Just a Vent

Old August 8th 04, 09:06 AM
Jeanette

Default Just a Vent

Sherry wrote in message
The shelter manager called me today with an outrageous story. I just have

vent this here. A man adopted a cat for his daughter about six months ago.

He
showed up today to turn it back.
He explained that the reason is that he "warned" his daughter if she

didn't get
her grades up, he would take away her cat. She got a bad grade in Math,

and he
brought us the cat.
I just can't believe that this father sees the cat just like the TV,

stereo, or
nintendo or something. Like a possession he can just throw out as

punishment
for bad grades. Makes me so mad.

Sherry

That makes me wish his daughter could be taken away from him because of his
behaviour. Poor kid. Poor cat.

Jeanette

Old August 8th 04, 10:07 AM

Sherry wrote:

A man adopted a cat for his daughter about six months ago. He
showed up today to turn it back. He explained that the reason is
that he "warned" his daughter if she didn't get her grades up,
he would take away her cat. She got a bad grade in Math, and he
brought us the cat.

Tell you the truth, with a guy like this, the cat is probably better
off. But I feel really sorry for the girl. The cat isn't an object
that can be replaced, or a privelege like being able to go someplace
or stay up late. It's a *living being* with feelings and needs. As
someone else said, what kind of values is he teaching her, about how
to think about and treat animals, by doing this?

This is a *relationship* he's destroying. That has to be really
heartbreaking to the girl. And it's not even for a remotely relevant
reason. Maybe if he'd made a contract with her that if she had a
cat, she had to take care of it. And then she didn't, I could see
telling her that he would give it away if she couldn't be responsible
for its care. I still think that's very harsh, but at least the
punishment would be related to the problem behavior. But not making
good grades? What does that have to do with having a cat?? What lesson
is she learning, other than that her father is willing to break her
heart?

Plus, he's teaching her that she should study so that her father
won't do mean things to her. Way to inspire a love of learning, Dad!
This is so manipulative and cruel, to both the cat and the girl. He
sounds like a real control freak. Poor kid!

Oh, there are so many things wrong with this situation, I can't
stand it! I'm sorry you had to see that, Sherry.

Joyce

Old August 8th 04, 12:16 PM
Adrian

Sherry wrote:
The shelter manager called me today with an outrageous story. I just
have to vent this here. A man adopted a cat for his daughter about
six months ago. He showed up today to turn it back.
He explained that the reason is that he "warned" his daughter if she
didn't get her grades up, he would take away her cat. She got a bad
grade in Math, and he brought us the cat.
I just can't believe that this father sees the cat just like the TV,
stereo, or nintendo or something. Like a possession he can just throw
out as punishment for bad grades. Makes me so mad.

Sherry

This child abuse, and animal abuse.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old August 9th 04, 05:33 AM
badwilson

Melissa Houle wrote:

That's really awful! This clod is unfit to be around animals

Not to mention children.

It would be one thing if the girl wasn't taking care of the cat,
or was cruel to it, but bad grades is probably the worst reason
I've ever heard to turn a cat over to a shelter.

Exactly. Talk about an irrelevant punishment.

Actually, it sounds like a power struggle, like "Just you try to goof
off in school, and you'll see what I do to you." It's like he's assuming
she's doing badly on purpose. (And even if she is - she's a CHILD! Does
he have to act like a child in response??)

What does a cat have to do with grades? Did the cat make her get a
bad grade in math?

Anyway, why do parents think they can force their children to get good
grades by threatening or punishing them? Did he ever think of, maybe,
*helping* her (or getting her some help) with math??

Sorry, this is a hot button for me. My dad was a bit like this - he
would make promises, and then threaten to break them if we didn't do
what he told us to. But even he knew better than to use the family
pets as leverage!

I guess I was lucky! Of course my parents wanted us to get good grades,
but they accomplished this by rewarding us for the high marks, not
punishing us for the low ones. (As I recall - this was way back during
the Depression - the scale was a nickel for every B, a dime for every A,
and a whole QUARTER for a Double-A.) We didn't have much spending
money, otherwise, so you can bet we worked hard to bring home good
report cards!

This is what my parents did when I was in high school too. But I was in
high school in the '80's, so the money was much more, and they *did* punish
me for bad grades in a way. I got $20 for each A, nothing for a B and had
to *pay* $20 for a C+ and lower. Luckily I was smart (and my parents knew
that) so I got mostly A's, very few B's and only maybe 1 or 2 C+'s during
the whole 5 years of High School. I managed to make quite a bit of spending
money this way!
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's covered