AKK! I'm Melting! [OT]

Old June 11th 05, 04:30 PM
Catnipped

Default AKK! I'm Melting! [OT]

OK, last summer I cut the grass every week and it resulted in me having to
get a lithotripsy! With my fish-belly white skin and intolerance for even
mild heat, I was really meant to be born in Alaska, but fate made a cruel
mistake by plonking my #$$ down in the gulf coast.

Every time I would cut the grass, not only would I sweat buckets (pardon the
gross imagery, but my core body temperature would rise so high that my face
would turn beet red and I would *continue* to sweat for hours even after I'd
showered and sat down in the A/C! All that loss of fluid resulted in kidney
stones (I couldn't drink enough fast enough to replace the fluid), and my
doctor really did tell me I had to quit cutting grass unless I wanted to
have a couple of lithotripsies every year.

So, that leaves it up to DH. Now I've told you all the DH is, um,
"ergonomically challenged"! He will cut the grass, but will put it off and
put if off until the grass is blocking the view from the upstairs windows
(OK, slight exaggeration). I'm afraid that our home-owners association will
end up issuing us a fine.

Staring out of my office window yesterday evening, and seeing the grass knee
high, I knew I couldn't wait for DH to get around to mowing. So early this
morning I put on some cool clothes and got the lawn mower out.

It's now June, and here in Houston it's at least 150 F in the shade by
7:00AM (OK, slight exaggeration). We have St. Augustine grass which is
about the thickest grass there is - with about 3,000,000 blades per square
inch (OK, slight exaggeration), and at 7:00 AM is still wet from dew and
even harder to push a mower through.

I'm now down to 125 pounds soaking wet, which, most of the time, is a good
thing, but at times when a person needs to put some weight behind a task it
leaves me lacking. The mower we have is just one step up from the kind that
has no motor at all. The thing that makes the wheels turn are human
muscles, not a power train! The corner lot we live on is about 100 acres of
lawn (OK, slight exaggeration). I know it sounds impossible, but I swear
there are more uphill areas on our lawn than there are downhill areas and
some areas are almost vertical (OK, slight exaggeration). I was pushing
that danged mower so hard there were times that my body was horizontal to
the ground.

I weighed myself after I was finished mowing, and I swear I lost about 20
pounds in sweat (OK, slight exaggeration)!

Have I whined enough yet to get any sympathy at all??? ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 11th 05, 04:49 PM
Smokie Darling (Annie)

Catnipped wrote:
[...]

Aakk is right, you poor thing! I used to live in Alabama, so I can
commisserate with you over the heat/humidity.

Here, let me make you a nice BIG ice cold glass of tea, with a bit of
mint. We'll get a nice, cool, damp, face cloth to put on your
forehead... Here's a little hassock to put your feet up, and I'll just
set this fan up, to blow directly at you.

How's that?

Smokie Darling (Annie)

Old June 11th 05, 05:02 PM
O J

Catnipped wrote:

--------------------snip---------------------
Have I whined enough yet to get any sympathy at all??? ;

Not one little bit young lady!! What's the matter with you? My DH
does the same thing, but on a shorter time scale. She'll work on the
yard for a whole day and then not be able to get out of bed the next
day for all the aches and pains. Are you trying to hurt yourself?
Please excuse me if I've overstepped, but you know you shouldn't try
to do that job in one day if at all. If you've really got a hundred
acres (and I assume that was an exaggeration) you badly need a
ride-along mower.

Now that I've had my say, please accept my sympathies and some
comforting purrs from the fur people. Take care of yourself, we need
you!

--
Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old June 11th 05, 05:12 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:30:20 -0500, "Catnipped"
yodeled:

[...]

(((((((Lori)))))))) Poor baby.

Theresa
Old June 11th 05, 05:29 PM
Jo Firey

"Catnipped" wrote in message

I weighed myself after I was finished mowing, and I swear I lost about 20
pounds in sweat (OK, slight exaggeration)!

Have I whined enough yet to get any sympathy at all??? ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

No. I've had kidney stones. I like to mow grass. We would be in very deep
grass here if it were up to me.

Can't you get a service to mow it once a week? Everyone here gets their
grass mowed. I think even the guys that have the lawn services get their
grass mowed.

(Hate to think of your dehydrated kidneys and the plans they might be
making)

Jo

Old June 11th 05, 05:48 PM
mlbriggs

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:30:20 -0500, Catnipped wrote:

[...]

Let's put it this way: Way back when I was chief mower of lawns, had
no weight problem at all. All that changed when my son got old enough to
handle that chore....' nuff said? MLB

Old June 11th 05, 05:55 PM
jmcquown

Jo Firey wrote:
"Catnipped" wrote in message

I weighed myself after I was finished mowing, and I swear I lost
about 20 pounds in sweat (OK, slight exaggeration)!

Have I whined enough yet to get any sympathy at all??? ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

No. I've had kidney stones. I like to mow grass. We would be in
very deep grass here if it were up to me.

Can't you get a service to mow it once a week? Everyone here gets
their grass mowed. I think even the guys that have the lawn services
get their grass mowed.

(Hate to think of your dehydrated kidneys and the plans they might be
making)

Jo

I hear ya, Jo. Where I live it's about as hot as where 'nipped is. When I
rented a house the lawn was quite large. For a while my then roommate
brother and I took turns mowing. He then got married and took the mower
with him. I hired a couple of young guys (not kids) in the neighborhood who
were trying to earn extra money. For a mere $20 they would come every week
or week and a half. One would mow while the other used a trimmer on the
bushes around the front of the house. Much cheaper than a "service" and
they did a fine job... except the guy with the electric hedge trimmer kept
cutting through his power cords! LOL

Jill

Old June 11th 05, 06:01 PM
SuzQ

I weighed myself after I was finished mowing, and I swear I lost about 20
pounds in sweat (OK, slight exaggeration)!

Have I whined enough yet to get any sympathy at all??? ;

Hugs,

CatNipped
Maybe some, but its been around 90 up here in Mass. I went with Joanne to
my Apt complex recycle bldg and whined all the way there. She's half Porto
Rican an enjoys the hot stuff, she wasn't at all sympathetic. I suspect
that even Alaska gets hot sometimes.
Suz&Spicey

Old June 11th 05, 06:14 PM
Adrian

Catnipped wrote:
[...]

I've told you a million times, *don't exaggerate*. Purrs that you soon
recover from your exertions.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old June 11th 05, 06:39 PM
jmcquown

Mark Edwards wrote:
No cluons were harmed when "Catnipped" said:

Have I whined enough yet to get any sympathy at all??? ;

You had a lawnmower? Luxury!

Why, when I were a wee lad in Mesquite, Texas, we had to crawl on our
hands and knees with a rusty pair of dull scissors. And it was uphill
both directions, through the snow, er, grass burrs! In 600 degree
weather, with hail and lightning, while tornadic winds swired all
about. And we STILL had to bag all the clippings or we went to bed
without supper, which was a big ol' piece of dirt.

So there (evil grin).

Here's hoping you don't dehydrate yourself again. Have you tried
keeping a bottle of Gatorade or some such electrolyte-enhancing liquid
close at hand while you mow - there isn't any rule that says you can't
drink and drive (healthy stuff, that is) while mowing...

Hugs and sympathetic Purrs,
Mark

Not to mention that Misty-Mate mister gadget someone posted about here.
Since we'll be doing art shows throughout the summer and it's only going to
get hotter, I ordered two of the hand-pump ones. They threw in a 3rd one at
no charge, which surprised me because that wasn't mentioned on their web
site I tested it out when I was grilling dinner yesterday. Okay, it was
*only* 87F but standing over a hot grill, yeah, it got HOT! That thing
worked beautifully. We'll test them thoroughly during the show here in
Memphis next week.

Jill