[OT] Tummy ache remedies?

Old January 22nd 05, 11:11 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

Default [OT] Tummy ache remedies?

[TMI (too much information) warning ... ]

So, after years on Depo, I decided to give my body a break and switch back to
the pill.

I've only been on it for a week, and my stomach is often upset, especially
when it's empty. It seems to be completely unrelated to when I actually take
the medicine.

There are more women here than in most of my social groups, so I thought I'd
ask here. Anyone have this problem? Any ideas on how to settle my stomach?

I think this is one of those symptoms that is fairly common and subsides after
a few months, but I don't really want to wait that long! Also, my doctor told
me that most women tolerate this pill very well; others are more known for
having side effects.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 22nd 05, 11:26 PM
Christina Websell

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
[TMI (too much information) warning ... ]

So, after years on Depo, I decided to give my body a break and switch back
the pill.

I've only been on it for a week, and my stomach is often upset, especially
when it's empty. It seems to be completely unrelated to when I actually
take
the medicine.

There are more women here than in most of my social groups, so I thought
I'd
ask here. Anyone have this problem? Any ideas on how to settle my
stomach?

Be more specific. Are we talking about diarrhoea? Or vomiting? Or both?
The euph.. upset stomach can cover both.

Tweed

Old January 23rd 05, 02:09 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-22, Christina Websell penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Any ideas on how to settle my stomach?

Be more specific. Are we talking about diarrhoea? Or vomiting? Or
both? The euph.. upset stomach can cover both.

Oh. Um, I meant what I said. Purely that my stomach is upset and doesn't feel
well. No diarrhoea or vomiting. Just discomfort that sometimes peaks to
pain.

Old January 23rd 05, 03:01 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , "Monique Y.

On 2005-01-22, Christina Websell penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
Any ideas on how to settle my stomach?

Be more specific. Are we talking about diarrhoea? Or vomiting? Or
both? The euph.. upset stomach can cover both.

Oh. Um, I meant what I said. Purely that my stomach is upset and doesn't
feel
well. No diarrhoea or vomiting. Just discomfort that sometimes peaks to
pain.

Let me throw out several possible remedies, if you don't mind them
coming from a man. :-)

There are several fairly expensive anti-nausea syrups such as Emetrol.
They work, but I prefer to use a tablespoonful or so, every 15 minutes
or so until I feel better (or about 4-6 doses) of Coca-Cola concentrate.
Many pharmacies stock it behind the counter.

"Sports drinks" may help, in that they have sugar in them -- which halps
sodium and potassium get absorbed. A rehydration drink with a starch in
it works far better. There's a classic Chinese soup-like dish called,
depending on the dialect, jook or congee. Take a fairly small amount of
rice -- perhaps half a cup to a quart of water, or even more water, and
simmer until the rice grains start to break up. This can be flavored
with lots of things, ginger and soy being a start -- orange rind, in
moderation, gives a nice taste. Chicken simmered well in it gives you
the Chinese-Jewish approach.

Let me mention a couple of "upset stomach" drugs that work differently
than antacids, which I assume you've tried. Gaviscon, like prescription
Carafate, actually coats the stomach. Pepto-Bismol has turned out, in
recent years, to be much more medically respected -- the bismuth
salicylate it contains actually stabilizes quite a bit and also has real
effect against certain irritation and ulceration.
Old January 23rd 05, 03:09 AM
Margaret Fine

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

[TMI (too much information) warning ... ]

So, after years on Depo, I decided to give my body a break and switch back to
the pill.

I've only been on it for a week, and my stomach is often upset, especially
when it's empty. It seems to be completely unrelated to when I actually take
the medicine.

There are more women here than in most of my social groups, so I thought I'd
ask here. Anyone have this problem? Any ideas on how to settle my stomach?

I think this is one of those symptoms that is fairly common and subsides after
a few months, but I don't really want to wait that long! Also, my doctor told
me that most women tolerate this pill very well; others are more known for
having side effects.

Have you tried taking the pill with food or milk? Even tho it may seem
unrelated to when you actually take the medication this might change the
absorption rate of the pill and help.

Also, have you tried taking tagamet or drinking coke when your tummy is
actively feeling bad?

--
Margaret Fine

Old January 23rd 05, 03:31 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"Monique Y. Mudama" had some very interesting
things to say about [OT] Tummy ache remedies?:

[TMI (too much information) warning ... ]
So, after years on Depo, I decided to give my body a break and switch back to
the pill.
I've only been on it for a week, and my stomach is often upset, especially
when it's empty. It seems to be completely unrelated to when I actually take
the medicine.
There are more women here than in most of my social groups, so I thought I'd
ask here. Anyone have this problem? Any ideas on how to settle my stomach?
I think this is one of those symptoms that is fairly common and subsides after
a few months, but I don't really want to wait that long! Also, my doctor told
me that most women tolerate this pill very well; others are more known for
having side effects.

I had ongoing nausea [mild] while on the Pill [one reason I switched
off it], and on one brand I had horrendous psychological side effects.

Stomach settlers [this is what works for me. YMMAPDV]: ginger ale,
candied ginger, 7-Up, milk [sometimes], bananas.

Old January 23rd 05, 03:51 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article et,
Margaret Fine wrote:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

[...]

I'll add on that coke syrup concentrate, with no other liquid, is better
for controlling nausea.
Old January 23rd 05, 04:03 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Howard
Berkowitz at
wrote on 1/22/05 9:01 PM:

In article , "Monique Y.

On 2005-01-22, Christina Websell penned:

[...]

Or maybe just snack on some crackers between meals.

Old January 23rd 05, 04:19 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-23, Seanette Blaylock penned:

I had ongoing nausea [mild] while on the Pill [one reason I switched off
it], and on one brand I had horrendous psychological side effects.

Oof! I hope this doesn't continue for me. I don't remember having any upset
stomach when I first got on the Pill umpteen years ago, but that was a
different brand ... and I doubt they even have the same formulation.

I remember being very emotional back then, but then, I was a teenager, so it
could easily have just been typical teenage hormones. Hard to say.

Stomach settlers [this is what works for me. YMMAPDV]: ginger ale, candied
ginger, 7-Up, milk [sometimes], bananas.

Well, straight-up milk doesn't tend to like me, but ginger ale and 7-up sound
like good options. Bananas? Really? Weird.

BTW, what does YMMAPDV stand for? Google doesn't recognize it. I assume it's
related to YMMV.

Old January 23rd 05, 04:20 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-23, Karen Chuplis penned:

Or maybe just snack on some crackers between meals.

Stop, you, with the common sense!

Of which I am admittedly lacking =/