Lion Cut

Old January 31st 04, 04:01 AM
John Biltz

Default Lion Cut

I am curious about the lion cut. Bruiser is awfully fuzzy, well
beautifully fuzzy. He did not have any problems last summer but he is a
lot fuzzier now. I am curious if anyone else has a Main Coon in the
southwest and how well they deal with the heat. I'd hate to tamper with
his fuzziness if I don't have to. There is no way I'd let them cut that
tail, it's his pride and joy, the envy of the cat neighborhood.

Old January 31st 04, 04:17 AM
Sherry

I am curious about the lion cut. Bruiser is awfully fuzzy, well
beautifully fuzzy. He did not have any problems last summer but he is a
lot fuzzier now. I am curious if anyone else has a Main Coon in the
southwest and how well they deal with the heat. I'd hate to tamper with
his fuzziness if I don't have to. There is no way I'd let them cut that
tail, it's his pride and joy, the envy of the cat neighborhood.

My daughter got her Maine Coon Dexter a lion cut last summer. His fur mats very
badly. I thought he acted like he felt better and was more active. I thought
also he looked cute after I got used to it. Maybe the heat bothered him more
than we realized. He never gets out really in the sun, just an enclosed patio.
The vet did warn her that he shouldn't go outdoors because he'd get a sunburn.

Sherry
Old January 31st 04, 04:43 AM
John Biltz

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:17:56 -0800, Sherry wrote
(in message ):

[...]

If it mats he'll have to get one, I was thinking more preventitive. The
sun in Vegas is literally lethal and I think the fur does help insulate
and protect and he is an outdoor cat. I think I will just have to wait
and see. The other thing I was wondering is how long does it take to
grow back.

Old January 31st 04, 05:10 AM
Helen Wheels

John Biltz wrote:
[...]

Where I am (Perth on the West coast of Australia) the weather
gets fairly hot in summer with temperature in the high 30's to
low/mid 40's Celsius, and I've never seen or heard of the lion
cut thing being done here. I think you're right about the long
coat being good insulation, and with an outdoor cat I'd be
worrying about sunburn and skin cancers. My long-haired Arthur
does seem to enjoy having his coat combed in summer that much
more though - I think that cold metal comb must feel extra nice then.
Helen Wheels

Old January 31st 04, 08:03 AM
Hopitus2

Am sure sun is "lethal" in Vegas, but doubt it's any worse, heat or
humidity, than sun in this area (south FL, USA). Don't give your outdoor cat
a lion cut unless you will keep him indoors in daylight hours....vets warned
me re "sunburn" and "skin cancer" when we used to get Mr. Fuzz (Chinchilla
Persian, RB '95) lion cuts in summer for his comfort. Our cats don't go
outside but vet didn't know that. It took Mr. Fuzz about 3 months to grow
his fur all back, FYI. Persian fur is more like thick wool....I know what
Maine Coon Cat's fur is like...not like that, but very long. I can't imagine
what one would look like with a lion cut.....probably gross.
Maybe you could just trim him up some instead of the shaving deal.

.net...
:

Old January 31st 04, 04:05 PM

Persian fur is more like thick wool....I
know what Maine Coon Cat's fur is
like...not like that, but very long. I can't
imagine what one would look like with a
lion cut.....probably gross.

A lion cut done right (the tail must be done as well for it to be a
proper lion cut) can look great on any cat. I have a large (25 lb) cat
named Marvin that has very baby fine fur that mats so easily I have
chosen to give him a lion cut on a regular basis. Everyone that sees him
raves about how gorgeous he looks! He really does look like a lion. You
can see a pic of him he
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320...6/11174002.jpg

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old January 31st 04, 09:18 PM
Hopitus2

Well, hi, Megan, pleased to see a post from you here in a cat ng that
sometimes ventures far from cat discussions. Hope you and yours are AOK
these days. LOL, did not mean to call Marvin "gross"....lion cut most
attractive on him, despite my misgivings....he just looks "different" from
the way Mr. Fuzz did with his (and like most Chinchilla Persians, Fuzz was
very small in size compared to Mr. Marvin).

wrote in message
[...]
: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
: nothing."
:
: -Edmund Burke
:
: Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
: http://www.stopdeclaw.com
:
: Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
: http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22
:
: "Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one
: elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and
: splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then
: providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
: raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and
: material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his
: way."
:
: - W.H. Murray
:
:

Old February 1st 04, 06:42 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

John Biltz wrote:

I am curious about the lion cut. Bruiser is awfully fuzzy, well
beautifully fuzzy. He did not have any problems last summer but he is a
lot fuzzier now. I am curious if anyone else has a Main Coon in the
southwest and how well they deal with the heat. I'd hate to tamper with
his fuzziness if I don't have to. There is no way I'd let them cut that
tail, it's his pride and joy, the envy of the cat neighborhood.

Actually, I think the fur acts as insulation against both heat and
cold. Also remember, cats have a much higher normal body temperature
than humans, so what seems hot to us may be just pleasantly warm to
them. Rather than worry about his thick fur coat, I'd just be sure he
had plenty of fresh water available, and not encourage energetic play in
the heat. Left to their own devices, cats generally find a shady spot
and nap away the hot hours of the day. (For that matter, a healthy cat
sleeps eighteen to twenty hours out of every twenty-four!)