[OT] Tactfulness, thy name is Mom (not)

Old June 26th 05, 11:41 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-06-26, CatNipped penned:

She really needs to start exercising or she's going to have trouble
not only with falling, but with osteoporosis!

Well, the potential of osteoporosis is why I'm worried about her
falling.

She was actually going to the gym and working out a great deal before
she broke her leg a couple of years ago. Yes, by falling. Apparently
she broke the tibia far enough up that it was basically inside the
knee. Since then, well, she's been reluctant to do much.

While she was visiting, she expressed an interest in riding a bicycle.
I'll have to find out if she's followed up on that.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 26th 05, 11:42 PM
Christina Websell

"Mischief" wrote in message
oups.com...
Asians have a greater chance of diabetes, cause it runs in my family
too. So I've got that against me and i'm "overweight" so as my mom put
it I have a "50 percent chance of making it to age 60" or something
like that..

hmph

Hell, i'll be happy if I can just make it to 30.

Don't say that. My husband once said that. He said he wasn't interested in
living longer than 30. He made it as far as 45.

Tweed

Old June 26th 05, 11:46 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-06-26, W. Leong penned:
Maybe your mother can start on something easy like walking which is
a good exercise. When I visited my mom, I took her walking and now
she walks almost every day. You can't tell she is in her 80s.

She lives near the beach. She and dad used to walk along the shore a
lot, which is great exercise, but since her knee surgery, walking on
uneven surfaces hurts. I think there's a possibility it's because of
underused stabilizing muscles, but I'm not sure.

Dad walks a lot and rides his bicycle several days a week. She said
she may start to join him. He would be thrilled, though of course
he'd have to slow the pace quite a bit.

It's amazing to see the difference between them. They're about the
same age, and dad is pretty heavy whereas mom looks fairly slim, but
dad is more comfortable hiking up mountains at altitude than I am
(even though he lives at sea level), and he was surprisingly fit when
he tried yoga. He keeps himself in shape. For all of mom's harping
about his eating and drinking habits, I'm more worried about mom's
health than dad's.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 26th 05, 11:47 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-06-26, W. Leong penned:
Then there is petite sizes for those of us under 5ft 4in. A size 4
petite is different from a size 4 regular.

Winnie

Petite just means they're cut shorter, doesn't it?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 26th 05, 11:50 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-06-26, Christina Websell penned:

Just like mine (gone 2003) and I wish she was here to say these
things again, I miss her so much. I might have posted this before.
"Do you think it would have been better if I had had you adopted?"

On my brother's wife saying she was expecting a second child: "Oh
no, not another birthday to buy for.."

She also had no filter between brain and mouth. What occurred to
her came out immediately.

After my third eye operation, 4 weeks in. "Are you going back to
work yet?" "No, Mum, the surgeon says not yet." "Well, don't expect
me to provide money for your groceries."

I think some mothers are like this and you will never change them.
I know she loved me. I miss this kind of tough love from her very
much now she is gone.

Tweed

She sounds much like my mom. I'd certainly much rather have mom
around, abrasive statements and all, than not. I'm so sorry for your
loss.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 26th 05, 11:50 PM
CatNipped

On 2005-06-26, penned:

It's probably much better to have some extra weight and feel good
and be healthy. Skinny isn't always healthy. That's what's
important. At least you're fit; that's the most important thing. A
girl here I went to school with had that stupid stomach-stapling
thing done last year. She wasn't even what you'd call morbidly
obese. Always was a big girl, but I would guess she was 5'7 and
225-250 lbs. or so. She had one son, in junior high, and no husband.
She died.

I'm sure I'd be more fit if I had a bit less fat, but I'm certainly
not going to get my stomach stapled. I'm at about 5'5 and 165, and
even when I was small people guaged me about 20 pounds lighter than I
was (must have dense bones or something). I am pretty sure that 20
pounds lost (while working out) would result in a very fit me.

She died as a result of the stapling? That's so sad.

It goes wrong quite often - nurses even have an acronym for it GBGB -
gastric bypass gone bad. I'd never have had it done had it been just for
appearances (and I wouldn't have waited until I was 52 had it been only for
appearances - older skin just doesn't "snap back" like younger skin does -
think Sherpe dog ;). Nope, I'm not expecting to win in the swim suit
competition - LOL.

In my case I was facing death if I *hadn't* done it - blood pressure, blood
glucose level, cholesterol and triglyceride levels all were way above
normal. My doctor said I was looking at a heart attack, stroke, or diabetes
within 5 years if I didn't lose the weight and hip or knee replacement
surgery sooner than that. As long as I was healthy I was happy with my body
no matter what weight I was at, but when you get older it all starts
catching up with you. Yo-yo dieting all my life made it even worse than if
I'd just stayed at one weight even if it was too heavy for my frame.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

pictures:
http://www.bounceswoosh.org/rpca

Old June 26th 05, 11:51 PM
CatNipped

On 2005-06-26, CatNipped penned:

She really needs to start exercising or she's going to have trouble
not only with falling, but with osteoporosis!

Well, the potential of osteoporosis is why I'm worried about her
falling.

She was actually going to the gym and working out a great deal before
she broke her leg a couple of years ago. Yes, by falling. Apparently
she broke the tibia far enough up that it was basically inside the
knee. Since then, well, she's been reluctant to do much.

While she was visiting, she expressed an interest in riding a bicycle.
I'll have to find out if she's followed up on that.

Another reason I bicycle rather than jog or even walk is my bad knees.
Bicylcing is a low impact but still very good cardiovascular work-out.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 26th 05, 11:57 PM

On 2005-06-26, CatNipped penned:

She really needs to start exercising or she's going to have trouble
not only with falling, but with osteoporosis!

Well, the potential of osteoporosis is why I'm worried about her
falling.

She was actually going to the gym and working out a great deal before
she broke her leg a couple of years ago. Yes, by falling. Apparently
she broke the tibia far enough up that it was basically inside the
knee. Since then, well, she's been reluctant to do much.

While she was visiting, she expressed an interest in riding a bicycle.
I'll have to find out if she's followed up on that.

Another reason I bicycle rather than jog or even walk is my bad knees.
Bicylcing is a low impact but still very good cardiovascular work-out.

Hugs,

CatNipped

There's also those elliptical machines. They're much more low-impact
than jogging, I would think. Not that I've ever jogged. LOL.

Sherry

Favorite Pictures [OT] CatNipped Cat anecdotes 22 April 29th 05 01:12 PM
[OT] Beautiful Clouds Yowie Cat anecdotes 7 April 28th 05 02:12 AM
[OT] OE help? Yowie Cat anecdotes 2 April 23rd 05 03:32 PM
[OT] Humor CatNipped Cat anecdotes 3 April 22nd 05 12:29 AM
[OT] Good luck in US Elections Yowie Cat anecdotes 24 November 3rd 04 09:32 AM