kittens

Old July 2nd 04, 04:12 PM
Linda Terrell

On 2004-07-02, Wendy wrote:

How does one go about doing so if possible?

They quickly learn to love the one who feeds them. A stray kitten moved
into our garden shed last year and was as wild as could be at first.
It took about a month for her to settle down. Now she is a little
lap fungus.

I would be more concerned about litter training.

They used the box overnight. )

A trick we use to help settle feral kittens, is to wrap them in a
towel
when we pick them up. That way they get used to the feeling of
being handled through the towel -- massage them a lot -- but your
hands are
protected. They rather quickly come to like it.

LT

Old July 2nd 04, 08:40 PM
Sharon Talbert

Wendy, the Campus Cats website has a blurb on socializing that might help
you. You've taken on a real project, though, with so many kittens! Are
they all from the same litter?

Step one, is get the kittens to a vet who is comfortable in dealing with
fraidycats. They should be vaccinated and wormed at least, tested for
FeLV if possible. If they are of sound health and weigh at least 2
pounds, they are old enough to be sterilized as well.

Step two, is catch the momcat and get her spayed. If she is also feral, I
hope she can be returned to the backyard as a mouser. Food and shelter is
the only compensation she would require.

A vet visit for the kittens will also determine their age. A kitten as
old as 12 weeks generally takes much more time to socialize (though we've
had good luck with kittens as old as 4 months). An 8-week kitten is more
likely to quickly turn around.

Right now, Campus Cats has a 7-week kitten in foster care who put up a
great front, hissing and spitting and trying to escape. She came in on
Sunday and today she is snuggling in my arms, purring her brains out.
She is going to her foster mother tonight, to continue her studies as a
housecat, and I expect her to be ready for her new home in 1-2 weeks.
Each animal is different, though, and must be evaluated as such.

Read the article, Taming the Tiger, posted to the Campus Cats website. It
may help. You can also contact me at home:

Good luck!

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
www.campuscats.org

Old July 2nd 04, 08:42 PM
Priscilla H Ballou

Wendy quoth:

I've got them in the cat playpen at the moment. They'll be staying there
until I can get them up to the vet to be FIV FeLV tested. I imagine the v=

et
would appreciate it if I waited until they will tolerate being handled.

I was able to reach in and pet all but one of them this evening after
sitting and talking to them for a while so that's encouraging.=20

That is *very* encouraging! When I socialized Sebastian (who was about 3=20
months when I got him from his rescuer), it took 16 days before he'd let=20
me pet him.

Keep going!

Priscilla
--=20
"The question is whether the Bible is primarily a book of laws=20
to you and you need divine permission for all and everything you=20
do, or a charter of God's love with love as the summary of God's=20
will, and freedom to find out what that means in a changing world,=20
and forgiveness for those who honestly try to find out but err."
- Andreas H=F6feld in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

Old July 2nd 04, 08:45 PM
Priscilla H Ballou

Wendy quoth:
On 2004-07-02, Wendy wrote:

How does one go about doing so if possible?

They quickly learn to love the one who feeds them. A stray kitten move=

into our garden shed last year and was as wild as could be at first.
It took about a month for her to settle down. Now she is a little
lap fungus.

I would be more concerned about litter training.

They used the box overnight. )

Yeah, I would have expected that. My former feral kitten took to his box=20
right away.=20=20

Old July 2nd 04, 08:45 PM
Priscilla H Ballou

Wendy quoth:

Old July 2nd 04, 08:48 PM
Priscilla H Ballou

To the original poster: listen to Sharon. She's an expert.

Sharon Talbert quoth:

Right now, Campus Cats has a 7-week kitten in foster care who put up a
great front, hissing and spitting and trying to escape. She came in on
Sunday and today she is snuggling in my arms, purring her brains out.

My Sebbie put up a great front, too, but when it came down to it, he was=20
unwilling to actually hurt me. The worst he ever did was punch me with a=20
velvet paw, claws pulled in. Such a sweetie, all hiss and no bite. :-)

However, one cannot *count* on that!

Old July 2nd 04, 10:13 PM
Sharon Talbert

My Sebbie put up a great front, too, but when it came down to it, he was
unwilling to actually hurt me. The worst he ever did was punch me with a
velvet paw, claws pulled in. Such a sweetie, all hiss and no bite. :-)

However, one cannot *count* on that!

Oh, I've learned that lesson! Part of my standard equipment is a pair of
welder's gloves, along with the plastic spoon full of babyfood. At least
until the kitten and I are better acquainted.

Mostly the hisses are nerves. I call them "pink hisses."

Sharon
Campus Cats