MEGA download

Old July 24th 05, 09:25 PM
Christina Websell

"Duke of URL" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

For quite some time now my server has not been collecting all posts
on rpca, although it was kind enough to tell me so.
It would say at the bottom of the screen "xxx posts unread, xxxx not
downloaded." The undownloaded posts increased and increased in
number. I
fiddled around with the settings to no avail. The instruction
"download all messages" didn't seem to mean a thing to this
reluctant server.
I began to wonder what it might be about these posts that I wasn't
allowed to see. Was my server operating its own form of censorship
I asked myself? ;-)
Until this morning, that is. I signed in this morning and was
merrily reading away when suddenly my screen gave a sort of twitch,
like an up and down movement.
Yep, suddenly and for no apparent reason my server has seen fit to
let me have a look at over a thousand posts it was previously
keeping to itself!! Some of them have already expired from the
server, dating back to when I was in hospital in May so I guess I'll
not know what *they* said.
So many things have happened to you all that I didn't know about!
I shan't be able to read them all, but if you get a reply from me to
a post you sent a while ago, this is wh

And you DID call the ISP, right?

No.

You called them several times during the
blockage, right?

No.

And you called them when the massive message dump occurred,
right?

No. A couple of them go right back to last Christmas..

OE only lets you download 1,000 posts at a time, so if I haven't been
on the group for a week or so I can't get all the posts.

NOT true. That's what the wee button "Get next XXX messages" is for. I
have mine set to 1000, yes, but that's just for my convenience.

I suspect it is nothing to do with any of these things. It used to happen
on my old computer sometimes and I had a different newsreader as well then,
but never as many "not downloaded" before as now, or just before now
actually!, since I now seem to have them all. 3752 messages, 170 unread.

Tweed

Old July 24th 05, 09:53 PM
Adrian

Christina Websell wrote:
Are you using Outlook Express or another newsreader? Can you set the
number
of downloaded messages it allows?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Yes, and yes. It is set to download 1000 at a time.

Tweed

I leave the box unticked, that way all the headers are downloaded,
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old July 24th 05, 10:50 PM
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
Are you using Outlook Express or another newsreader? Can you set the
number
of downloaded messages it allows?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Yes, and yes. It is set to download 1000 at a time.

Tweed

I leave the box unticked, that way all the headers are downloaded,

ISTR that a number needs to be specified, not a case of leaving a box
unticked, it's an ^ (the other way up) choose a number. There is no reason
at all that I can see why they shouldn't all download as they arrive as I
have my computer set to collect mails/posts every five minutes except when I
go out or to bed, when I switch the computer off. There is plenty of room
for them on my HD.
I am as lucky as you, got broadband in this area in the last few months.
Wonderful, isn't it?

Tweed

Old July 25th 05, 11:30 AM
Adrian

Christina Websell wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

If you specify a number that's how many get downloaded, the default is
300 the maximum is 1000, some of the binary groups easily exceed 1000
headers, particularly talking books, that's why I leave the box
unticked.

Old July 25th 05, 02:14 PM
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Ahh, now I understand, having looked properly this time! Duh. I have
unticked the box. Thanks, Adrian :-)

Tweed

Old July 26th 05, 05:51 PM
Duke of URL

Christina Websell wrote:
"Duke of URL" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

Are you using Outlook Express? Can you set the number of downloaded
messages it allows?

The answer is "yes".

Hey, gimme a chance ;-) I am 6 hours ahead and was in bed then..and
out visiting all day today!

Heh.