OT Cutty Sark fire

Old May 21st 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

Default OT Cutty Sark fire

When I was three or four, my dad got engrossed in building a model
ship, and I watched. It was a tiny, beautiful ship. My dad told me
it was a clipper ship, and its name was "Cutty Sark."

The funny name is from a Robert Burns poem. It means "short skirt,"
after the abbreviated garment worn by Nannie, a sexy little Scottish
witch. Her skirt isn't only short, she's topless, too, and she
appears as the ship's figurehead.

The first time I went to London, I had to make sure, I went to
Greenwich to visit the lovely little ship. It's the last existing
remnant of the tea clipper fleet. And at the moment, it's barely
existing-- it was nearly destroyed in a fire early this morning.

The clipper had already been on the English register of Buildings at
Risk, and closed to the public for a thorough restoration job. The
fire has been called suspicious by authorities.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old May 21st 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message

[...]

I saw pictures of the fire, and it really made me sad. I have never seen a
clipper ship, but I love the old tall ships and saw them when I visited
Mystic Seaport. We toured the reproduction of the Mayflower when I was a
child, and I remember being amazed at how small it was.

MaryL

Old May 21st 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

[...]

That is sad. I heard they may be able to repair it. I hope so.

A piece of my family history has gone up in flames, too. Another arson
fire. Some of you may have seen the movie "Stand by Me", about a high
school teacher who inspired students others had said couldn't succeed. It
was filmed at Garfield High School in East Los Angeles. My parents met at,
and graduated from Garfield.

Joy

Old May 24th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

[...]

Don't worry. Half of the ship had been taken away during the restoration
and is safe elsewhere. It will be able to be restored (alledgedly)

Tweed

Old May 25th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 24 May 2007 21:50:28 +0100, "Christina Websell"
yodeled:

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Hope so.
Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old May 26th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen

wrote:

Don't worry. Half of the ship had been taken away during the restoration
and is safe elsewhere. It will be able to be restored (alledgedly)

An old wooden ship can be like the farmer's hatchet: the handle's been
replaced seven times and the head six, but it's still the same
hatchet.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.
Old May 26th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

Don't worry. Half of the ship had been taken away during the restoration
and is safe elsewhere. It will be able to be restored (alledgedly)

An old wooden ship can be like the farmer's hatchet: the handle's been
replaced seven times and the head six, but it's still the same
hatchet.

I don't think this applies to the Cutty Sark. It's my understanding that a
lot of the original ship is safe, elsewhere, while the restoration is going
on. I may be proved wrong, but I don't think so. We'll have to see.

Tweed

Get Set! Point! Fire! [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 May 3rd 07 06:22 PM
Where's the fire? Marina Cat anecdotes 18 November 18th 06 07:13 PM
[OT] A fire next door Karen Cat anecdotes 6 June 5th 05 03:30 AM
Fire purrs jen.d Cat anecdotes 12 August 24th 03 11:48 PM
What happens in a FIRE? news.verizon.net Cat health & behaviour 24 July 29th 03 07:00 PM