He's home, He's home!!

Old April 22nd 04, 07:27 PM
Tanada

Steve Touchstone wrote:

Speaking as someone who spent 20 years in the Army, 17 1/2 of that
time in field units. I only went to one "war," but I can't count the
number of times my various units were away from home on 30 days to 6
months deployments. I was never married, but witnessed first hand how
hard it is on the wives (and husbands) and kids.

Very few are really cut out for military life. I was one of the lucky
ones, I have my own inner resources, and though my life doesn't feel
complete when Rob is gone, I can keep myself busy until we get together
again. Many of the marriages ended up in divorce because the spouses
couldn't handle the training separations, strange hours, plans that
hinge on an if, and promises that can't be kept.

It's hard, but very rewarding. We'll never forget the wonderful people
we've met all over the country (world for Rob, ask him about them),
traveling all over the USA, learning about different parts of the
country, and getting to become more than a family from the sticks. I
hated parts of military life, but I loved so much more, including
becoming a foster parent to lots of soldiers. These are some of the
greatest kids in the world. I wish more people appreciated them the way
they deserve.

Pam S.

Old April 22nd 04, 10:57 PM
Annie Wxill

"Tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...
.... It's hard, but very rewarding. We'll never forget the wonderful people
we've met all over the country ...
Pam S.

You've got that right. We are still in touch with some of Jim's classmates
from flight school. We are looking forward to seeing some of them again in
July when we attend a Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association reunion in
Dallas. And it's amazing to me how many of the women are original issue
wives.
Annie

Old April 22nd 04, 11:06 PM
Annie Wxill

"Tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...
.... When Rob was in, I dreaded seeing an official car driving up our
street because I knew there was an officer, chaplain, and grief
assistant in it. Ft Campbell averaged 40+ training deaths a year.
Other posts were comparable. We saw those cars on a regular basis. I
haven't seen one in years, but the dream of one coming down my street
still makes me wake up covered with sweat and panting. Annie you're a
much braver girl than I am.

Pam S.

Maybe I was just too young and too in love to know better. I certainly
wasn't brave. I think being pregnant and having a baby gave me the
motivation to hold myself together.
Unlike you, I did not live on a military post. (In fact I have never lived
on a military post. They never had enough housing.) I did not have to watch
the official cars go up the street. I think that would have pushed me
totally over the edge.
Annie

Old April 23rd 04, 01:35 PM
Annie Wxill

"Gracecat" wrote in message

Yup... my brother in law who (pardon the pun) dodged that bullet last year
just received notice they may be deployed. ...
Grace

Best wishes to your BIL and all of your family. I hope he stays safe.
Annie