Way off topic. Auto repair advice?

Old September 5th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

Default Way off topic. Auto repair advice?

We need to replace the fuel filter on Charlie's 2004 Dodge neon.

Only Charlie has absolutely no idea where to have it done. (He has a
problem with dealer maintenance) He tried to buy a fuel filter for it and
learned it is in the fuel tank.

I got just far enough on the internet to learn that isn't unusual. So where
would one usually get a fuel filter replaced. (My good ole guy mechanic
finally retired. About ten years after he should have)

Jo

Old September 5th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

jofirey wrote:
Only Charlie has absolutely no idea where to have it done. (He has a
problem with dealer maintenance) He tried to buy a fuel filter for it and
learned it is in the fuel tank.

There are lots of places that change oil here in Austin, I'm sure most
towns have something similar?

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old September 6th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
jofirey wrote:
Only Charlie has absolutely no idea where to have it done. (He has a
problem with dealer maintenance) He tried to buy a fuel filter for it
and learned it is in the fuel tank.

There are lots of places that change oil here in Austin, I'm sure most
towns have something similar?

That's what I didn't know. I know the oil change places change oil and air
filters, but not if they changed fuel filters.

Jo

Old September 6th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lorraine

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 13:33:39 -0700, "jofirey"
wrote:

I got just far enough on the internet to learn that isn't unusual. So where
would one usually get a fuel filter replaced. (My good ole guy mechanic
finally retired. About ten years after he should have)

Are you a AAA member? I have found good auto repair businesses through
the local AAA web site.

L.
--
L.
Pictures at http://picasaweb.google.com/raineontheplain
Old September 6th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jofirey" wrote in message
We need to replace the fuel filter on Charlie's 2004 Dodge neon.

Only Charlie has absolutely no idea where to have it done. (He has a
problem with dealer maintenance) He tried to buy a fuel filter for it and
learned it is in the fuel tank.

I got just far enough on the internet to learn that isn't unusual. So
where would one usually get a fuel filter replaced. (My good ole guy
mechanic finally retired. About ten years after he should have)

Jo

Do you belong to the auto club? If you do, I'd go to their website.
They're having a car care special this month, and if you go to
http://www.aaa-calif.com/auto/mainta...are_month.aspx, there's a button
you can click on to find a garage near you.

Joy

Old September 6th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:

I got just far enough on the internet to learn that isn't unusual. So
where
would one usually get a fuel filter replaced. (My good ole guy mechanic
finally retired. About ten years after he should have)

Are you a AAA member? I have found good auto repair businesses through
the local AAA web site.

L.
--
L.
Pictures at http://picasaweb.google.com/raineontheplain
Last updated 2007/02/04

I should have read your post before I sent mine. ;-)

Joy

Old September 6th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Sep 5, 4:33 pm, "jofirey" wrote:
We need to replace the fuel filter on Charlie's 2004 Dodge neon.

Only Charlie has absolutely no idea where to have it done. (He has a
problem with dealer maintenance) He tried to buy a fuel filter for it and
learned it is in the fuel tank.

I got just far enough on the internet to learn that isn't unusual. So where
would one usually get a fuel filter replaced. (My good ole guy mechanic
finally retired. About ten years after he should have)

Jo

Jo,
I just asked DH. He said whoever told you the fuel filter is in the
tank is wrong. He said the fuel pump is in the tank which is common
with fuel injected engines, but the filter is outside of the tank.
You could probably get a repair manual from PepBoys or similar auto
parts warehouse or take it to almost any repair shop with a national
reputation.

Hope this helps,
Julie

Old September 6th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Sep 5, 4:33 pm, "jofirey" wrote:
We need to replace the fuel filter on Charlie's 2004 Dodge neon.

Only Charlie has absolutely no idea where to have it done. (He has a
problem with dealer maintenance) He tried to buy a fuel filter for it and
learned it is in the fuel tank.

I got just far enough on the internet to learn that isn't unusual. So where
would one usually get a fuel filter replaced. (My good ole guy mechanic
finally retired. About ten years after he should have)

Jo

Jo,
Since you said you'd researched this and learned that it isn't unusual
I thought I'd take a look too, in case DH didn't know what he was
talking about (oh, don't tell him I said that!). Anyway, from what I
read, it looks like the fuel filter is inline. If it's anything like
the race car you should be able to locate it outside the fuel tank.
It will be a plastic cylindrical type thing that is placed in the fuel
line. Usually we take two pair of vise grips and clamp the fuel line
on either side of the fuel filter. The filter itself is held on
either with metal clamps on each side or tie wraps. I'm sure you
realize, but I'll mention this should be done when the engine
compartment is cold. Loosen the clamps or cut the tie wraps, remove
the fuel filter and replace it with the appropriate one. Replace the
clamps or tie wraps and take the vise grips off the fuel line. Make
sure you don't have any leaks around the fuel filter before you drive
the car. If however, you're talking about the fuel pump which is
inside the tank, make sure whoever you take it too guarantees their
work. I used to own a Typhoon that had an intank fuel pump. I used
the dealer because of some special issues with that model SUV. I had
to replace ithe fuel pump three times before they got it right. After
the first time they had to come get it with a flat tow truck from
where ever it had stopped running at the time. They paid for all
expenses after the first one.

Julie

Old September 6th 07, 05:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

jofirey wrote:
Only Charlie has absolutely no idea where to have it done. (He has a
problem with dealer maintenance) He tried to buy a fuel filter for it
and learned it is in the fuel tank.

There are lots of places that change oil here in Austin, I'm sure most
towns have something similar?

That's what I didn't know. I know the oil change places change oil and air
filters, but not if they changed fuel filters.

Jo

Stay away from oil change places like the plague: they hire pretty much
the worst mechanics in the world; basically anyone can change oil with
almost zero training. My brother had to replace the engine on his Honda
after Rapid Oil Change left the drain plug only hand tight. It took
weeks for most of the oil to leak out, and the engine to seize.

$4800 to replace it.

Trust me on this.

You need a REAL mechanic.
Old September 6th 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

wrote:

We need to replace the fuel filter on Charlie's 2004 Dodge neon.

Only Charlie has absolutely no idea where to have it done. (He has a
problem with dealer maintenance) He tried to buy a fuel filter for it and
learned it is in the fuel tank.

I got just far enough on the internet to learn that isn't unusual. So where
would one usually get a fuel filter replaced. (My good ole guy mechanic
finally retired. About ten years after he should have)

Jo

Fuel filters for fuel injected engines have to stand up to very high
pressure; they are usually held in place by tapered brass fittings.

I've changed the ones in the engine compartment; a LOT of gas sprays
out, usually. Fuel injected cars are designed to keep high fuel pressure
even when shut off; to make starting easier.

If I were you, I would go to Click and Clack's (big time car repair show
on NPR, "Car Talk") website, and you can find mechanics in your area
recommended by 'regular people':

http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/noshop.html

I do virtually all my own maintenance and repairs, but there are some
things I can't do. I had a mechanic I trusted, and he sold his business
to somebody else who I wouldn't trust to work on a Chinese made, lead
painted, toy model car.

I found a very good place through the Car talk website. I looked for a
place with a LOT of good recommendations, for many different kinds of
cars, that had been in business for many years, under the same
ownership.

I had to do some calling, and I 'interviewed' several people/places
before I found one I was comfortable with.

I'm *really* fussy about my car! It's 19 years old last month.

Good luck!

- Robert Heinlein

Life is very difficult. Once you understand that, life becomes easier.
-Buddha

[OT] Sewerage Repair CatNipped Cat health & behaviour 2 May 19th 06 10:35 PM
Auto pet feeders Brett Cats - misc 0 August 11th 05 12:19 AM
Auto Trader Cat Protector Cat health & behaviour 22 December 4th 03 12:49 AM