Other than dindin what words do your pets know?

Old September 17th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.rabbits
WZ

Default Other than dindin what words do your pets know?

My rabbit Pepper knows "no" - it means "stop whatever you're doing and
run to the kitchen for a treat".

Also "out" which means "oops - mom caught me in the bedroom again"

Wendy & Pepper Z
Chicago
Old September 17th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.rabbits
Charley's human

On Sep 15, 1:14 pm, James wrote:
My cat will run to the door when I say out and she wants out. I'm
sure she knows her name and come but she usually acts like she don't
understand. Other times she would come running from a great
distance. In the house she never comes when called.

I had a rabbit who would stand up when I said up. He would do that
pretty consistantly even without visual clue. Then I tried clicker
training with him and got nowhere.

Charley understands "no", but usually ignores me. He understands his
name; the word "ready", which I say when I'm about to toss his ping-
pong ball; "fetch", which he does if he feels like it; "down" which I
tell him when he's on the countertop, but he just lays down instead
(not perfect communication); and he seems to understand "do you want
your breakfast" no matter how I say it--but I think that's because he
knows the routine.

Michelle

Old September 18th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.rabbits
Nona

Lots of words, including the phrase "clip nails" -- their signal to run
and hide.

Nona
Old September 18th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.rabbits

On 15 Sep, 21:14, James wrote:
My cat will run to the door when I say out and she wants out. I'm
sure she knows her name and come but she usually acts like she don't
understand. Other times she would come running from a great
distance. In the house she never comes when called.

I had a rabbit who would stand up when I said up. He would do that
pretty consistently even without visual clue. Then I tried clicker
training with him and got nowhere.

Oh Yes, Several words, but not all of them are words to be repeated in
a fine room such as this one, lol. Binky is the best one with words. I
am "almost" certain he can speak far more Human words than I will ever
know about cat-chat.

I am convinced that the tone of your voice has a lot to do with your
cat's conceptions of the words you use. For instance- If I tell him
it's dinner time, he bounds in like a shot. But, when I tell him it's
vets today, down goes the tail, & Binky goes hiding for an hour or
two. Typical cat!
K.

Old September 18th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.rabbits
Grace

Cat's can also tell a lot from our body language. Whenever I get into
the fridge to get ours a snack, she is just all over me, tail up,
making her *murrtle* sound, just a happy camper. But if I reach
inside to get her medicine, she knows immediately without me saying a
word, and off she goes to hide, so it must be something in my action
or posture that gives me away.

Grace

Old September 18th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.rabbits
-Lost

Response from Grace :

Cat's can also tell a lot from our body language. Whenever I get
into the fridge to get ours a snack, she is just all over me, tail
up, making her *murrtle* sound, just a happy camper. But if I
reach inside to get her medicine, she knows immediately without me
saying a word, and off she goes to hide, so it must be something
in my action or posture that gives me away.

I agree. With animals in general I think they can get an idea of what
you are on about by your posture and mannerisms. Even more so when the
animal is familiar with you.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 18th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

-Lost wrote;

I agree. With animals in general I think
they can get an idea of what you are
on about by your posture and
mannerisms. Even more so when the
animal is familiar with you.

I'm not so sure. I think they can read minds.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old September 20th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.rabbits
Martha[_2_]

On Sep 18, 5:50 pm, "-Lost" wrote:
Response from Grace :

Cat's can also tell a lot from our body language. Whenever I get
into the fridge to get ours a snack, she is just all over me, tail
up, making her *murrtle* sound, just a happy camper. But if I
reach inside to get her medicine, she knows immediately without me
saying a word, and off she goes to hide, so it must be something
in my action or posture that gives me away.

I agree. With animals in general I think they can get an idea of what
you are on about by your posture and mannerisms. Even more so when the
animal is familiar with you.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

I think ours know several words "breakfast," "treat," "pellets,"
"NO!" They also figure out what is happening from words, tone of
voice and actions. For instance, as soon as I take the t-shirt off the
top of the carrier, they know that I'm going to put them in for the
ride to the lake or back home. they immediately go and hide.
Martha

Old September 21st 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.rabbits
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, James exclaimed (9/16/2007 5:44 AM):
My cat will run to the door when I say out and she wants out. I'm
sure she knows her name and come but she usually acts like she don't
understand. Other times she would come running from a great
distance. In the house she never comes when called.

I had a rabbit who would stand up when I said up. He would do that
pretty consistantly even without visual clue. Then I tried clicker
training with him and got nowhere.

Meep knows her name (she'll even flick an ear towards us if we mention
her in conversation). She understands "you can come up" (onto my lap)
and "do you want to go out?" (she goes out in our fenced yard, under
supervision).

She knows the different flavors of "no", as in "No [stop that!]!" and
"no [don't start that]" and "no [you can't go out]".

She understand 'In', though I usually need to resort to, "get in the
house, NOW!"

She also understands tone-of-voice, and may ignore a gentle admonition,
but never ignores when I use what I've heard called the "mommy voice".

She's learning "what do you want" - she comes and meows at me, and if
I'm not sure what she wants, I'll ask that, and follow her around the house.

She also understands what I mean by banging her food bowl on the mat,
when she complains that what's in her bowl isn't what she wants.
Picking it up and putting it back firmly down means "tough, this is what
you get!".

She's got me better trained though. I understand:
Food?
Food!
This isn't food, where's the *real* food?!
Scritches? Now!
I want to come up, please.
Out!
Pay Attention!
Clean the litterbox, please.

And a few other communications from my favorite feline

jmc
Old September 25th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Grawun

My cat probably knows more words than she lets me know that she knows.
She knows her name, she knows "come sit with me." "treat" "let's go
to bed."
"it's OK." "come on." "come up." "no."
Of course she understands fussing around in the kitchen means dinner
or a least a treat. Getting out the carrier means she better hide. She
must recognize the sound of my car because she is always at the door
waiting when I get home.