diarrhea

Old September 14th 04, 06:34 PM
Betsy

Default diarrhea

What can I give my cat who has been on a month of antibiotics and has
explosive runny diarrhea?

Would yogurt or the acidophilus supplements help? If so, how much, and how
to administer?

Thanks.

Old September 14th 04, 06:56 PM

What can I give my cat who has been on
a month of antibiotics and has explosive
runny diarrhea?

Yogurt will help. I find my cats like vanilla. You can also get some
plain canned pumpkin and add a teaspoon or two to her food at each meal,
although she may like to eat it by itself.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old September 14th 04, 07:59 PM
---MIKE---

For yoghurt to work it MUST be the live culture type. If the cat won't
eat it then try the acidolphulis. Get the capsules in the refrigerator
section of a health food store. Open a capsule and mix the powder in
some canned cat food. DON'T get the product unless it's refrigerated
and don't get it in pill form and try to crush the pills. I tried to use
some that was outdated and it didn't work. The acidolphulis should
correct the problem in less than two days.

---MIKE---

Old September 14th 04, 10:56 PM
jamie

---MIKE--- wrote:
For yoghurt to work it MUST be the live culture type. If the cat won't
eat it then try the acidolphulis. Get the capsules in the refrigerator
section of a health food store. Open a capsule and mix the powder in
some canned cat food. DON'T get the product unless it's refrigerated
and don't get it in pill form and try to crush the pills. I tried to use
some that was outdated and it didn't work. The acidolphulis should
correct the problem in less than two days.

You can get much better quality of refrigerated lactobacilli by asking
a pharmacist for refrigerated lactobacilli. The ones they sell,
such as Lactinex tablets, are regulated to contain what the label
says it contains. Supplement/health food types are unregulated, and
when tested by independent labs, usually contain only a fraction of
the live cultures claimed on the label, if any.

I don't see what the problem is with crushing tablets. Lactinex
chewable tablets are fairly soft and easily crushable. It's possible
that the cat might even like the tablet itself -- they sort of taste
like cheesecake.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Old September 15th 04, 03:47 AM
Josh

"Betsy" -0 wrote in message
What can I give my cat who has been on a month of antibiotics and has
explosive runny diarrhea?

Would yogurt or the acidophilus supplements help? If so, how much, and
how to administer?

Yes, they would help, but why the antibiotics for so long?

Old September 15th 04, 04:45 AM
Betsy

He has been through testing for more than a year because of severe weight
loss, diarrhea, and vomiting. Blood work was consistently normal, but a
little high on the white blood cell count (indicating an infection of some
type).

I finally asked my vet to refer us to an internist. She felt "masses" in
his abdomen. I had the ultrasound done, and it showed masses. The next
step was exploratory surgery.

The surgical referral was out of my range cost-wise. The internist felt
that my regular vet could handle this. My regular vet agreed.

He found only many enlarged lymph nodes, and a slight thickening of a
certain part of the stomach. All was sent to pathology. The only
significant finding was "helicobacter off the charts". So it was assumed he
had something similar to an ulcer, and he was started on amoxicillin.

I went away on vacation in the middle of the first antibiotic course, and
left someone in charge of administering the pills. My cat, Willie,
successfully hid from the pill givers! Even though I spent a small fortune
on the cell phone trying to help them find him, they were unsuccessful in
catching him!

So when I came back I explained this to the vet, that he'd missed 4 days of
pills, and we lengthened his course of treatment.

Meanwhile, I think I'm going to go back to the internist, because the cat
has lost still more weight and has this horrible diarrhea. I explained this
to my regular vet, and at first he was unwilling to give him anything for
it! I was finally able to convince him that it was a serious problem and he
prescribed something (centrine?), which I don't think is helping.

This whole thing has been so upsetting. Last night he couldn't make it to
the litter pan and let loose on the dining room rug. I'm so worried about
my kitty--I don't know how he can lose any more weight and survive!

"Josh" wrote in message
ink.net...