Weebles - cat and TV jingle

Old October 11th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobcat

Default Weebles - cat and TV jingle

When I posted my "final" list of Mooch's fans, I neglected to include
Weeble, one of Magic Mood Jeep's 11 kitties. I rectified that, but it
put me in mind of something Oscar Brand, a long-time family friend,
once told me. It may entertain you even though it's not about cats.

Oscar is an award-winning, legendary folk song artist and composer with
a weekly radio program, "Folk Song Festival" on WNYC New York that
celebrated its 60th anniversary last December - the longest
continuously running radio show with a single host. Oscar's achievement
will be noted in the next Guinness Book of World Records. He's also a
great guy to have as a friend. He was born in Canada, but he lives now
on Long Island. He's concertized with Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger,
Leadbelly and many other great folk artists, but like any musician he's
had to pay the bills. So one time when his agent called him and said a
New York ad agency wanted Oscar to record the musical jingle for a new
Weebles TV commercial, he accepted - especially since the jingle was
only a few words long - "Weebles wobble, but they won't fall down."
Easy. A snap.

Oscar arrived at the recording studio with his trusty guitar thinking
this would only take a few minutes. Wrong. The director called for
"take two". Then another take...and another...and another... Finally,
exhausted, Oscar was told that they were satisfied. Oscar said that by
this time the lyrics were meaningless. What's a weeble? what's a
wobble? What does fall down mean?

A few weeks later Oscar saw the new Weebles commercial come on TV, so
he turned up the volume. Who was that singing? It couldn't be him! The
engineers had doctored his voice beyond all recognition. Oh well, he
thought, there are always the royalty cheques!

So now I have two memories of Weebles: The cat I forgot. And the jingle
lyrics whose meaning Oscar forgot!

(You can hear Oscar Brand's long-running program "Folk Song Festival"
on WNYC through your computer, live on Saturday evenings

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/folksong/

Old October 11th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood JeepŠ

Weebles was named for that toy/jingle!!!

He was about 1 day old when I got him, eyes closed, no teeth, umbilical cord
still attached. And he was tring to get up on all four legs and walk
(instead of shuffle along on his belly, like a seal), and he was rather
unsteady. He ended up doing a hand-stand, on his nose, back legs dangling,
before he flopped over. Good thing he was so itty bitty and was low to the
ground

But upon seeing him get up on all fours, I said to DH, "Look, he's all
weebly-wobbly!". And it stuck. His "official" name is Sir Weeble
Wobblybottom LOL

In ups.com,
Bobcat purred:

Old October 11th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Bobcat wrote:

When I posted my "final" list of Mooch's fans, I neglected to include
Weeble, one of Magic Mood Jeep's 11 kitties. I rectified that, but it
put me in mind of something Oscar Brand, a long-time family friend,
once told me. It may entertain you even though it's not about cats.

I was cleaning out my bookmarks the other day (I have to do this once in
a while, or else my "Favorites" menu is a total mess), and I found a link
to an album by Oscar Brand called "I Love Cats". Were you the person who
posted that link? Anyway, I went to the site and listened to the music.
Cute songs, all about kitties!

Joyce - I'd repost that link, but it's on my home computer and I'm not
at home at the moment.
Old October 11th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobcat

wrote:
I was cleaning out my bookmarks the other day (I have to do this once in
a while, or else my "Favorites" menu is a total mess), and I found a link
to an album by Oscar Brand called "I Love Cats". Were you the person who
posted that link? Anyway, I went to the site and listened to the music.
Cute songs, all about kitties!
Joyce - I'd repost that link, but it's on my home computer and I'm not
at home at the moment.

Yes, Ithat was me, although I can't find my post in my files. I may
have sent you one or more of several links. You mentioned listening to
the songs. You can do that at Amazon's website:

http://www.amazon.com/I-Love-Cats-Os.../dp/B000001I62

Here's another link, to Oscar Brand's home page which mentions "I Love
Cats" and gives details about Oscar:

http://www.oscarbrand.com/

Oscar's website contains an order form, where you can order his CDs and
cassetes including "I Love Cats" directly from Oscar himself. Here's a
link to it:

http://www.oscarbrand.com/order.htm

I hope one or more are what you're looking for, and that it helps
Joyce!
Bobcat

Old October 12th 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobcat

Bobcat wrote:
Something Oscar Brand, a long-time family friend, once told me: his agent called
him and said a New York ad agency wanted Oscar to record the musical jingle for a new
Weebles TV commercial. He accepted - especially since the jingle was
only a few words long - "Weebles wobble, but they won't fall down."
Easy. A snap.

I forwarded some of these posts about Oscar to him. He corrected me on
those lyrics, saying he'd had to sing two lines, not just one. They
we

"What do you know about a Weeble?
Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!"

Thanks, Oscar. I stand (sit, actually) corrected!

Old October 12th 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Dats my boyfurrend you're talking about!

Persia (who is happy Weebles likes older cats!)