Otis - more property damage???

Old November 7th 03, 05:26 PM
Susan M

Default Otis - more property damage???

Hi all:

Well, it seems that Otis just can't help wrecking the house, even when he
*is* allowed to go outside.

I didn't let him in fast enough because I was up to my elbows washing
something at the kitchen sink. He jumped up *6 FEET* to the 1/4 inch wide
window ledge to let me know his displeasure.

He balanced carefully there then decided to turn around by getting one set
of paws on the ledge and the other braced against the opened window, which
was swung out. Unfortunately, a fly flew by just as he was precariously
balanced. His hunting instincts won out over common sense and he leaped
against the screen to get the fly. Missed the fly. Hung from his claws
from all four feet on my beautiful previously unblemished window screen. He
couldn't hang on forever, started to weaken, so fell off. Hit the window
opening arms on the way down. Left gigantic holes in my kitchen screen.

Arrived at the back door looking completely nonchalant.

Susan M
otis and chester

Old November 7th 03, 05:56 PM
Mary

Hung from his claws
from all four feet on my beautiful previously unblemished window screen.

If he continues ruining your screens, you can rescreen it with thick metal
screening. My cat and squirrels love to hang on the rear screen door to let me
know they want in...even though the cat door is a mere six feet away! They've
been hanging on that door for two years now and not a tear. This stuff is thick
wire mesh. I don't think it's made for screen doors but it works great. It's
just a little more difficult getting it in the frame.
Old November 7th 03, 06:47 PM
Marina

"Susan M" smawdsley remove @shaw.ca wrote

Well, it seems that Otis just can't help wrecking the house, even when he
*is* allowed to go outside.

LOL! Poor Susan, will he never simmer down?

--
Marina
Old November 7th 03, 10:13 PM
polonca12000

Sorry to hear about your screen.
Hugs,
--
Polonca & Soncek

snipHit the window

Old November 8th 03, 04:11 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 17:26:58 GMT, "Susan M" smawdsley remove
@shaw.ca wrote:

Hi all:

Well, it seems that Otis just can't help wrecking the house, even when he
*is* allowed to go outside.

I didn't let him in fast enough because I was up to my elbows washing
something at the kitchen sink. He jumped up *6 FEET* to the 1/4 inch wide
window ledge to let me know his displeasure.

snip

Glad to see that you admit that it was your fault - if you'd been
acting as a proper slave you would have been quicker to act as a
doorman... (Maybe that should be doorperson or doorwoman going back to
the other PC thread.)

A while back I replaced my screen door on the patio, and while I was
at it I had a pet door put in the screen. Well, my girls hate the idea
that I'm ignoring my doorman duty. When I go out to the patio I
sometimes leave them inside where their only choice is to use "their"
door. They'll stand at the door and berate me, but will eventually use
the door when they see that I'm ignoring them. Once outside they again
ignore their door - unless something scares them, and then the door
works for them just fine.

However, if Little Bit decides it's time to go back inside and time
isn't important, she reaches up above the pet door and claws the
screen. So, now I have a screen door which again needs to be relaced,
although I'll probably wait until spring. I haven't decided whether or
not it's worth putting the pet door in the new screen when I do
replace it.
--
Steve Touchstone,
remove Junk for email
Old November 8th 03, 03:00 PM
Christine Burel

Well, this just doesn't surprize me, somehow, Susan... ;o)! You can get
special pet screening for your windows and doors -- we did at a screen and
glass store. It's a very strong, flexible black plastic-type screening that
can support cats without tearing (we are the proof of this).
Christine

Old November 8th 03, 07:54 PM
Dan Mahoney

Christine Burel wrote:
Well, this just doesn't surprize me, somehow, Susan... ;o)! You can get
special pet screening for your windows and doors -- we did at a screen and
glass store. It's a very strong, flexible black plastic-type screening that
can support cats without tearing (we are the proof of this)

Yes, I can testify to this. It will support two kittens (8 and 10
pounds) climbing it regularly without obvious signs of damage.

Old November 8th 03, 10:50 PM
Jette Goldie

"Susan M" smawdsley remove @shaw.ca wrote
Left gigantic holes in my kitchen screen.

Arrived at the back door looking completely nonchalant.

Well, of course!

--
Jette Goldie

Apache and Dakota