UPDATE : Miss Lily Whiskers and more purrs please. :(

Old August 30th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default UPDATE : Miss Lily Whiskers and more purrs please. :(

Well, Miss Lily Whiskers is now minus 2 inches of her tail. ( I
picked her up at 4.30pm, and brought her home. She came through the
anaesthetic OK, and seemed OK when I got her. I brought her home, and
the first thing she did when she got out of th carrier was smack her
newly bandaged tail against the table leg. Blood went everywhere
because the bandage was soaked in 30 seconds flat. So straight back
off to the vet we went.

She is boarding at the vet overnight because he can then keep her
confined in a cat pen. I am deeply unhappy about this, simply because
I want my baby home where I can keep an eye on her and I miss her.
Logic states that it is much easier to leave her at TED because she'll
be confined and quiet rather than trying to order the dog about, get
out through the cat flap, chase mowsies and batter her tail silly,
but.... ((

I don't know what to make of this locum vet. He certainly seems very
competent and good with the animals, and Michael (normal TED) would
never leave the practice in the hands of someone who wasn't up to his
exacting standards, but I don't like him. That's probably because I've
got used to my vets explaining what they are doing and what drugs they
are using and why, and this guy seems to work in a very brusque &
dismissive manner with the owners which I don't like. Also, the
surgery is not manned 24 hours which I *REALLY* don't like although
the animals are checked reguarly...

Please send purrs that she has a reasonable night, and I get some
sleep and that I don't worry *too* much. (

Thanks
Helen M

Old August 30th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

Lily and I send our deepest and most sincere purrs and
prayers for Miss Lily Whisler's quick and uneventful
recovery. We love her, too. Also, for your peace of mind.
She will be fine.

Lily & her mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

oups.com...

Old August 30th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Purrs on the way. I wouldn't have expected any less from Miss Lily. She
didn't get this far by cooperating.

One of the best vets we've had, had no people skills whatsoever. It was a
wonder he had any clients at all. He had an artificial leg, and I think it
pained him. The older he got, the worse he got.

But he was amazing with the animals and his skills were top notch. Even if
he did make you feel you didn't deserve to take them home when he was done.
He was good about explaining things though.

He tolerated us because our Sam had injured a leg as a kitten and had a
steel pin holding it together. He liked Sam.

Jo

Old August 30th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

One of the best vets we've had, had no people skills whatsoever. It was a
wonder he had any clients at all. He had an artificial leg, and I think it
pained him. The older he got, the worse he got.

But he was amazing with the animals and his skills were top notch. Even if
he did make you feel you didn't deserve to take them home when he was done.
He was good about explaining things though.////

That actually makes me feel much better. Thanks Jo.

Helen M

Old August 30th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

On Aug 30, 12:53 pm, wrote:
[...]

Poor baby!! She is such a little dear, and so very special to all of
us, that I have
no doubt that she will be just fine in the long run. I understand your
worry, though.
I have always hated leaving my darlings behind, and probably drove the
office
crazy, calling for updates every couple of hours.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

Old August 30th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jofirey wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

I suspect that one reason some vets BECOME vets instead of
people doctors is because they lack "people skills". (And
probably don't find forensic medicine particularly appealing.)

Old August 30th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

All this happened while I was at work so I missed the first call for purrs.
Poor Miss LW, she really is a most unfortunate cat. First she loses an eye,
and then part of her tail and she is still so young :-(
I know what you mean about vets with no social skills with owners, it really
does not help you when you are out of your mind with worry. You might
mention it to your vet when he gets back. He could lose clients like this.
It's all very well being technically skilled but being able to inform and
reassure the owners is very important too.
You did the right thing too, by taking her back to be closely confined to
aid the healing process, IMO. Try not to worry *too* much. Easily said than
done, I know. She is a young cat and should bounce back from this.
We send purrs.

Tweed

Old August 30th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Aug 30, 1:52 pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
jofirey wrote:
wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

Possibly but it is often because they got admitted to a vet school,
which is harder than getting admitted to a med school.

It may be atypical but I was _delighted_ one day when I worked at the
bookstore at Yale Med School when a young first-year came in and
returned her texts and said that she was dropping out because she had
recieved a late admission to Auburn Veterinary. Take that Yale.

Will in New Haven