PING Shiral

Old October 31st 07, 07:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default PING Shiral

Hey, everything OK down there in the South Bay? You're not that far from
East San Jose are you? Hope you didn't have any damage, hope your kitties
are OK.

We had a moderate earthquake (5.6) tonight in San Jose. I live 50 miles
from there, but Shiral is much closer. I was in a restaurant with a
friend, actually more like 25 miles from the epicenter, and I definitely
felt it. But because my friend kept looking impatiently toward the kitchen,
I thought she was shaking her leg in impatience. She thought I was
shaking my leg. Then we both realized that we were on a concrete floor,
and no amount of leg shaking would make the floor shake like that!

That's the report from California...

Joyce
Old October 31st 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

wrote in message
Hey, everything OK down there in the South Bay? You're not that far from
East San Jose are you? Hope you didn't have any damage, hope your kitties
are OK.

We had a moderate earthquake (5.6) tonight in San Jose. I live 50 miles
from there, but Shiral is much closer. I was in a restaurant with a
friend, actually more like 25 miles from the epicenter, and I definitely
felt it. But because my friend kept looking impatiently toward the
kitchen,
I thought she was shaking her leg in impatience. She thought I was
shaking my leg. Then we both realized that we were on a concrete floor,
and no amount of leg shaking would make the floor shake like that!

That's the report from California...

Joyce

Whole lotta shakin' going on. Glad to hear no bridges fell down.

I remember I was watching the World Series in 1989, the famous Bay series,
with the famous earthquake. All of a sudden everything went sideways. Very
surreal experience.

Old October 31st 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

That was the Anaheim quake and it was a very bad one. From what I
understand the one in northern CA wasn't bad; no reported injuries. But
we
know how the news can change by the minute.

Years ago I wrote an article for the newsletter for company I worked for
(then) about earthquake preparedness and what to do in the event of a bad
one. I titled it "All Shook Up" (due to the Memphis connection). A lot
of
people who live in my area don't realize we're on the tail end of the 2nd
largest fault-line in the U.S. I know I saved that newsletter but I'll be
darned if I can find it. My file cabinet has grown sloppy over the years

Jill

That's right, the New Madrid! And I only know that because of Tim McCarver,
of all people.

Most people probably know McCarver as the chatty know-it-all ex-jock analyst
on Fox baseball broadcasts, but for around fourteen years, he was on the New
York Mets broadcast team, and he was wonderful. I still basically like
McCarver, but the national stage has kind of de-colored him, leaving only
the annoying bits. Not only did he know a lot about baseball, and giuve
fascinating insights into the tactics of the game (and tell great stories
about Bob Gibson and Steve Carlton), but he had all kind of other nerdy
fascinations, too, and he would somehow work it into the game. He was the
first person I ever heard talk about El Nino and La Nina. And because he
was from Tennessee, when there was seismic activity in the Bay Area (like in
'89) he would remind everybody that the biggest quake in the contiguous US
states had happened in 1812, on the New Madrid fault. The Mississippi River
changed directions!

Old October 31st 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Used to be a Tim McCarver Stadium in Memphis. It was replaced by Autozone
Park. How typical - move the team to some stadium named after a
corporation
rather than a person.

Arrgh, I hate that, too. It happens everywhere now. The Mets' new stadium
will be Citi Field, after CitiBank.

McCarver used to talk often about his days playing for the Memphis Chicks.
I love minor league baseball team names.

Old October 31st 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

Kreisleriana wrote:

I remember I was watching the World Series in 1989, the famous Bay
series, with the famous earthquake. All of a sudden everything went
sideways. Very surreal experience.

That was the Anaheim quake and it was a very bad one. From what I
understand the one in northern CA wasn't bad; no reported injuries.
But we know how the news can change by the minute.

???

No, the 1989 quake that Theresa was referring to was in the San Francisco
(and also Santa Cruz) area, and it was huge - 7.1. *Lots* of damage,
many deaths. (Although miraculously, far fewer than one might think.
Fewer than 100 people died, in an area where millions of people live.)

Quite a few homes in San Francisco had big fires, many collapsed. One
bridge was out of commission, and a large section of freeway collapsed
on top of motorists during rush hour. In Santa Cruz, the entire downtown
area was wrecked and had to be rebuilt.

That year the World Series (a misnomer, since it involves only the US -
we're talking baseball here) was played between two Bay Area teams, and
the game was about to begin at the many-times-renamed Candlestick Park.
So there was a lot of media around, including cameras on helicopters and
a blimp. Because of that, the rest of us (I still lived in Massachusetts
at the time) got reports and images of the quake before people who lived
here knew exactly what had happened. Power was out, phone lines were
jammed, it was impossible to find out the real story if you were here.

I don't know about an Anaheim quake - was that recent? There was a big
one in LA in 1994, called the Northridge quake, that also did a lot of
damage.

Joyce
Old October 31st 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

I don't know about an Anaheim quake - was that recent? There was a big
one in LA in 1994, called the Northridge quake, that also did a lot of
damage.

No, this was 1989. Maybe Anaheim was the name of the freeway?

No, the freeway that collapsed was known as the Nimitz Freeway, and
the particular area that collapsed was called the Cypress structure.

The quake itself is known as the Loma Prieta quake, because that's
the area where the epicenter was located.

I don't remember the name Anaheim being involved in any way. I'm
sure if there was a huge earthquake at Disneyland, we'd all know about
it!

Joyce
Old October 31st 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Kreisleriana" drtmuiratearthlink.net wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

I had a class in Florida a few days later. The instructor had been at the
ball game. He was a wreck.

Jo

Old October 31st 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Kreisleriana wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Indeed it did - or so legend has it That quake allegedly created
Reelfoot Lake, which is one of the few places where you can go on tours and
see bald eagles nesting in the wild.

Jill

Old October 31st 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

No, the freeway that collapsed was known as the Nimitz Freeway, and
the particular area that collapsed was called the Cypress structure.

The quake itself is known as the Loma Prieta quake, because that's
the area where the epicenter was located.

I don't remember the name Anaheim being involved in any way. I'm
sure if there was a huge earthquake at Disneyland, we'd all know about
it!

Joyce

I think the quake everyone is associating with Anaheim was the Whittier
Narrows quake of 1987. Anaheim is very close to Whittier Narrows.
Something like a magnitude 6, 8 or 9 deaths. I was living 10 or 15 miles
from the epicenter at that time

The other big quakes in CA were the Northridge quake in 94 (several dozen
fatalities) and the Landers quake in 92 (very few fatalities due to the
remoteness of the epicenter).

Dan

Ping: Eva cindys Cat health & behaviour 2 March 20th 07 07:35 PM
PING: Dan M Pat Cat anecdotes 3 October 2nd 06 04:38 PM
PING: Tak Karen Cat anecdotes 12 September 27th 06 09:39 PM
Ping Tak CatNipped Cat anecdotes 16 January 24th 06 04:23 AM
PING: Pat Sherry Cat anecdotes 69 July 22nd 04 02:48 PM