[OT] unusual dog fur

Old January 26th 04, 11:04 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:55:05 -0600, John F. Eldredge
wrote:

Suggestion: Post to a dog group. One of the experts there might have
an answer. I remember seeing (many years ago) a very large dog with
brown tighly curled short hair. Perhaps a breed of this sort might
produce offspring with ridges.
Old January 26th 04, 11:25 PM
Yowie

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message

One of my boss's dogs is a mixed-breed named Clipper. Her shape,
size, and coloring look German Shepherd, but she has an unusual
growth pattern to her fur that I have never seen on any other dog.
It grows in distinct ridges, about one inch apart, running lengthwise
on her back and flanks. It looks as if someone had run their fingers
through her fur, but grows that way naturally. What dog breed has
that fur pattern?

Fluffy, who obviously has alot of border collie and Australian Cattledog in
her heritage, has an interesting set of "waves" on her neck and near her
tail. At the top of her head, near her ears, the direction of fur turns
right around, leaving little "poofs" of sticking up hair. Around her neck,
the hair goes in such a way that thre is a very obvious collar line - but
the strange thing is she has had that since she first starting getting adult
fur - long before she wore a collar.

Perhap sthese ridges are nothing more thant "waves" like Fluffy's. And I
have no idea why they are are there butnot present on standard border collie
sor cattledogs.

Yowie

Old January 27th 04, 06:32 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Takayuki wrote:

"badwilson" wrote:
I've only heard of the Rhodesian Ridgeback. The fur along the spine grows
in the opposite direction and sticks straight up, creating a ridge. A lot
of the Thai street dogs seem to have ridges too.

To go off on a strange tangent - do cats have ridged fur too? Betty
has seven distinct ridges of fur on her forehead. The first time I
saw them, I thought that maybe they were just slight black-on-black
tabby markings, but they're very prominent, textured ridges, like
someone ran a comb across her head. It feels like I'm petting a
little Klingon (or maybe cling-on) when I stroke her little head.

I may be wrong, but don't the various breeds of "Rex" cats have sort of
ridges, caused by their curly (actually wavy) fur?
Old January 27th 04, 04:40 PM
Takayuki

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Takayuki wrote:

To go off on a strange tangent - do cats have ridged fur too? Betty
has seven distinct ridges of fur on her forehead.

I may be wrong, but don't the various breeds of "Rex" cats have sort of
ridges, caused by their curly (actually wavy) fur?

You and Kristy both mentioned Rexes - I didn't know that about Rexes.
Maybe Betty and Bruiser are part Rex or Abyssinian? I haven't had any
cats besides Betty, so I didn't know if it was a common feature or
not. I'll have to check for head ridges the next time I'm at the
shelter!

Old January 27th 04, 07:35 PM
John Biltz

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 8:40:26 -0800, Takayuki wrote
(in message ):

You and Kristy both mentioned Rexes - I didn't know that about Rexes.
Maybe Betty and Bruiser are part Rex or Abyssinian? I haven't had any
cats besides Betty, so I didn't know if it was a common feature or
not. I'll have to check for head ridges the next time I'm at the
shelter!

You may be onto something, Bruiser's mom looked to be mostly Abyssinian,
at least in shape and body, she had the markings of a jungle cat. She
was gorgeous. When I got him I was really hoping against the odds those
markings would come out as he got older and the kitten fur fell out. He
looks nothing like her, he looks like a Maine Coon, which his dad must
have been, but he must have gotten at least some genes from her. Its
funny to think Bruiser came from that elegant exotic cat. Bruiser is a
good looking guy in a Russell Crowe kind of way but no one would ever
call him elegant or exotic.