Found Some Blood on the Floor

Old March 22nd 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

Default Found Some Blood on the Floor

Well, here we are again, worrying about Max.

It is after 12:00 pm and the vets office is closed now. I am going to
give them a call anyway...

But, does anyone know what this could be?

Max is the kitty that just had the surgery for the crystals in his
urine, and he is very nicely healed up now. His fur is beginning to
grow back and he is starting to look normal again - just to give you
an idea of how long ago the surgery was...

We have two cats, and both use all the litterboxes in the house.

I found what appears to be about a dime sized bit of blood smeared on
the floor of the bathroom (looked to be diluted possibly with urine,
it wasn't bright red) and also a drop of blood about a foot away from
the same litterbox.

I strongly suspect Max is the culprit but there is no way for me to
know for sure... But I have not detected any blood in the litterbox. I
am about to go downstairs to clean it out and will double check at
that time.

I don't know where the blood might have come from, neither Max nor
Butterball normally "miss" the litterbox.

What I mean to say is that I have no idea if the blood is from, maybe
a wound, or from using the litterbox? Does that make sense?

Old March 22nd 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

The vet called back... gave me a few scenarios, actually.

Since I am not absolutely sure (though quite sure) that is is not
Butterball... I am going to keep a really close eye on them both
today.

Neither of them is "acting" sick and they both have excellent
appetites today.

I can bring a cat in over the weekend if I need to... just to have a
technician check the cat out.

I guess we are playing it by ear.
Old March 22nd 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

Sorry to keep posting on this...

I am suspecting a bladder infection? Is this common after this sort of
surgery?
Old March 22nd 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

On Mar 22, 12:42 pm, mlbriggs wrote:
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 10:16:33 -0700, mc wrote:
Sorry to keep posting on this...

I am suspecting a bladder infection? Is this common after this sort of
surgery?

Yes, I kind of wondered that too... I suspect a bladder infection.

Old March 22nd 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"mc" wrote

Sorry to keep posting on this...

Don't be. We are cat people here.

I am suspecting a bladder infection? Is this common after this sort of
surgery?

Not as far as i know, and I am just as mystified as you on this one. I can
offer only well wishes this time.

Wait! A spark of memory. Gently check both of their mouths. Had a cat
lose a tooth once and he bled a little like that. It wasnt near any cat
litter so no assocoation was made to that, but found the sore mouth then the
missing tooth near the food bowl.

Old March 22nd 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 10:16:33 -0700, mc wrote:

Sorry to keep posting on this...

I am suspecting a bladder infection? Is this common after this sort of
surgery?

I hope you discover the cause. Did you check their claws?Best wishes.
Old March 22nd 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"mc" wrote in message
Sorry to keep posting on this...

I am suspecting a bladder infection? Is this common after this sort of
surgery?

Yes, this can happen with a bladder infection. I would be especially
suspicious of that as a possibility since Max has had bladder surgery. I
would also want to have Max checked *immediately* because bladder infections
can quickly become serious. I saw in your other message that you did
contact your vet. If it were me, I would follow up on the statement that
you could bring Max in over the weekend to have a technician check him
out -- but I would definitely want a urinalysis to go along with that.

Please keep us updated.

MaryL

Old March 22nd 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

I would definitely say a bladder infection. Same thing happened to my
male kitty about a year ago - although it did not follow a surgery. I
found a drop of blood on the kitchen floor one morning - wiped it up
thinking one of us must have cut a finger or something. Then found
another the next morning and found one inches away from the litter
pan. Off to the vet we went - the vet said that when they strain to
urinate, it breaks some capillaries - and thus the blood. Get him in
for a urinalysis now! These infections get worse fast - especially if
you are already seeing blood. Let us know how he does.
Sharon

Old March 22nd 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

mc,
I've heard that cats that have the surgery that Max had still can get
urinary infections. That may be what this is. You'll want to have your vet
check him (but I'm sure you've already come to that conclusion).

Hope everything is okay.

S.
---

Old March 23rd 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"mc" wrote in message
[...]

Use a flea comb and find out if either cat has fleas.

I once went absolutely bananas once trying to find the source of little
droplets of blood all over the bathroom (I thought maybe one of my cats had
a sinus infection and was sneezing blood droplets). I had a very wise vet
who examined both cats thoroughly and told me to treat the cats for fleas.
It seems that flea feces (poo) consists of dried blood (makes sense, it's
what they eat). In humid areas, like a bathroom or laundry room, the dried
feces can become wet again and looks like drops of blood (which would make
it look watery also).

Having just had a cat who had surgery for a blockage, I would, for sure, get
him to the vet immediately. But just keep this in mind if they can't find
anything wrong with him.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Has any one had a cat with blood in the stool? yogipet-online Cat health & behaviour 12 February 28th 06 04:52 PM
Blood in feces Dick Smyth Cats - misc 6 June 28th 04 07:44 AM
Blood clot... ~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ Cat health & behaviour 28 April 24th 04 08:48 AM
blood near ear Joe Diamond Cat health & behaviour 4 November 3rd 03 07:31 PM
Blood in stool? Gail Cat health & behaviour 9 September 29th 03 08:20 PM