icanhascheezburger vs. Firefox

Old August 27th 09, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AZ Nomad[_2_]

Default icanhascheezburger vs. Firefox

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 09:11:49 -0500, Nan wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 08:41:26 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 08:08:35 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

I haven't visited icanhascheezburger for a while. I run Windows Vista (it's
not the big scary monster everyone thinks it is). But I was prompted to
install a Firefox upgrade. I figured I've never had any problems with it so
I said OK. After I did, it just went nuts! I'd open one session and
suddenly I had four or five of them. And they all locked up. I couldn't
even do the standard 'close' on them. I had to reboot the PC to get rid of
them. I tested it a couple of times, same behaviour. So I did a system
restore back to the day before I'd installed the Mozilla upgrade and
everything worked fine. And when prompted to upgrade again I said NO. So
far no more problems with Firefox.

And you find this behavior acceptable? (Having to reinstall an OS
because an application misinstalls?)
I don't know about you, but in my opinion, that qualifies vista as
a monster.

Where does Jill say that she had to reinstall her OS? She merely
restored her computer back to before she upgraded Firefox.

I interpreted "system restore" as a wipe and reinstall.

Old August 27th 09, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

System restore, in Windows, is where you tell your computer to go back
to a certain previously created system restore point. In Jill's case,
she had made a system restore point before the Firefox update. It's just
a program feature, not a format-your-comp-and-reinstall kinda thing.
Very handy if you install a program you're not quite sure about how it
will interact with your comp. So you create a system restore point
before the installation, and if the installation makes things go
haywire, you just back up to the point before the installation. However,
if you happen to create some documents and don't think of copying them
to a usb-stick or something like it, and you do a system restore, I
believe they're gone too...

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old August 27th 09, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:15:55 +0300, Christine BA wrote:
System restore, in Windows, is where you tell your computer to go back
to a certain previously created system restore point. In Jill's case,
she had made a system restore point before the Firefox update. It's just
a program feature, not a format-your-comp-and-reinstall kinda thing.
Very handy if you install a program you're not quite sure about how it
will interact with your comp. So you create a system restore point
before the installation, and if the installation makes things go
haywire, you just back up to the point before the installation. However,
if you happen to create some documents and don't think of copying them
to a usb-stick or something like it, and you do a system restore, I
believe they're gone too...

That's a first -- system restore doing anything useful and not making
matters worse.

Usually it royally hoses a system as it puts applications' registry
entries and the versions of the applications' program files out of sync.
IE: if you have adobe acrobat 8.x and save a restore point, then
upgrade to acrobat 9.x, the registry will get updated to 9.x settings.
Revert to that earlier restore point and you'll have acrobat 8.x settings with
an actobat 9.x install. I think microsoft has made gains in
preventing this by including system DLLs into restore points, but it
more often damages a system beyond repair than fixes anything.
Old August 27th 09, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_2_]

AZ Nomad kirjoitti:
[...]

I haven't had to use it so far, so I'm not quite sure if it restores
registry settings too or not. But then again, I'm blonde...

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old August 27th 09, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

AZ Nomad wrote:

That's a first -- system restore doing anything useful and not making
matters worse.

Usually it royally hoses a system as it puts applications' registry
entries and the versions of the applications' program files out of sync.
IE: if you have adobe acrobat 8.x and save a restore point, then
upgrade to acrobat 9.x, the registry will get updated to 9.x settings.
Revert to that earlier restore point and you'll have acrobat 8.x settings with
an actobat 9.x install. I think microsoft has made gains in
preventing this by including system DLLs into restore points, but it
more often damages a system beyond repair than fixes anything.

That's basically what happened to me about a year ago. All sorts of
things went out of sync and didn't work as well after I did the system
restore. I think you need to know what you're doing and have an
inventory of what you've got on your hard drive that might be affected
by a restore. Obviously I wasn't all that well-organized about it.

But why not just back out of the upgrade to Firefox rather than bringing
everything to an earlier point? On my old computer, I had problems after
upgrading to FF 3.0, which I finally solved by going back 2.whatever.
(FF 3 works on my newer PC, though.)

Joyce
--
The heck with top and bottom -- I want relationships with strangeness
and charm.
Old August 28th 09, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 08:08:35 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:
"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
Over the last few weeks I've often found icanhascheezburger locks
up my browser (Firefox 3 on MacOS 10.4, with several script and
ad blockers). This used to be just with videos but now it seems
some image pages do it too. I have to force-quit Firefox to get
it working again.

Anybody else had that?

Is it a result of their site being hacked a while back?

[...]

I didn't have to reinstall anything. It was the Mozilla Firefox upgrade
that caused the problem, not Vista.

Jill

Old August 28th 09, 04:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

You're correct. Documents, files, emails, etc. are not affected by a
Windows system restore. It simply resets the computer back before the
installed version of [whatever] program that was causing a problem. In my
case, the Firefox upgrade created the problem. Since the system restore, no
problems whatsoever. It's a handy tool

Jill

Old August 28th 09, 04:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AZ Nomad[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

The problem is how it does it. It replaces the system registry with a
copy made previously and attempts to replace various system files with
versions of that time.

Windows stores *all* system and *all* application settings in a single
file. It does have separate files for the users' settings. I'm not
sure if system restore reverts the user' settings to the previous date
as well. If it doesn't, it's another place where applications and
their settings can get out of sync.
Old August 28th 09, 04:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shel-hed[_2_]

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:13:23 -0500, AZ Nomad

That's a first -- system restore doing anything useful and not making
matters worse.

Two things-

1-
IIRC, system restore in XP is set by default to do a daily backup. I've never
had a problem with it.
In Vista, my only experience with it is on someone else's system, and it was
broken! When it was new, they frickin shipped Vista with a broken restore
feature. You had to do it in safe mode or it wouldn't work right.

2nd thing..
ICHC is hacked again! It's redirecting to a phoney antivirus site.
LOL!

Insert pic of Wordpress exec with a frownee ...

"I can has geek?" :-(

Old August 28th 09, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 20:25:44 -0700, Shel-hed wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:13:23 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:
..

That's a first -- system restore doing anything useful and not making
matters worse.

Two things-

1-
IIRC, system restore in XP is set by default to do a daily backup. I've never
had a problem with it.

It's not a backup. It's a copy of system files and the registry. It isn't
a daily backup. It is typically saved after a software package install.