[OT] Barbaro Nearing Hospital Release

Old December 14th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeanne Hedge

Default [OT] Barbaro Nearing Hospital Release

But his future at stud is still uncertain...

Wednesday, December 13, 2006
Barbaro could be released from hospital in near future

Associated Press

KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. -- Barbaro's surgeon said the Kentucky Derby
winner could be released from the hospital "in the not so distant
future."

Dean Richardson, chief surgeon at the University of Pennsylvania's New
Bolton Center, declined to offer a timetable for the horse's release.

"His departure from here depends on many things. In my mind's eye, he
can leave in the not so distant future," Richardson said Wednesday.

Richardson, who has been cautious in his updates since Barbaro was
admitted for what doctors described as "life-threatening injuries,"
continued to sound optimistic Wednesday, saying the horse is still
making good progress.

He said Barbaro's weight fluctuates, but that is common with
hospitalized horses. He said the colt's appetite, vital signs and
blood work are good and that the horse's coat "looks beautiful."

"As soon as we believe he can be managed as well somewhere else, he
will go somewhere else," Richardson said.

The full article is at

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/hor...ory?id=2696782

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old December 14th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
gracecat

Did it say why his stud career was uncertain? I can imagine he can't mount a
mare but they can umm.. manipulate the goods out of him

Grace

Old December 14th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

I was very surprised to see Richardson say this. It's great because he
is extremely cautious about getting anyone's hopes up. This is looking
really good.

Old December 14th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

Well, he has had a major catastrophic break on one hind leg and is only
about 1/3 a way through healing a very very bad case of laminitis on
the other. So his two biggest supports for live mounting are not really
going to be 100% and it's a pretty laborious act, hard on the back
legs. He will be very lucky if he can mount a mare. You can't do
artificial insemination with thoroughbreds. It isn't accepted so there
is no use. Plus, it's apparently not that easy to get sperm
successfully.

Old December 14th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
gracecat

Ah!

I understood why he wasn't able to mount the mares. That made sense.

I had forgotten about the AI with thoroughbreds. Funny though because they
do AI the quarterhorses.

I wonder what his stud fees would do at any rate. About two to three weeks
before Barbaro's break there was another horse from the same mother who
suffered a very similar break and had to be put down. At least that's what I
heard through the grapevine. Dad's horses compete in the Reigning division
of AQHA events and from a friend of a friend of a friend who owned stock in
Barbaro's sister... or something.

POINT IS! LOL, if it's a genetic quirk based on the gossip I heard, he may
not be good at all if many more sibs do the same.

Grace

Old December 14th 06, 10:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:25:51 -0600, "gracecat"
wrote:

Did it say why his stud career was uncertain? I can imagine he can't mount a
mare but they can umm.. manipulate the goods out of him

The Jockey Club doesn't allow artificial insemination for race horses.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.
Old December 14th 06, 10:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tish

That may be true, but there are mare trenches. These are usually used
when a small-breed stallion covers a larger breed mare to get the
important bits of the mare down to a level the stallion can reach.
Barbaro could be trained to use something similar.

Tish

Old December 14th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeanne

Default Barbaro Nearing Hospital Release

gracecat wrote:
Ah!

I understood why he wasn't able to mount the mares. That made sense.

I had forgotten about the AI with thoroughbreds. Funny though because they
do AI the quarterhorses.

I wonder why they don't AI thorobreds. Surely it's not one of those
"just because" things...

Jeanne Hedge, as directed remotely by Natasha
posting via Google

Old December 14th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

I really think the main reasons are tradition and also, fear of being able
to mess up bloodlines.

"Jeanne" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old December 15th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeanne Hedge

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:16:47 -0600, "Karen"
wrote:

I really think the main reasons are tradition and also, fear of being able
to mess up bloodlines.

I used to work with a woman who bred and showed Morgan horses. She was
always going over bloodlines, and was trying to trace those of a
couple of her horses back to the original Morgans.

Anyway, as much as she used to curse about all the inbreeding and
"extra curricular breeding" (her words for breeding a Morgan with some
other breed), I think she'd say that it doesn't take AI to mess up a
bloodline, people can do it perfectly well via the more natural
methods too g