Update on Nikki (and me)

Old May 14th 04, 04:22 AM
Marina

"Steve Touchstone" wrote

Sorry to hear about the upcoming dental work. Can you hear the "I hate
dentist" chorus? ;-)

I hear it! Fortunately, I found a wonderful dentist (well, I didn't find
her, my sister recommended her). I used to be afraid to go to the dentist
(had bad teeth ever since I was a tiny girl), but I've even slept soundly
the nights before going to this one. Such a relief!

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old May 14th 04, 04:31 AM
Marina

"Sheenah" wrote

Dear Nikki,

We are sending you for comfort our loudest purrs. We think that if
Jason and Megan were here, they would do so also. Meowmie thinks they
may be saying goodnight to the mice we have in the field at the bottom
of our garden. Dee Dee says she's can't purr now because she's too
busy. She's agitating with her left front paw the water in our water
bowl and the water's going everywhere :^) When Meowmie sees her
paddling she suggests that Dee Dee's pretending to be at the seaside.
We wonder if she would be so keen to paddle in real sea water :^)

Thank you all for your purrs. I see that DeeDee has the same hobby as I do -
paddling at the water bowl. It is especially fun if you throw a bit of food
in it, or sometimes Meowmie puts an ice cube in it. That is fascinating!
Maybe DeeDee would like to come and visit us on our island this summer and
paddle in the real sea water, if Meowmie ever gets her act together and
takes us there.

Purrs,
Nikki

Old May 14th 04, 04:37 AM
Marina

"Christine Burel" wrote
Aw, Marina -- commiserations for Nikki on having to put up with pills
without instant treats afterwards (Wonder if giving her just one treat
afterwards is possible; maybe you could ask the vet. It might make some
difference on her perception of the whole process.) And sympathies for

you
for having to be the evil human meowmie...glad it is helping her a lot
though! How long will she need to take this stuff? Major purrs going out
to you for the root canal work -- when is that going to be so we can send
purrs?

Nikki will be taking the Antepsin until next Tuesday - two weeks in all to
let the lining of her stomach heal completely. Seeing her improve does make
up a little for the evil Meowmie bit. This morning when I awoke she was
stretched out full length along my side, so maybe she doesn't hate me all
the time. ;o) The root canal work started last Wednesday, the dentist
emptied out the gunk and now it has to rest a couple of weeks, but I am
going in for a couple of fillings next Friday.

Re the thick skin stuff: I read online after you mentioned this and it
seems that it is not that uncommon for diabetics to get it. Hugs in
advance.

Thank you, I can use all the reassurance I can get. I don't know why they
never tell you about this, when they keep warning you of all the other
complications diabetics may have. This was the first time I ever heard about
this kind of thing, and it freaked me out.

--
Lizard woman, aka

Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old May 14th 04, 05:34 PM
Lisa Katt

General Purrs! Apply where most needed.
Elisabet and Hugo Katt

Marina skrev i meddelandet ...
You may remember that Nikki saw TED last week. She's not at all happy about
her medication routines, but she is doing much better already.

I am giving her Antepsin three times a day orally. This is an oral
suspension that forms a protective film in her digestive tract, so that if
she has some sort of inflammation there, it has time to heal and not be
irritated by food. I have to give it an hour before she eats and at night
before we go to bed. Nikki has learned this schedule already, and she knows
exactly when to slink under the bed and hide. She has me creeping around on
all fours several times a day, trying to get her out. It's made all the
harder because I'm not supposed to give her anything to eat in an hour

after
giving the Antepsin, so I can't even reward her with a treat after
medication.

She also got another course of prednisone for her asthma. Her wheezing is
down considerably, and in the last week I have only heard her coughing

once.
Before we started the prednisone, she would have several attacks a day. She
has been sick only once since we started with the Antepsin, so all in all,
she is doing very well. The only thing worrying me now is that she is

scared
of me and slinks off under the bed even when I'm not going to medicate her.
( I've tried to hold her and pet her a lot to show her I'm not *all*

evil.
;o)

As for me, I'm having a root canal treatment at the dentist's, I got a
referral to the lab from my diabetes doc for a long list of blood tests for
the thick skin thing, but I won't see the doc until June so won't know more
for a while yet.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old May 15th 04, 01:25 AM
Cheryl

"Marina" dumped this in
on 13 May 2004:

She also got another course of prednisone for her asthma. Her wheezing
is down considerably, and in the last week I have only heard her
coughing once. Before we started the prednisone, she would have
several attacks a day. She has been sick only once since we started
with the Antepsin, so all in all, she is doing very well. The only
thing worrying me now is that she is scared of me and slinks off under
the bed even when I'm not going to medicate her.
( I've tried to hold her and pet her a lot to show her I'm not *all*
:evil.
;o)

As for me, I'm having a root canal treatment at the dentist's

Purrs for the pred to continue working for Nikki. That is fantastic! Bummer
about your root canal. BTDT too many times. I'm looking at a complete
overhaul in the dental dept soon. Well ok, when I can get a 2nd mortgage.

--
Cheryl

Old May 15th 04, 07:48 AM
Marina

"polonca12000" wrote
Thanks for the update, Marina. It's really hard when you have to medicate
your kitties and you can't explain to them you are doing it for their own
good. You are a very good and caring meowmie, Marina!

Thanks, Polonca. I do explain to her. Every time I carry her hissing and
growling to the place where I medictae her (buy putting her between my legs
as I stand on my knees on the floor, then sitting down and crossing my
ankles behind her so she can't back out - no wonder she hates me!) I explain
it to her - it's for her own good, only two weeks to go, only one week to
go, only four days to go, she will feel so much better if she just takes her
meds like a good girl. She just doesn't listen. ;o)

Right now she is sitting beside me and purring her fuzzy little head off, so
maybe she doesn't hate me all the time. )

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Walkies with Nikki Marina Cat anecdotes 10 April 19th 04 10:07 AM
Pic: Nikki newsgrouping Marina Cat anecdotes 9 March 6th 04 12:04 AM
Nikki got me Marina Cat anecdotes 13 December 1st 03 03:17 AM
Poor Nikki... Marina Cat anecdotes 11 November 2nd 03 03:30 PM