Bandit Lab Results

Old December 13th 04, 02:49 PM
CatNipped

Default Bandit Lab Results

Just got off the phone with Bandit's new vet. She said Bandit's kidney &
thyroid tests look OK (BUN and Creatine levels were normal), but that her
urine was starting to be dilute which was not too unexpected since older
cats have more of a problem concentrating their urine. However, this a very
early sign of kidney failure so we'll have to watch it in the future.

She recommended keeping Bandit on the Science Diet Senior Advanced Formula
dry, but adding some SD Senior canned and to add some water to the canned
food. However, Bandit already drinks a lot of water - in fact I was a bit
worried about how much she drinks, since drinking lots of water is a sign of
diabetes (test show that she doesn't have this though).

Now, all this sounds a bit contradictory to me - wouldn't diluted urine be a
*good* thing and a sign that the cat is drinking plenty enough water? Can
someone here explain???

I'm still going to follow the vet's advice completely since I really like
her and she is very professional and knowledgeable, but I was just wondering
if anyone could elaborate about what's going on.

Anyway, it's not terrible news, for which I am very thankful, and what we
did catch we caught early enough to counteract. Thank you all for the purrs
and good thoughts - they worked again!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 13th 04, 03:00 PM
Sherry

However, Bandit already drinks a lot of water - in fact I was a bit
worried about how much she drinks, since drinking lots of water is a sign of
diabetes (test show that she doesn't have this though).

I"ve always heard cats will also drink excessively with kidney problems. I'm
also thinking about taking Yoda in. He has his face in the water bowl an awful
lot. Purrs for Bandit for *long* healthy life.

Sherry
Old December 13th 04, 03:47 PM
jmcquown

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Great news! Hugs to Bandit!

I don't know about the water thing. The vet told me Persia needs to drink a
lot of water along with eating her special food to prevent recurrance of the
bladder stones they removed. And she does drink a lot of water... the
clumping litter in her box proves it even if my hearing her slurp at the cat
fountain didn't

Jill

Old December 13th 04, 05:37 PM
Mary

However, Bandit already drinks a lot of water - in fact I was a bit
worried about how much she drinks, since drinking lots of water is a sign of
diabetes

Drinking lots of water is a sign of kidney problems. I have a midget skunk that
drinks tons of water. He has chronic renal failure. Only half of one of his
kidneys is working. Just make sure there are a lot of water bowls around, and
litter boxes.
Old December 13th 04, 09:39 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , "CatNipped"
wrote:

[...]

The kidneys excrete a variety of substances, including electrolytes
(think "salts"), as well as urea and creatinine, which are primarily
by-products of protein metabolism. If the urine is too dilute, it may
be an indication that some of these things aren't being sufficiently
excreted and are "backing up" into the blood or elsewhere.

At least in human medicine, one of the best tests for kidney function is
creatine clearance, which relates the blood and urine levels of
creatinine. In humans, the urine sample is usually 24 hour; I don't
know if veterinarians get useful data from a single sample or small set
of samples.
Old December 13th 04, 10:07 PM
polonca12000

Purrs and best wishes that the new diet is all that Bandit needs,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Just got off the phone with Bandit's new vet. She said Bandit's kidney &
thyroid tests look OK (BUN and Creatine levels were normal), but that her
urine was starting to be dilute which was not too unexpected since older
cats have more of a problem concentrating their urine. However, this a

very
early sign of kidney failure so we'll have to watch it in the future.

She recommended keeping Bandit on the Science Diet Senior Advanced Formula
dry, but adding some SD Senior canned and to add some water to the canned
food. snip

Old December 14th 04, 04:30 PM
Adrian

CatNipped wrote:
Just got off the phone with Bandit's new vet. She said Bandit's
kidney & thyroid tests look OK (BUN and Creatine levels were normal),
but that her urine was starting to be dilute which was not too
unexpected since older cats have more of a problem concentrating
their urine. However, this a very early sign of kidney failure so
we'll have to watch it in the future.

I'm very happy to hear it was mostly good news.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old December 14th 04, 06:58 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article ,
Howard Berkowitz wrote:

e.

At least in human medicine, one of the best tests for kidney function is
creatine clearance, which relates the blood and urine levels of
creatinine. In humans, the urine sample is usually 24 hour; I don't
know if veterinarians get useful data from a single sample or small set
of samples.

Perhaps more detail than anyone cares about, but I did some research and
found the way creatinine clearance is measured in cats. A blood sample
is taken, a measured amount of creatinine injected, and a second sample
taken a measured amount of time later. The difference in creatinine
levels reflects the clearance rate.
Old December 15th 04, 12:56 AM
CatNipped

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message

Perhaps more detail than anyone cares about, but I did some research and
found the way creatinine clearance is measured in cats. A blood sample
is taken, a measured amount of creatinine injected, and a second sample
taken a measured amount of time later. The difference in creatinine
levels reflects the clearance rate.

Au contraire, Howard, I love it when I learn new things - please don't stop
giving those extra details.

Thanks!

Hugs,

CatNipped