Not happy with TED!

Old September 2nd 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Not happy with TED!

I am not at all happy with TED at the moment. Lindy is on thyroid
medication. She just started a couple of months ago, so she still has to
have monthly tests to see if the dosage is right. I took her in on Thursday
to be tested. I told the vet that I was almost out of the medication, and
she said her assistant would take care of it. When I went out to pay my
bill, the assistant came too, and I mentioned the medication. She went into
the back room and then came out, saying the doctor wanted to wait until she
got the results of the blood tests, so the label would be right. She said,
"We should have the results tomorrow or the next day." I said, "The next
day is Saturday." She said, "We're open on Saturday. If we don't call you,
call us and you can come pick up the medication."

Today at 2:25 PM, I called, since I hadn't heard anything. The answering
machine informed me that they take lunch from 12:00 to 2:00. I left a
message, repeating that I don't think I have enough medication to last until
Tuesday. Naturally, I never heard back. They were probably gone for the
day.

There was no emergency number to call. The dosage is quite small, so she
probably won't miss more than one or two doses, but the doctor made it clear
she should have it every 12 hours, with no more than a two-hour deviation.
I know that missing a couple of doses won't kill her, but I still think it
was irresponsible of them not to give me the medication when I repeatedly
asked for it.

I'm tempted to call back and leave a really angry message, but I haven't yet
decided if I'll actually do that.

Thanks for letting me vent.

--
Joy

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never
forgotten this.

Old September 2nd 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

I guess you're right, that I should talk to the vet in person. I don't know
if the assistant actually talked to her. I should probably let her know
that her staff may not be operating properly. I know that one time I called
questioning the feeding instructions I had been given with hypoallergenic
food. I had to tell the girl who answered the phone what I wanted. She
said, "If that's what the instructions say, then that's what you have to
do." I insisted on talking to the doctor anyway. When I did, she said my
way was much better than the instructions that came with the food.

--
Joy

"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an
empty desk? -- Jay Brand, cognitive psychologist

"Matthew" wrote in message
Don't leave a message do it in person. IF you don't get a descent
response. Find a new vet and tell them that you are going somewhere else
and that you are disappointed in the vet and his staff. If he was a
responsible vet he/she would not pawn it off on an assistant.

I love my vet been with him 20 years. If medication needs to be given or
a prescription needs to be wrote out he does it. The assistant do what
their name is assist that is it.

Old September 2nd 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Sep 1, 9:05 pm, "Joy" wrote:
[...]

Joy,
I agree with you that this was totally irresponsible of the vet, if
that's who did it, and totally unacceptable of an assistant if that
person made this decision without asking the vet. The vet could have
at least given you a a prescription for a few pills to get you through
until Tuesday rather than take the chance of running out. Even if
they were busy at the moment, unless you were demanding immediate
attention they should have taken better care of you. The question you
have to ask yourself is if you trust your vet and is she
understanding? You could talk to her, tell her what happened and
find out if it was her mistake or the omission of the assistant. If
the assistant is the problem you should make them write in Lindy's
chart that you only discuss her care with the vet. The next question
to ask yourself is if you have another vet in the area that you would
trust with Lindy''s care. If there is then you can make a decision of
how aggressive you want to be with your vet. I've had three vets in
the 10 years I've had cats in this area. I loved the first one and my
real reason for leaving him is that he was a dog/cat vet and in the
area I live, most of the dogs are pitbull, mastiffs, rotweillers,
german shephards, etc. Very few small dogs. I had an incident where
small children were allowed to handle the large dog and the large dog
insisted on sniffing Selena in her carrier. I went outside to wait and
the children followed me outside. Their mother didn't make any effort
to protect my pet. It was the straw that broke my resolve. I liked
the vet but he was an average vet, easily replaced. I loved my
second, cats only vet but was given some distressing information about
her and between that and their practice of taking the cat to the back
without me to treat them made me uncomfortable. I'm back at a dog/cat
vet but the dogs are usually collies, labs, toys, retrievers, etc. I
haven't seen an obvious security dog yet and there are two sections of
the waiting room so I can wait away from the dogs.

Anyhow, all of that to say, if you're comfortable and like your vet,
talk to her. Outline your concerns and see if they can be worked out.
If you're uncomfortable, even the least bit, tell her so and tell her
why and if something can't be worked out ask for Lindy's records and
make sure they know why you are going somewhere else. You don't have
to tell her off, just make sure she understands that Lindy's health
care is important to you and that you feel she doesn't give the best
standard of care. I wouldn't wait. I'd confront her on Tuesday. I'd
be waiting for them to open the doors. Is there any chance an
emergency vet would give you the two or three pills you need until
your regular vet opens on Tuesday?

Purrs and gentle headbutts to you and Lindy
Julie, Hobbes, Lacey, Sam (who loves his vet), and Barnabus (who hates
going to the vet)

Old September 2nd 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Joy wrote:

I'm tempted to call back and leave a really angry message, but I haven't yet
decided if I'll actually do that.

I'm sorry you're having such trouble with you vet, Joy. That is really a
very strange way to deal with a patient. Purrs that Lindy does not
suffer because of it (she won't even if you give her a smaller dose for
a few days).

Old September 2nd 07, 07:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Sep 1, 8:05 pm, "Joy" wrote:
[...]

I sure understand your frustration. But if you're otherwise happy with
the vet; if he's
knowledgeable, good with Lindy, and if you think he's doing good for
her, I'd
try to fix things with him. (I've had some vets before that really
weren't good
with cats-it makes you really appreciate the ones that are)
Maybe you just need to be the "squeaky wheel" and voice your concerns
that
Lindy's needs were neglected by the staff.
Good luck. Purrs for Lindy, too.

Sherry

Old September 6th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

Joy wrote:
[...]

IMHO, there is no excuse for that :-( That sounds more like MD's
offices (at least in my experience) than a vet. I hope you can
straighten it out and that it never happens again.

Ginger-lyn

--
Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Old September 7th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Joy wrote:

[...]

I think that they really should have given you the pills when you asked
for them.
Purrs,
Polonca and Soncek