Ping Victor (or other Spanish-speaking members)

Old December 12th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

Default Ping Victor (or other Spanish-speaking members)

I have to put a sign up in our break room at work asking the cleaning crew
(who speak no English) to not open the dish washer or turn off the
dishwasher switch. Can you tell me if this is a fair translation (I used
the babelfish web site to get this)?

English:
Please do not open the dishwasher or turn off the right switch above the
sink.

Spanish:
No abra por favor el lavaplatos ni dé vuelta apagado al interruptor derecho
sobre el fregadero.

Thanks in advance!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 12th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
pistor

CatNipped wrote:
English:
Please do not open the dishwasher or turn off the right switch above the
sink.

Spanish:
No abra por favor el lavaplatos ni dé vuelta apagado al interruptor derecho
sobre el fregadero.

I'd say it like this:

Por favor no abra el lavaplatos ni apague el interruptor del lado
derecho arriba del fregadero.

Cheers.

Vcitor

Old December 12th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

"pistor" wrote in message
oups.com...
CatNipped wrote:
English:
Please do not open the dishwasher or turn off the right switch above the
sink.

Spanish:
No abra por favor el lavaplatos ni dé vuelta apagado al interruptor
derecho
sobre el fregadero.

I'd say it like this:

Por favor no abra el lavaplatos ni apague el interruptor del lado
derecho arriba del fregadero.

Cheers.

Vcitor

Thanks Victor!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 13th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeanne Hedge

On 12 Dec 2006 09:40:35 -0800, "pistor" wrote:

CatNipped wrote:
English:
Please do not open the dishwasher or turn off the right switch above the
sink.

Spanish:
No abra por favor el lavaplatos ni dé vuelta apagado al interruptor derecho
sobre el fregadero.

I'd say it like this:

Por favor no abra el lavaplatos ni apague el interruptor del lado
derecho arriba del fregadero.

Cheers.

Vcitor

For the linguistically challenged among us, what's the difference
between the two versions as far as meaning?

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old December 13th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
Spanish:
No abra por favor el lavaplatos ni dé vuelta apagado al interruptor derecho
sobre el fregadero.

I'd say it like this:

Por favor no abra el lavaplatos ni apague el interruptor del lado
derecho arriba del fregadero.

For the linguistically challenged among us, what's the difference
between the two versions as far as meaning?

I think most native speakers would understand what was meant in the
first message, I'm just using better grammar.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old December 13th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Victor Martinez wrote:
Jeanne Hedge wrote:
Spanish:
No abra por favor el lavaplatos ni dé vuelta apagado al
interruptor derecho sobre el fregadero.
I'd say it like this:

Por favor no abra el lavaplatos ni apague el interruptor del lado
derecho arriba del fregadero.

For the linguistically challenged among us, what's the difference
between the two versions as far as meaning?

I think most native speakers would understand what was meant in the
first message, I'm just using better grammar.

LOL Babelfish isn't known for good grammar, is it? Sometimes translations
are downright funny!

Jill

Old December 13th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"jmcquown" wrote

LOL Babelfish isn't known for good grammar, is it? Sometimes translations
are downright funny!

If you really want funny, try translating a sentence from English to
Spanish, then copy the result and translate it back to English.

Example done at http://www.freetranslation.com :

My cat Tommy has stripes on his belly.

Mi gato Soldado Raso tiene rayas en el vientre.

My cat Flat Soldier has lines in the womb.

Old December 13th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Pat" wrote

"jmcquown" wrote

LOL Babelfish isn't known for good grammar, is it? Sometimes
translations
are downright funny!

If you really want funny, try translating a sentence from English to
Spanish, then copy the result and translate it back to English.

Example done at http://www.freetranslation.com :

My cat Tommy has stripes on his belly.

Mi gato Soldado Raso tiene rayas en el vientre.

My cat Flat Soldier has lines in the womb.

The same example done at http://world.altavista.com/tr which has more
to/from language options:

My cat Tommy has stripes on his belly.

English to Greek:
? ??ta µ?? Tommy ??e? ta ????de? st?? ?????? t??.

Greek to French:
Ma ga'ta Tommy a les bandes à son ventre

French to German:
Mein ga' dein Tommy hat die Bänder an seinem Bauch.

German to English:
Mine ga ' your Tommy has the volumes at its belly.

Old December 13th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Pat wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote

LOL Babelfish isn't known for good grammar, is it? Sometimes translations
are downright funny!

If you really want funny, try translating a sentence from English to
Spanish, then copy the result and translate it back to English.

Example done at http://www.freetranslation.com :

My cat Tommy has stripes on his belly.

Mi gato Soldado Raso tiene rayas en el vientre.

My cat Flat Soldier has lines in the womb.

They translated a name?? (Not that this is the only problem with that
translation.)

Language still requires live humans, it would seem - at least for the
time being!

Joyce
Old December 14th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Pat wrote:
"Pat" wrote

"jmcquown" wrote

[...]

Hehehe. Glad to see we human translators are not going to be obsolete
any time soon.