[OT] Twitter

Old February 13th 11, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default [OT] Twitter

"john sumner" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

That's as good a description as any. Hi, I just sat down on a bus.
Who cares?! Is every moment of your life something you have to tweet
about?! I feel the same way about Facebook. I just don't want to
deal with it. (Sorry to all who friended me but I uninstalled it.)
It's hard enough keeping up with email and newsgroups. I'll leave the
other headaches to teenagers.

I have facebook but i do not tell everything about my life jill, twitter
is
for people who like to tell when they are picking their nose or any other
part.

I agree with that assessment about Twitter (and I've never even tweeted!).
But I don't find Facebook all that interesting. I'm an old fart; I'll stick
with email and usenet and the occasional chat room conversation. That's
about it.

Jill

Old February 13th 11, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
john sumner[_10_]

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

I agree with that assessment about Twitter (and I've never even
tweeted!). But I don't find Facebook all that interesting. I'm an old
fart; I'll stick with email and usenet and the occasional chat room
conversation. That's about it.

Jill

outside of facebook i dont do social media, i wonder how we all got along
before the internet and cell phones
Old February 13th 11, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"john sumner" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

I agree with that assessment about Twitter (and I've never even
tweeted!). But I don't find Facebook all that interesting. I'm an old
fart; I'll stick with email and usenet and the occasional chat room
conversation. That's about it.

Jill

outside of facebook i dont do social media, i wonder how we all got along
before the internet and cell phones

Beats me. I've never really been a person to socialize. I blame growing up
as a military dependent on that. Why bother to make friends when you're
just going to move in a year and never see them again? Sure, you promise to
write and exchange a few letters, then it stops. So I got used to occupying
myself with other things. I read a lot of books.

I got my first computer around 1986. Chatting online was a good way to make
friends with common interests (like cats! although I didn't know it then,
and cooking) without worrying about losing touch if one of us moved.
Computers are portable

I'm sure if I grew up like my parents did, in a small town town so small
it's not even on the map, where everyone knew everything about everyone it
would drive me crazy. I'd rather spend time by myself. But you won't find
me tweeting or doing facebook. Not my cup of tea.

Jill

Old February 13th 11, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default Twitter

On 14/02/2011 2:34 AM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
On Feb 13, 12:18 am, wrote:

I resisted Facebook but I love Twitter. I've followed you under my
day to day Twit of realrelic.

I'm the other way round- Twitter doesn't interest me at all but I
check into Facebook most days (especially now I have it on my phone-
something to do when waiting for trains) I'm not on it continously nor
do I have any interest in the games (I'm into computer games generally
although give me the time and place (within reason of course) of a
table top RPG and my only question is likely to be "what sort of PC do
you want?") but as I said before it's great for putting me in touch
with a group of people that I haven't seen for years and we all got
together last July, to stay in touch with my RPCA friends through I
come here

All 5 form of social media I use (usenet, e-mail groups, blogging,
facebook, twitter) are very different. As such, they serve quite
different purposes in my life.

And whilst I do quite often post personal stuff on Facebook, I try to
ensure its not *too* personal and that my friends would like to read it.

Yowie
Old February 13th 11, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin wrote:

(I thought Facebook was for teenage girls planning how to bully their
classmates - since I can't see most Facebook pages, I have yet to see
anything it can do that a blog can't do better).

It's totally changed. As I said the other day, lots of older people
have accounts on it and post on it daily. And it's pretty commercial,
too - every business has to get in on it and have a Facebook page.
Silliest thing I ever saw - a local coffeeshop had a sign near the
cash register, "Find us on Facebook!" But *why*??

What I like best is a medium for communication where everyone who
subscribes to it can see every message. Blogs are good for longer and
more in-depth writing than either Facebook or Twitter, but the
hierarchical structure of posts and comments means that if you don't
read the comments of a particular post, then you don't get to participate
in that discussion. And it's very time-critical. Once a few days have
gone by, most people who read a certain blog will not go back and check
to see whether there are any new comments added to a previous post. So
if you're not there in the moment, you lose out.

Whereas with flat structures like email lists and Usenet, everyone gets
to see all posts, no matter when they're posted. So if you're away for
2 weeks and then come back and start responding to your backlog, everyone's
going to see that. Unfortunately, most email list are pretty dead these
days, so there's little left of that type of online culture besides Usenet.

Joyce

--
"Bacteria, with a few more bells and whistles."
-- Bonnie Bassler, describing human beings
Old February 13th 11, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

Except for the chat room part, we're on the same page here. I do use Skype
to talk to friends in England occasionally, and we usually do it chat mode.
I tried Facebook for a while, but couldn't see any benefit, so I dropped it.

Joy

Old February 13th 11, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"john sumner" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

I agree with that assessment about Twitter (and I've never even
tweeted!). But I don't find Facebook all that interesting. I'm an old
fart; I'll stick with email and usenet and the occasional chat room
conversation. That's about it.

Jill

outside of facebook i dont do social media, i wonder how we all got along
before the internet and cell phones

I'm old enough to remember being irritated if I called someone and they had
an answering machine. Now, if I have to call someone on the phone (I do the
majority of my communicating by email) and they don't have a machine or
voice mail, I'm annoyed. ;-) I didn't see the need for email for a long
time, but now I can't do without it.

Joy

Old February 13th 11, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
john sumner[_10_]

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

[...]

tweeting i wont do facebook i will just to see wht my old friends are
doing, i used too in northeren jersey live in a town like that, so i know
what your talking about jill.
Old February 14th 11, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

I'm old enough to remember being irritated if I called someone and they had
an answering machine. Now, if I have to call someone on the phone (I do the
majority of my communicating by email) and they don't have a machine or
voice mail, I'm annoyed. ;-) I didn't see the need for email for a long
time, but now I can't do without it.

I have to say that the answering machine (or voicemail) is a technology
which, unlike some others, doesn't seem to have a negative side. I can
remember staying indoors day after day during beautiful weather, waiting
for responses to my roommate ad. Answering machines completely eliminated
those useless scenarios!

Joyce

--
I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better
for it. -- Abraham Lincoln