07, 11:54 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 13:36:54 +0100, Baldoni
wrote:

I would never let any of my cats wear a collar.

That used to be my position ... until I got three that I can't tell
apart, and apart form a fourth, at any distance without color-coded
collars. I use 1/2 inch elastic with the ends stapled together and
colored with permanent markers. The two that are most similar lose
them frequently, so something cheap is necessary.

They make "break-free" collars that will separate if the cat catches it on a
fence or something. I use these....The only cat I have that can't keep one
on is the feral cat.....He loses his after only a few days.

Old July 8th 07, 12:21 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ted Davis

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 15:54:55 -0700, "William Graham"
wrote:

They make "break-free" collars that will separate if the cat catches it on a
fence or something. I use these....The only cat I have that can't keep one
on is the feral cat.....He loses his after only a few days.

I can buy a *lot* on elastic and markers for what *one* commercial
breakaway collar costs. They lose about one a month.

--
T.E.D. ) Remove "gearbox.maem" to get real address - that one is dead
Old July 8th 07, 12:45 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Baldoni

on 07/07/2007, William Graham supposed :
"Baldoni @googlemail.com" baldoniXXVnil wrote in message
I would never let any of my cats wear a collar.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/control-pet-cats/

Saying that the people in the UK are watched and spied upon by Govt
agencies, who knows what is next. Camera's in trees !

-- Count Baldoni

Any country that has nothing better to do than catch cats to make sure they
have collars with one or more regulation bells on them deserves to die a
natural death and be taken over by some country whose management has better
things to do....GB is no exception.........

I have always wished that Switzerland would invade but it ain't going
to happen.

The authorities are looking in peoples refuse bins to check there are
no items that should be re-cycled in there.

For all the camera's they can't police the streets properly never mind
spy on cats doing their business in the vegetable plots and borders.

Mark my words there will be some act or law within the European Courts
that will give the cat its basic right to go to toilet in privacy.

--
Count Baldoni

Old July 8th 07, 12:50 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

wrote:

They make "break-free" collars that will separate if the cat catches it on
fence or something. I use these....The only cat I have that can't keep one
on is the feral cat.....He loses his after only a few days.

I can buy a *lot* on elastic and markers for what *one* commercial
breakaway collar costs. They lose about one a month.

Yeah....If I wanted to keep using collars on the feral male, I would
probably use an elastic band, but the breakaway collar I did use did it's
job....The other family in the neighborhood that was feeding him telephoned
me, so I know who they are, and where he was going. (they have a hot tub, so
he liked to sleep there on its cover) Now, it doesn't make any difference,
so he goes collarless......

Old July 8th 07, 12:54 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

[...]

Sounds like you guys are suffering from, "liberalmania". I know that we are
suffering from it here, but our case hasn't progressed quite as far as
yours......:^) I do keep a sharp eye on what happens over there so I'll know
the prognosis of the disease......