Boyfriend's first rat

Old October 7th 04, 10:34 PM
Christina Websell

Default Boyfriend's first rat

Boyfriend has been playing around with being a hunter. Some mousies and
voles, some easy birds, like the tiny wren, some bigger collared doves "can
do, can eat eventually" and a larger woodpigeon that he wasn't quite sure
what to do with once he had it in his mouth. (Had to get a neighbour in on
that one, to do the necessary.)

Yesterday, I had a turkey drumstrick to roast for myself, with rosemary..
Mmmmm. When I had finished with it, there was still some meat on it, and as
it was a big bone I wasn't worried about the cats rasping off the remaining
meat with their tongues. So I put in down, in the roasting dish, on the
kitchen floor. Boyfriend examined it first, but thought it was too much
trouble to get the meat off himself, too much work. Kitty found it, ten
minutes later, dragged it out of the tin, and got down to eating it. I left
them to it and went to bed.
When I got up this morning, there was a big turkey bone on the kitchen
floor, and lying only 3 inches away, and parallel to it, was a young rat. A
very small one, but definitely a rat.
I'm not sure what he's trying to say ;-)
Was this a present for me for providing the turkey?

Tweed

Old October 7th 04, 11:04 PM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 22:34:33 +0100, "Christina Websell"
yodeled:

[...]

A *rat*! Whoa!

Theresa

Old October 7th 04, 11:19 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

When I got up this morning, there was a big turkey bone on the kitchen
floor, and lying only 3 inches away, and parallel to it, was a young rat. A
very small one, but definitely a rat.

Consider yourself lucky, I've had a fully grown male rat dropped at my feet - a
good 14-15 inches nose to tail... I didn't know it was there until my toe
brushed against it...

helen s

**$om $

Old October 7th 04, 11:43 PM
Christina Websell

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
[...]

Yes! it was really a rat!! A very young one though, hardly bigger than a
big, big mouse. I picked it up and examined it closely, in case he was just
showing off. No, not a mousie, it was a baby rat, which will save it
growing up into a big one after all. I praised him for it and he was
thrilled.
I'm hoping praising him for mice and rats will keep him away from the birds.
Bell on collar? He's has more success with it on!
[I am a fierce cat and I can kill anything. Boyfriend]

In his dreams, yet, but he's definitely doing good. He's a much bigger cat
than Kitty and it would be great if he felt brave enough to catch the big
rats. They are enormous and have teeth like chisels. I'd quite understand
if he ducked out though.

Tweed

Old October 8th 04, 12:15 AM
Christina Websell

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
When I got up this morning, there was a big turkey bone on the kitchen
floor, and lying only 3 inches away, and parallel to it, was a young rat.
very small one, but definitely a rat.

Consider yourself lucky, I've had a fully grown male rat dropped at my
feet - a
good 14-15 inches nose to tail... I didn't know it was there until my toe
brushed against it...

helen s

I hope BF will graduate to big rats. I'd be very happy if he would. I'm not
squeamish.
I wasn't complaining, I was boasting! He done good. Far cry from the
summer when he was heaving his heart up having caught a shrew, learning to
hunt, he's got wise to that. Leave the shrews alone, they make you vomit.
He can now catch voles, mousies and small rats. And birds if his meowmie
doesn't know but if she does he gets into trouble.

Tweed

Old October 8th 04, 05:08 AM
Singer709

"Christina Websell" wrote in message ...
[...]

My belief regarding the "gifts" that we receive is that they really
aren't gifts -- they are training aids.

Our cats are trying to teach us to hunt. Lesson #1 is to provide the
food, dead, which we happily eat. Lesson #2 will be to provide partly
dead food that we will finish the job, then eat. Finally we're ready
to begin hunting on our own.

But we humans are soooo stupid that we never get past lesson #1-- we
fail totally, and instead either go "ewww!" and dump the treat in the
garbage, or so "awww, how sweet!" and STILL dump the treat!