Should I be worried?

Old January 6th 05, 04:07 PM
Quincy's Pet

Default Should I be worried?

First of all, let me say that I am WAY too attached to my cat, Quincy.

He became sick 12/31/04, but I didn't know what was wrong with him.
Because it was a holiday, I didn't bother calling the vet. On 1/1/05,
I started noticing he was trying to use the litter box, but nothing was
happening. On 1/2/05, he managed to pass a little urine, but he could
barely walk. I called the vet and they said to bring him in
immediately, either for treatment or to have him put to sleep. A few
minutes later, he was admitted to the hospital for urinary blockage.
He was suppose to go home 1/5/05, put he still wasn't urinating by
himself. They said he might get to go home 1/8/05. I went to see him
yesterday. He was very alert and active, he wanted to be loved, was
very vocal, and the wanted to go home. I'm worried he's not going to
come home and vet bill is getting out of hand. I don't care about the
bill, but my husband is becoming concerned. I think he's just jealous
of my devotion to this "animal". I read about using anatomy alteration
in severe cases, which gave me a little hope. Should I be worried, or
should I just be patient?

Old January 6th 05, 05:37 PM
Margaret

On 6 Jan 2005 08:07:09 -0800, Quincy's Pet wrote:

[...]

What does the vet say is causing the urinary blockage?

Margaret
Old January 6th 05, 05:45 PM
Priscilla H. Ballou

Quincy's Pet wrote:

[...]

You got him to the vet, which is the important thing. Any cat,
particularly an altered male, who shows signs of having problems
eliminating should be checked out by a vet ASAP. Waiting too long can
kill the cat. But he's at the vet now. If I were you I'd ask the vet
about the delay in recovery and what might be causing it.

I had a wonderful altered male, Sinbad, many years ago. He had
recurring problems with urinary blockage, and eventually he had the
"anatomy alteration" you make reference to. Essentially they remove the
penis and open out the urethra so he's peeing like a female cat. That
worked like a charm on Sinbad.

In answer to your last message, I'd be patient, ask questions of the
medical personnel who are hands-on with your cat, and don't fret if they
suggest surgery. It may be just what's needed and save a lot of future
vet bills for recurrence. I can't give advice your hubby, I'm
afraid. Personally, I'd be tempted to remind him that he has many more
resources than your poor sick cat, and therefore it behooves him to set
his own needs aside temporarily. This may partially explain why I'm
single. ;-)

Priscilla
Old January 6th 05, 06:04 PM
Quincy's Pet

Funny you should ask that. I haven't received a straight answer. She
says it could be crystals or just inflamation. I've asked her if I
should be worried and she gives me a hesitant "I don't think so".

Old January 6th 05, 06:12 PM
Quincy's Pet

Thank you so much for your post.

What is it with women and cats? Have you ever stopped to think about
it? My grandmother had three failed marriages and finally settled for
being single and caring for cats. At one time, she had 25! She passed
away in '99, but I still have one of her cats. There have been several
times I thought I might be happier living the single life with just my
cats and myself. There was also a survey done once with the results
posted on MSN.com that stated 65% of women surveyed said they felt more
secure sleeping with their cat than with their husbands. : )

Anyway, I'm not worried about surgery. I'm just not ready to loose my
Quincy yet!

Old January 6th 05, 06:25 PM
Mary

"Quincy's Pet" wrote in message
oups.com...
Funny you should ask that. I haven't received a straight answer. She
says it could be crystals or just inflamation. I've asked her if I
should be worried and she gives me a hesitant "I don't think so".

Might be time to demand a straight answer and make plans
for Quincy to see another vet if you don't get one. Ask for
specifics on his condition. I think they have had him for too
long. Either they fixed it or didn't and need to try something
else. It is cruel to make him stay away from home like this.

Old January 6th 05, 06:31 PM
Mary

"Quincy's Pet" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you so much for your post.

What is it with women and cats?

A propensity for excellent taste?!

Have you ever stopped to think about
it? My grandmother had three failed marriages and finally settled for
being single and caring for cats. At one time, she had 25! She passed
away in '99, but I still have one of her cats. There have been several
times I thought I might be happier living the single life with just my
cats and myself. There was also a survey done once with the results
posted on MSN.com that stated 65% of women surveyed said they felt more
secure sleeping with their cat than with their husbands. : )

Well, this may be because we know the cats do not mind morning breath
or care when we look disheveled! The key is, the right man doesn't either.
The one that makes you feel most comfortable being exactly who you are
is the prize as far as I am concerned. Just me, but that is what makes, as
Monique put it, my "loins leap." (Honestly, Mo, what the hell does that
mean? lol!!) And, of course, I don't trust anyone who does not like cats
and could never live with any man who does not LOVE cats. Happily,
my husband does. And they adore him--it seems to me like he gets
points just for smelling like a boy to these little females, the way they
rub all over him and do elevator butt and make Zsa Zsa faces at him.

Anyway, I'm not worried about surgery. I'm just not ready to loose my
Quincy yet!

Bet you don't have to . But stay on top of the vet. You are paying for
answers and timely, effectie treatment.

Old January 6th 05, 06:35 PM
Quincy's Pet

I agree. It is cruel. He wanted to go with me yesterday and I
couldn't take him. He started howling when I walked away. It was so
hard. My husband and I both started to tear up. It was bitter sweet
because it was good seeing him alert and active again, but I'm not sure
I did more good or more harm. I plan on visiting again tomorrow. I'll
ask the doc what's really going on and what I can expect. Thanks for
the post.

Old January 6th 05, 06:40 PM
Quincy's Pet

Thanks again, and I think your absolutely right about our cat fetish
and about the "prize".
: )

Old January 6th 05, 06:50 PM
ceb

"Quincy's Pet" wrote in news:1105036534.592518.95770
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

It was bitter sweet
because it was good seeing him alert and active again, but I'm not sure
I did more good or more harm. I plan on visiting again tomorrow.

I think it does him good to see his beloved human, so don't worry about
that. I know it must be hard to leave him and I'm sure he doesn't
understand, but I am also sure that he loves seeing you whenever you can
visit!

--Catherine
& Rosalie the calicohead