Do cats like music? A training question

Old February 1st 04, 05:47 AM
Hans Schrøder

Default Do cats like music? A training question

I am trying to make Teti, my young Devon Rex, an orchestral conductor. To do
this we have to listen to music, of course. So, as we listen to the music, I
show him the hand movements required for that kind of music. If it is 4/4, I
let him watch what I am doing with my hand. He seems to be very interested,
following my hand with his eyes, but after three bars he loses his interest
and goes to find a toy instead.

What can I do? I so much want him to be the first cat conductor to lead the
Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra, but he doesn't cooperate very well...

Do I play the wrong music? I've tried both rock, hip-hop, Wagner and
Tschaikovskij, nothing works...

Any advice?

Usually it all ends with him grabbing my hand with his fore legs, kicking
with his hind legs, and "bites" me... Hmph...

--
Hans Schrøder

Old February 1st 04, 05:56 AM
Hans Schrøder

"Hans Schrøder" wrote in message
[...]

BTW, if you want to remove a cat from the room you are in, just pick up a
flute and play it. I can guarantee you, the room will be cat free for an
hour!

Hans

Old February 1st 04, 06:36 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

"Hans Schrøder" wrote:

[...]

Depends upon the cat. Some are more likely to come running and meow
loudly at you until you stop!
Old February 1st 04, 03:58 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Hans Schrøder at
wrote on 1/31/04 11:56 PM:

[...]

My cats had to get used to my classical guitar playing. If I would fret buzz
too much, they left the room, twitching with each buzz, rather like a
cartoon. As I have recovered my skills and play better they don't seem to
mind now. However, Pearl sometimes becomes annoyed that I am not Paying
Attention To Her and then comes over and grabs my arm. However, it does not
seem to be a commentary on the playing itself.

Karen

Old February 1st 04, 04:52 PM
Christine Burel

Our kitty, Tucker, in particular, likes music and jumps up on the piano when
I play. Also, all 5 seem to like the soundtrack to the LOTR: Return of the
King -- it seems to settle them down.
Christine

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
in article , Hans Schrøder at

Old February 1st 04, 06:06 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 09:55:41 -0600, Karen Chuplis
wrote:

in article , Hans Schrøder at
wrote on 1/31/04 11:47 PM:

I am trying to make Teti, my young Devon Rex, an orchestral conductor. To do
this we have to listen to music, of course. So, as we listen to the music, I
show him the hand movements required for that kind of music. If it is 4/4, I
let him watch what I am doing with my hand. He seems to be very interested,
following my hand with his eyes, but after three bars he loses his interest
and goes to find a toy instead.

What can I do? I so much want him to be the first cat conductor to lead the
Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra, but he doesn't cooperate very well...

Do I play the wrong music? I've tried both rock, hip-hop, Wagner and
Tschaikovskij, nothing works...

Any advice?

Usually it all ends with him grabbing my hand with his fore legs, kicking
with his hind legs, and "bites" me... Hmph...

Oo. Try it with a stick in hand (though not a real fiber glass one. Man, I
got nasty slivers from one of those once). That ought to keep him interested

Karen

Also, tie a string with feathers on the end to the end of the stick.
Old February 1st 04, 07:36 PM
Stacey

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message ...

"Hans Schrøder" wrote:

[...]

I sometimes "practice" songs to see if I can sing them at Karaoke. The
practice consists of me playing an MP3 of the song on the 'puter with my
headphones on while singing along with the lyrics found on the web. After
I'm done, I ask DH how it sounds. He usuallys tries to protect himself by
saying something PC like "That was not great." rather than "That sucked so
bad, I almost ralphed!". One thing that happens during these practice
sessions is that Patrick, wherever he is in the house, will meow
continuously at the top of his lungs while I sing. I like to think he's
singing along with me, rather than yelling 'SHUT HER UP!". LOL

Old February 2nd 04, 01:12 AM
Hopitus2

When I turned up speaker volume and played that "Litterbox" video, none of
the Evil 3 moved nor reacted in any way to the sounds. Perhaps because
they've grown accustomed to loud trance and house music here. The only music
they *don't* like is very high, tinkly synthisizer-type sounds, sustained
for more than a few seconds. Probably due to their hearing, far superior to
the hoomins'.

"Stacey" wrote in message
:
: "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
: message ...
:
:
: "Hans Schrøder" wrote:
:
: ...

Old February 2nd 04, 02:45 AM

Stacey wrote:

I sometimes "practice" songs to see if I can sing them at Karaoke. The
practice consists of me playing an MP3 of the song on the 'puter with my
headphones on while singing along with the lyrics found on the web.

When I do this (not for karaoke practice, but just because I feel like
singing along), Smudge will come over to me gently, stepping gingerly and
sniffing lightly, looking at me with a very *concerned* expression, as
though I might be in great pain. I'm sure I am singing off-key, because
I can't hear myself, but geez, I didn't think it was *that* bad.

Joyce

Can Cats Eat Dog Food? JHBennett Cat anecdotes 31 January 29th 05 09:42 AM
sunny day=happy cats John Biltz Cat anecdotes 1 November 15th 03 05:14 AM
Music lovers Cheryl Cat anecdotes 10 October 11th 03 09:15 AM
The cats of the Blue Cave badwilson Cat anecdotes 12 September 29th 03 05:25 PM
South FL Cats' Taste in Music Hopitus2 Cat anecdotes 9 August 14th 03 04:01 AM