[ot] Travel to the USA

Old April 4th 04, 05:41 AM
Sherry

Unfortunately, if recent statistics are to be believed, the majority of
Americans in the past few elections didn't trouble to vote at ALL!
Let's hope that situation, at least, is changing - if we get the same
administration again, with everyone who CAN vote doing so, then perhaps
we deserve it.

Do you remember those statistics? Because I heard it on the radio recently; I
can't remember exactly what it was, but it was *pitifully* low. Like 27% or
something?

Sherry
Old April 4th 04, 07:46 AM
John Biltz

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 20:27:51 -0800, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote
(in article ):

Jo Firey wrote:

"Jeanette" wrote in message

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote in
message ...
Except that Britain WILL have to go to the US Consulate
(in London) and get a visa from September. So not only
will we need to get visas, we're now going to be fingerprinted
like criminals?

Canada or Europe for me for holidays. I know that my sister has cancelled
her plans to holiday in Florida this year because of this.

I fail to see why this is such a big deal. Regardless of what country is
doing the photoing and printing.

If it were efficently done, it might not be so bad - although U.S.
Customs ALREADY takes longer - even for citizens - than anywhere else in
the world. As to efficiency.... have you had occasion to check baggage
through airport "security" in the U.S. lately? Why should one have to
arrive two hours early for domestic flights, three hours ahead of flight
time for overseas? In Europe, if you arrive an hour before your
scheduled flight, you probably won't even find anyone at the check-in
counter that early to check you in!

Last time I flew out of Korea, everyone had to dump their baggage to be
inspected before you could even get into the terminal. I've flown twice
since 09/11 and frankly, I didn't think it was that bad.

Old April 4th 04, 08:18 AM
John Biltz

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 20:41:52 -0800, Sherry wrote
(in article ):

Unfortunately, if recent statistics are to be believed, the majority of
Americans in the past few elections didn't trouble to vote at ALL!
Let's hope that situation, at least, is changing - if we get the same
administration again, with everyone who CAN vote doing so, then perhaps
we deserve it.

Do you remember those statistics? Because I heard it on the radio recently; I
can't remember exactly what it was, but it was *pitifully* low. Like 27% or
something?

Sherry

That is fine with me. I doubt if that other 72% who can't be bothered to
show would be an informed voter. I don't mind people voting differently
than me. I just find the idea of some bozo pushing buttons at random
zeroing out my vote irritating.

Old April 4th 04, 08:35 AM
Yoj

"Sherry " wrote in message
I fail to see why this is such a big deal. Regardless of what

country is
doing the photoing and printing.

I just don't see the big deal either. Is it simply fingerprinting &
photographing? That can't be too terribly time-consuming; or are there
extensive background checks, too? Don't you have to do the same thing

to get a
visa?

The photographing should be quick, but unless they take just a
thumbprint, fingerprinting is time-consuming. I've been fingerprinted
several times for security clearances, and it usually takes between 5
and 10 minutes. When you multiply this by several hundred passengers on
one flight, it adds up. Figure two or three flights coming in at about
the same time (which often happens), and it's a nightmare.

They do the same in a great many places just to allow anyone to cash

check!

I've never had either done to cash a check.

Joy

Yes, and most of us get huffy about that. I have to stop and think

whether I'm
huffy over the *procedure* or the fact that I have been "insulted."

This is
just my ever-so-humble opinion, but honestly I never mind the

heightened
airport security. I'd rather spend an extra hour at the airport. After

all, I'm
going to be the one on the plane with the *other* people they're using

extra
security measures on, too. I don't think I'd mind being photographed

and
fingerprinted, either.

Sherry

Old April 4th 04, 08:38 AM
Yoj

Jo Firey wrote:

"Jeanette" wrote in message

[...]

I wonder about arriving that early too. I arrived a little more than
three hours early for my last flight to Australia. I was through with
the baggage check in 10 minutes. It took maybe 5 minutes to go through
the security gate after that. Of course if it had been closer to flight
time, there would have been more people, and it would have taken longer.

Joy

Old April 4th 04, 08:41 AM

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Unfortunately, if recent statistics are to be believed, the majority of
Americans in the past few elections didn't trouble to vote at ALL!

This is true. But not even the majority of people who actually voted,
voted for the Shrub (as Molly Ivins calls him).

I sure hope a whole lot more of the people who usually feel either too
disempowered, or too apathetic, or whatever, to vote, will lurch out of
their stupor long enough to make sure the regime change happens this fall.
Otherwise, we're all in deep doo-doo.

Joyce
Old April 4th 04, 08:47 AM

Duke of URL wrote:

Just ever so humbly sorry if your tender little feelings get hurt by
security. Perhaps you'ven't noticed that there is a world-wide war going on
against civilization by the Islaminazis? And that Britain is providing some
of the Muslim murderers?

sigh... well, I guess it takes all kinds... but, WOW.

Joyce
Old April 4th 04, 10:29 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

A British Muslim with a bomb in his shoe didn't try to blow up a plane? 8
bomb making facilities weren't found in London last week? A train
station wasn't blown up in Spain and some of the people who did it
weren't Spanish passport holders? Takes all kinds indeed.

Indeed. Oklahoma. And whilst you're at it, don't forget where the IRA generated
much of its funds from to carry out bombings on the mainland UK - America.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

[OT] unusual dog fur John F. Eldredge Cat anecdotes 14 January 27th 04 07:35 PM
[OT] Soccer Movie Question Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 5 January 13th 04 03:57 PM
[OT] Iron Chef Yowie Cat anecdotes 19 December 23rd 03 06:32 AM
[OT] Just needed to vent - UPDATE 20/11 JA Gory Cat anecdotes 23 November 25th 03 04:33 AM