UPDATE : Miss Lily Whiskers and more purrs please. :(

Old August 30th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

Default UPDATE : Miss Lily Whiskers and more purrs please. :(

"Will in New Haven" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 30, 1:52 pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
jofirey wrote:
wrote in message
roups.com...

Well, Miss Lily Whiskers is now minus 2 inches of her tail. ( I
picked her up at 4.30pm, and brought her home. She came through the
anaesthetic OK, and seemed OK when I got her. I brought her home, and
the first thing she did when she got out of th carrier was smack her
newly bandaged tail against the table leg. Blood went everywhere
because the bandage was soaked in 30 seconds flat. So straight back
off to the vet we went.

She is boarding at the vet overnight because he can then keep her
confined in a cat pen. I am deeply unhappy about this, simply because
I want my baby home where I can keep an eye on her and I miss her.
Logic states that it is much easier to leave her at TED because she'll
be confined and quiet rather than trying to order the dog about, get
out through the cat flap, chase mowsies and batter her tail silly,
but.... ((

I don't know what to make of this locum vet. He certainly seems very
competent and good with the animals, and Michael (normal TED) would
never leave the practice in the hands of someone who wasn't up to his
exacting standards, but I don't like him. That's probably because I've
got used to my vets explaining what they are doing and what drugs they
are using and why, and this guy seems to work in a very brusque &
dismissive manner with the owners which I don't like. Also, the
surgery is not manned 24 hours which I *REALLY* don't like although
the animals are checked reguarly...

Please send purrs that she has a reasonable night, and I get some
sleep and that I don't worry *too* much. (

Thanks
Helen M

Purrs on the way. I wouldn't have expected any less from Miss Lily.
She
didn't get this far by cooperating.

One of the best vets we've had, had no people skills whatsoever. It
was a
wonder he had any clients at all. He had an artificial leg, and I
think it
pained him. The older he got, the worse he got.

But he was amazing with the animals and his skills were top notch.
Even if
he did make you feel you didn't deserve to take them home when he was
done.
He was good about explaining things though.

He tolerated us because our Sam had injured a leg as a kitten and had a
steel pin holding it together. He liked Sam.

Jo

I suspect that one reason some vets BECOME vets instead of
people doctors is because they lack "people skills". (And
probably don't find forensic medicine particularly appealing.)

Possibly but it is often because they got admitted to a vet school,
which is harder than getting admitted to a med school.

It may be atypical but I was _delighted_ one day when I worked at the
bookstore at Yale Med School when a young first-year came in and
returned her texts and said that she was dropping out because she had
recieved a late admission to Auburn Veterinary. Take that Yale.

Will in New Haven

Its been my experience that most vets have a better scientific grounding and
more scientific curiosity than most doctors do. But that might be because
we live close to UC Davis. Most of the vets around here are around here
because they are still connected with the university. Many of them would be
quite happy to care for animals and do research and forget running a
practice.

Jo

Old August 30th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

OMG this is horrible! Poor Miss Lily! Mega purrs coming for her. Do you have
any idea of what happened? Not that it matters I guess but OMG this is so
sad!

Old August 30th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jofirey wrote:

Its been my experience that most vets have a better scientific grounding and
more scientific curiosity than most doctors do. But that might be because
we live close to UC Davis. Most of the vets around here are around here
because they are still connected with the university. Many of them would be
quite happy to care for animals and do research and forget running a
practice.

I would imagine that in any population of doctors, some percentage
are in the profession because of reasons other than scientific
curiosity. Such as, the desire to help people. (But the same could
be true for vets, substituting "animals" for "people".)

And then there's the money angle. Doctors make more than vets. Plus
they have a lot more prestige. I'm not implying that all doctors are
after money and prestige, but some of them certainly do have that
motivation, and my theory is that this would affect a greater percentage
of doctors than vets.

I like your theory best, though - you're near a research and educational
institution, so you're surrounded by people who are interested in science.
Makes sense to me.

Joyce
Old August 30th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Poor Miss Lily Whiskers!

Purrs a plenty coming her way - and a goodly few to her worried Meowmie too.

Yowie

--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old August 30th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Purrs for Miss Lily Whiskers, and for you.

((((((((Helen))))))))

--
Joy

"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an
empty desk? -- Jay Brand, cognitive psychologist

Old August 31st 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Chris Havlicek

Ow! Many more purrs from over the pond for Miss Lily to
heal up quickly, *not* smack her tail again, and for you
to not worry *too* much while she's back at TED.

We've got one TED here at Pender that can be a bit like that.
I just make sure I ask more questions. Eventually, she gets
a bit more informative...maybe realizing that it's *my* cat,
and I'm d*mn well going to learn what I need to do before I walk
out, even if I have to stand in the door and keep her from
leaving... Maybe you can teach *him* how to properly treat
the clients, especially when it's a worried pet owner... Not that
you want to be bothered with that right now.....

Just hope that Miss Lily heals up quickly. I'll give Oreo the
feral a bit more wet food tonight...that'll *definitely* get
the purrs going from him. My crew'll supply purrs even without
the extra food, but it doesn't hurt...

Hope everything goes well and smoothly!!

Purrs and good healing thoughts-

Chris, Tripper, Katie, Hazard and Oreo the feral

Old August 31st 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

On Aug 30, 12:14?pm, wrote:
One of the best vets we've had, had no people skills whatsoever. It was a
wonder he had any clients at all. He had an artificial leg, and I think it
pained him. The older he got, the worse he got.

But he was amazing with the animals and his skills were top notch. Even if
he did make you feel you didn't deserve to take them home when he was done.
He was good about explaining things though.////

That actually makes me feel much better. Thanks Jo.

Helen M

Spicey purrs continue, hang in there sweety.
Suz&Spicey