Deadly virus @ Munroe County SPCA

Old September 1st 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

Default Deadly virus @ Munroe County SPCA

Time to make sure those vaccinations are all up to date!!

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/709010310

Sheelagh"o"

Old September 2nd 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 06:50:43 -0700, "Sheelagh o"
wrote:

Time to make sure those vaccinations are all up to date!!

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/709010310

Sheelagh"o"

Why the HELL aren't incoming animals being PROMPTLY immunized?

THis is negligence in their practices.

Feline distemper is known to be highly transmissible, with the virus
being able to survive for approx. 1-2 *YEARS* in the environment.

One sick cat, months ago, could have been responsible for the source of
the virus.

But by choosing NOT to quickly immunize cats on intake, the facility is
directly responsible for the deaths of sick cats, and for the 'deaths'
of the innocent, probably non-infected cats they murdered, to try to
stem this preventible disease in their facility. IMHO.

There is NO EXCUSE for allowing this to happen. Those responsible should
be investigated, and fired. IMHO.
Old September 2nd 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Sat 01 Sep 2007 09:46:07p, cindys wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

Why the HELL aren't incoming animals being PROMPTLY immunized?

----------
They may very well be, but I think the vaccination takes a while
to work, and it's not going to help a cat who already has the
disease. When I boarded my cat this past spring, I did not want
him immunized because he is elderly and has renal disease and I
felt the risk of complications from the vaccination were greater
than the risk of his getting distemper. The director argued with
me a little but then let it go. Our veterinarian subsequently
explained that even if I had had him vaccinated, he would not
have been protected since it takes a while for the cat to build
up the antibodies in response to the vaccine.

Friends of mine with dogs tell me they have to have them up to date
on vacs a month before boarding them if they have to, or they
aren't able to board them there.

On the problem with the shelters, I've seen a case where they just
don't have the correct quarentine spaces, and one litter of kittens
wiped out a lot of semi-healthy kittens, and even adult cats, with
panleuk. That incident made me quit that rescue group. I couldn't
deal with it. I couldn't change it, so I had to step back. I prefer
now to help others who have the guts to deal with the heartbreak. I
admit I close my eyes to some of it. I just
can't........................

--
Cheryl

Old September 2nd 07, 05:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 2 Sep, 04:14, "cindys" wrote:
"Cheryl" wrote in message

[...]

--------
It was interesting because the place where we boarded our cat (which is a
large veterinary office/hospital where we were clients for 15 years)
ostensibly has the policy that all animals which are boarded there must be
vaccinated. If an animal is not vaccinated, they will vaccinate it at the
time of intake, which is quite useless, as both of us have said. The way the
events went down regarding Alex were rather interesting.

As I am remembering this... I misspoke (or miswrote) when I said I was
unwilling to have him vaccinated. I was actually willing to have him
vaccinated (although I wasn't happy with the idea). What I was really
objecting to was that I didn't want him to have the $40 medical exam before
the vaccination since had already been examined two times in the preceding
six months at that facility and once at their sister facility for a second
opinion. So, when I phoned in the reservation, I told the secretary that I
really didn't want the cat vaccinated but if that were the policy I would go
along with it, but I was mostly unwilling to pay $40 for his fourth medical
exam in six months. She told me I would have to speak to the director when
the time came.

When the day arrived, we dropped off the cat, and we had another
conversation with the secretary where again we were told that we would need
to speak with the director, but the cat was accepted for boarding. Several
hours later, the director phoned us at home and told us that the $40 exam
was required before they could vaccinate the cat. We said no because our cat
had already been examined three times in the preceding six months, twice at
that facility and once at the sister facility. Then, he started questioning
us about why we had taken the cat to the sister facility. After some
discussion on that topic, he finally said "Well...how about the mini-exam?"
We said "How much will that cost?" He said "$33." We said no. Then, he got
mad and said that if we didn't agree to an exam, he would not vaccinate the
cat. We said that was fine by us since we never wanted the cat vaccinated in
the first place. Then, he was insisting that he couldn't take responsibility
if our cat got distemper. We asked him how could our cat get distemper if
all the other cats were vaccinated? He then babbled something about how our
cat could pick up other respiratory diseases. We told him we would take our
chances. It was obviously just a money-making thing because, as you stated,
even if we had gone along with the vaccination, our cat would not have
developed the antibodies until a month later, but we would have been out an
extra $75 in the meantime ($40 for the exam and $35 for the vaccination). I
am happy to report that our cat did not develop distemper or any other
respiratory diseases.

FTR, we now see a vet at the much smaller, more personal sister facility,
and we are much happier.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.- Hide quoted text -

Excellent. I am ever so pleased to hear this. when you are boarding
your cat, you want to know that your cat is in the best possible
situation whilst you are away, so that you have a stress free break.
Trying to wring you out for another $75, which is no measely some when
you count that together with the prior 3 examinations too. now, that
really is a money spinning idea, & the director should have known
their facts before launching into conscience - control with you! it's
your cat & your decision ultimately, isn't it?

I am so glad that you held out in the end. If there was nothing to be
gained in the short term, it would have been a total waste of money.
as for admitting there was next to no chance that your cat could
contract the disease during the cats stay there. Ridiculous really!!
Sheelagh "o"

Old September 2nd 07, 06:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...20070901/NEWS/...

Sheelagh"o"

Why the HELL aren't incoming animals being PROMPTLY immunized?

THis is negligence in their practices.

Feline distemper is known to be highly transmissible, with the virus
being able to survive for approx. 1-2 *YEARS* in the environment.

One sick cat, months ago, could have been responsible for the source of
the virus.

But by choosing NOT to quickly immunize cats on intake, the facility is
directly responsible for the deaths of sick cats, and for the 'deaths'
of the innocent, probably non-infected cats they murdered, to try to
stem this preventable disease in their facility. IMHO.

There is NO EXCUSE for allowing this to happen. Those responsible should
be investigated, and fired. IMHO.

Whilst I agree with you, if it is the case that the injection wouldn't
have caught the offending cat/ kitten somewhere along the line, one
wonders if there was anything that could have been done to prevent it?

I would like to think that all cats were immunized the moment they
reached the safety of the door, but if this one cat had the disease up
to 6 months ago, is there any point in recriminations?

I have a feeling that this should serve as a reminder to all, to
insure that if their cats are outdoor cats as well, then they should
be immunized the moment that they are old enough to be, unless of
course there is a valid reason not to inject of course!?
I feel so sorry or the animals that suffered as a consequence of this
terrible tragedy. Purrs to them all, shelter staff & cats, & cat
slaves alike!

It is entirely possible that the scenario that you portray is most
probably the cat responsible has affected no end of other cats- who
knows? (
Or, to view it from another point, @ least they came clean about it
asap! ( then again, who would we know if they didn't?)

Sheelagh "o"

Old September 2nd 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Sheelagh o" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Our local animal shelter (not the rescue group with Adopt-a-Thons that I
have been discussing in another thread) immunizes all cats and dogs, and
they also have a "sick room" where animals are quarantined for awhile before
bringing them into the viewing room where the "general population" is kept.
This reduces the probability of spreading disease but cannot completely
eliminate it. Ironically, it also reduces the number of cats and dogs that
can be accepted because that takes more space and personnel.

MaryL

Old September 2nd 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 2 Sep, 06:39, "cindys" wrote:
"Sheelagh o" wrote in message

ps.com...
snip

Excellent. I am ever so pleased to hear this. when you are boarding
your cat, you want to know that your cat is in the best possible
situation whilst you are away, so that you have a stress free break.
Trying to wring you out for another $75, which is no measely some when
you count that together with the prior 3 examinations too. now, that
really is a money spinning idea, & the director should have known
their facts before launching into conscience - control with you! it's
your cat & your decision ultimately, isn't it?

I am so glad that you held out in the end. If there was nothing to be
gained in the short term, it would have been a total waste of money.
as for admitting there was next to no chance that your cat could
contract the disease during the cats stay there. Ridiculous really!!

----------
Oh, let me tell you, Sheelagh, when I asked that guy how could my cat get
distemper if all the other cats were vaccinated?...he started sputtering and
spewing because I caught him completely off-guard, and he really didn't have
an answer. But the best part was when he was questioning me about why the
cat had been seen at the other facility. We had been clients at his facility
for 15 years (as I stated). The vet we had been seeing for most of that time
(whom we loved) went to a different practice for reasons she didn't divulge,
but after speaking to her, I think she simply didn't like the way he was
doing business. She said that the first place was just "too big and too
busy." (At any given time, there are at least a dozen veterinarians on
staff).

So, then, we were lucky enough to find another vet in the same facility whom
we also liked a lot. She was our vet for about a year and a half. She was
the one who diagnosed Alex's renal disease, but we sought a second opinion
(on Phil's advice) because we were questioning some aspects of the treatment
plan. The second opinion was from a sister facility (which we didn't know at
the time), and we really liked the veterinarian and the fact that it was
only a two-person practice. When our vet at the big facility suddenly quit
("for personal reasons"), we were over at the two-person practice almost
instantly.

Getting the records transferred took quite a bit of effort too. It involved
two phone calls and my signing a consent form, and then they transferred
only Alex's record (not the other cats' records) and only a few pages of it.
We have five cats, two of whom are seniors, and one of whom has a heart
murmur, diabetes in remission, and renal dysfunction. Of the younger ones,
one of them needed a lot of expensive dental work, and another needed a
routine cleaning. Add all of this to annual checkups for five cats, not to
mention any other medical needs they find along the way, and this amounts to
big bucks flying out the window.

The way I finally got the records was that I gave them a choice (it's always
good to give people choices): They needed to have ALL the records for ALL
five cats photocopied and ready to be transferred to the new practice by the
following afternoon. They could either send them via messenger service or I
could pick them up and hand carry them. And if they weren't ready, then I
wanted the originals to make photocopies myself to hand carry. They agreed
to photocopy everything and send it by messenger. The new practice confirmed
that they were in receipt of the records the following day.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Oh, let me tell you, Sheelagh, when I asked that guy how could my cat get
distemper if all the other cats were vaccinated?...he started sputtering and
spewing because I caught him completely off-guard, and he really didn't have
an answer. But the best part was when he was questioning me about why the
cat had been seen at the other facility. We had been clients at his facility
for 15 years (as I stated). The vet we had been seeing for most of that time
(whom we loved) went to a different practice for reasons she didn't divulge,
but after speaking to her, I think she simply didn't like the way he was
doing business. She said that the first place was just "too big and too
busy." (At any given time, there are at least a dozen veterinarians on
staff).

ROFLOL I can just imagine you with hands on hips, doing the naughty
boy look @ him. I bet he was stumped & stuck to the spot umming &
Erring?!!
Lesson one in spouting, is : "Be ready to take it if you throw it"!!
Also, if you had been with the practise for over 15 years, you would
think that they had got to know you personally & know each of your
cats by name too....

So, then, we were lucky enough to find another vet in the same facility whom
we also liked a lot. She was our vet for about a year and a half. She was
the one who diagnosed Alex's renal disease, but we sought a second opinion
(on Phil's advice) because we were questioning some aspects of the treatment
plan. The second opinion was from a sister facility (which we didn't know at
the time), and we really liked the veterinarian and the fact that it was
only a two-person practice. When our vet at the big facility suddenly quit
("for personal reasons"), we were over at the two-person practice almost
instantly.

That is reasonable of course, & I would have done the same too. What I
find astounding, is the fact that the director of the facility had
absolutely no idea what you were talking about?!! It is a bit like a
doctor's practise with Doctors who don't speak to one another. Hasn't
this practise worked out what case conferences are all about yet? It's
almost unbelievable isn't it?

Getting the records transferred took quite a bit of effort too. It involved
two phone calls and my signing a consent form, and then they transferred
only Alex's record (not the other cats' records) and only a few pages of it.
We have five cats, two of whom are seniors, and one of whom has a heart
murmur, diabetes in remission, and renal dysfunction. Of the younger ones,
one of them needed a lot of expensive dental work, and another needed a
routine cleaning. Add all of this to annual checkups for five cats, not to
mention any other medical needs they find along the way, and this amounts to
big bucks flying out the window.

How gracious of them!
This practise sounds like a brewery that couldn't organise a drinks
party!!
I am so pleased that you got away from the place. It doesn't sound
like a place where I would like to leave my cats in their care either.
The notes transfer fiasco is a farce really. This could potentially
have cost the cats, their life had the wrong thing happened at the
wrong time & you would have had grounds for a law suit there. I know
that you wouldn't do that unless you were pushed right up against the
wall, but, the point is that they knowingly dragged their feet over
the whole process. I guess they didn't like to see that profit margin
jumping ship. It is entirely their own fault here though.

Had he not questioned the silly fee in the first place, this would
never have come o this. Having said that, things sound like you were
becoming slowly disenchanted with them over a space of time, would
that be right to say?

The way I finally got the records was that I gave them a choice (it's always
good to give people choices): They needed to have ALL the records for ALL
five cats photocopied and ready to be transferred to the new practice by the
following afternoon. They could either send them via messenger service or I
could pick them up and hand carry them. And if they weren't ready, then I
wanted the originals to make photocopies myself to hand carry. They agreed
to photocopy everything and send it by messenger. The new practice confirmed
that they were in receipt of the records the following day.

This is one of the worst excuses of sour grape syndrome that I have
ever heard. I had a similar experience when we rescue Lilly &
transferred all of the cats to a practise 10 miles away. It is
infuriating isn't it? Such a simple task, yet the sour grapes must
have turned to vinegar in their mouths?!!! Hardly a friendly nice
environment to leave your cats with, & also confirms your feelings of
incompetence to the first degree...
I'm pleased you took your cats out of their care Cindy. I think you
did the right thing there. It allows you to sleep @ night when they
are in their care, doesn't it?
It's good to hear that all went right in the end & we do have a happy
ending here. Way to go Cindy, (high five)
Sheelagh "o"

Old September 2nd 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Cheryl" wrote

I prefer
now to help others who have the guts to deal with the heartbreak. I
admit I close my eyes to some of it. I just

We're the same this way.

SPCA videos Takayuki Cat anecdotes 12 January 6th 07 06:17 PM
Smokey's Explicit images of a deadly sin Enfilade Cat anecdotes 27 June 11th 06 09:57 PM
HOUSTON SPCA (WebElder) Cat health & behaviour 0 September 2nd 05 08:13 PM
deadly virus hits Chicago area shelter Karen Cat health & behaviour 1 August 25th 05 07:47 AM