Declawing and Apartments

Old October 16th 03, 12:20 PM
Elaine Rene

"Elizabeth Blake" a écrit dans le message
de news: .net...
I live in NYC. Where I live, I am allowed two cats. No pet deposit
required and they don't care if the cat has claws. My apartment came
unfurnished, with wood floors. What is a cat going to damage? If either

of
my cat destroys something, it will be something I own anyway (an Otto

loves
to claw the futon!). I can understand a landlord asking for a deposit if
the apartment/house being rented comes with furnishings or carpets but

it's
ridiculous that they can demand that you hurt your cat. I have a friend
with two declawed cats. She got the cats when she was living in Texas and
said the landlord there insisted they be declawed. That she did it still
boggles my mind.

Liz

As terribly popular declawing is in Quebec, funny but I have not heard of
leasing under the condition of cats being declawed. Maybe I've been in the
deep woods for quite a while and things have changed, but before that we
moved frequently in different appartments near Montreal, and it was either
pets allowed or not, but never were we asked the cats be declawed. Hope
that has not changed.

By the way, we've put wooden floors here three years ago and the only claws
that do dammage are my dog's. Nobody would dream of declawing a dog eh?

Elaine

Old October 16th 03, 01:38 PM
Orchid

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:17:33 -0400, "Elaine Rene"
wrote:

I solved that problem with letting my dog (half-sheltie, and she inherited
the vocals very good thank you) bark on the "right" occasions. She is not
permitted to bark at anything that slows down on the road thats ahead of us,
but if a car comes up the driveway, we let her and we put a stop to it
after a few minutes. That way she remains a good guard but is also
disciplined about the barking. She's also always very joyful and full of
energy.

Oh, we tried that. Sorry, I should have pointed out that this
was not 'alert' barking. Nor was it 'Look, it's a cat/bird/squirrel'
barking. This was 'sit in the middle of a perfectly quiet room and
enjoy the act of barking' barking.
'Quiet' commands, at least in my classes, are for stopping
barking after the dog has done its 'job' and alerted you to whatever
it has seen. Jack got the idea of correct alert barks (two or three
barks to tell the humans there's something they shoudl know) in two or
three sessions. It was the recreational barking that sent him into
depression.

I still don't get all the people that have corrective surgeries on animals
this way. Why do they take animals in the first place if this and that
feature bothers them, and they are not willing to put the time and patience
to train properly??? They should stick with objects. Animals are not
objects. Not too many people realize this yet.

I do hope that you're not implying that my client wasn't
taking the time to train properly. Jack was a beautifully trained
dog, with one problem behaviour that we just could not get rid of.

Orchid

Old October 16th 03, 04:18 PM
Joe Canuck

Brandy Alexandre wrote:
---MIKE--- wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

I would NEVER declaw my cats and in general I am against the
procedure. I have some good friends who have two declawed cats.
The cats seem completely normal and have no behavior problems so
it would seem that a lot of the comments about problems are
overstated.

That's an understatement.

You're a bitch. Now thats an understatement.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old October 16th 03, 04:19 PM
Joe Canuck

Brandy Alexandre wrote:
Judy wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

What I am interested to know is the reason why these communities
require cats to be declawed. I've never heard of such a thing in
my life.

Judy

Many, many, many large upscale aparment communities require declawing.
I've very surprised if you have never come across this.

You'd be surprised to discover grocery stores sell ice cream. Air head!