Tayla's Visit

Old July 20th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Tayla's Visit

We let Tayla out for a supervised visit with all the rest of the Crews'
crew, but first we once again clipped all 18 claws on all 6 cats so that
weapons were blunted for the confrontation.

Of course there had to be an establishing of the pecking order. First Tayla
challenged Sammy - there was yowling and Tayla chased Sammy under the dining
room table (no blows were exchanged), then Tayla was satisfied that she was
above Sammy in the pecking order.

Then Tayla challenged Jessie by jumping up on the dining room chair next to
the chair Jessie was sitting on, but Jessie wouldn't back down, so there was
a stand off of yowling and hissing, but again, no blows were exchanged and
eventually Tayl jumped down.

Then Tayla challenged Demi - there was yowling and Tayla chased Demi down
the stairs to the landing (no blows were exchanged), then Tayla was
satisfied that she was above Demi in the pecking order.

Then Tayla once again challenged Jessie, there was yowling and this time
Jessie gave way and Tayla chased Jessie across the living room (no blows
were exchanged), then Tayla was satisfied that she was above Jessie in the
pecking order.

Once all this had been settled there was an armed truce with everyone laying
around warily eying everyone else (with the kittens romping about
obliviously).

I kind of figured something like this would happen since Tayla is a very
assertive cat (and the most talented/experienced fighter since she survived
on her own and took care of her kittens on the mean streets of Houston).
Also, Bandit was the alpha cat of our clowder and her death left the
position open with Jessie only tentatively taking the lead until Tayla
arrived.

After a few hours we put Tayla back into Ben's office for the night so that
everyone could have a stress-free sleep. We'll continue to let Tayla out
for longer and longer supervised visits until everyone is comfortable with
the arrangement and Tayla can peacefully join the clowder.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters he http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old July 20th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

What's weird is that Smokey, the one with the "Forest cred," is such a
wimp getting beat up by all the girls (including Dylan's spoiled
rotten bitties who have never had to fight for real in their whole
lives) and lets you bathe him and put him in a baby dress.

And yet when he /wants to/ he can really mess you up. He bit Dylan in
the face a few months ago (very bloody) when he was worked up.

Sounds like Tayla will inherit Bandit's mantle

--Fil

Old July 20th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Enfilade" wrote in message
ups.com...
What's weird is that Smokey, the one with the "Forest cred," is such a
wimp getting beat up by all the girls (including Dylan's spoiled
rotten bitties who have never had to fight for real in their whole
lives) and lets you bathe him and put him in a baby dress.

Oh, I think that, just like with human males, male cats will put up with
anything in exchange for a little stroking or licking!! ;

And yet when he /wants to/ he can really mess you up. He bit Dylan in
the face a few months ago (very bloody) when he was worked up.

OUCH! I'e had bad bites on hands, arms, and legs, but Bandit, thank gawd,
never went for the face!

Sounds like Tayla will inherit Bandit's mantle

I think so.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--Fil

Old July 20th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Awwww.... poor Sammy! She's a gentle giant like Rufous.

Also, Bandit was the alpha cat of our clowder and her death left the
position open with Jessie only tentatively taking the lead until Tayla
arrived.

Makes sense...

After a few hours we put Tayla back into Ben's office for the night so that
everyone could have a stress-free sleep. We'll continue to let Tayla out
for longer and longer supervised visits until everyone is comfortable with
the arrangement and Tayla can peacefully join the clowder.

Yay!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 20th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Jul 20, 8:46 am, "CatNipped" wrote:
We let Tayla out for a supervised visit with all the rest of the Crews'
crew, but first we once again clipped all 18 claws on all 6 cats so that
weapons were blunted for the confrontation.

Of course there had to be an establishing of the pecking order. ...
After a few hours we put Tayla back into Ben's office for the night so that
everyone could have a stress-free sleep. We'll continue to let Tayla out
for longer and longer supervised visits until everyone is comfortable with
the arrangement and Tayla can peacefully join the clowder.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters hehttp://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Great update. Fun to read. It seems things are progressing nicely.
The claw clipping was a good precaution, though. I imagine that in
itself was quite an undertaking with that many claws to clip.
Annie

Old July 20th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 08:46:20 -0500, CatNipped wrote:

[...]

=========

Some mothers have a hard life. Purrs for peace to surround Tayla.
MLB

Old July 20th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I'm a lot more hopeful of a peaceful integration after last night. I
was worried because Tayla is pretty agressive (the kittens got out of
lock-up early because she was being too rough with them). But so far it's
all been posturing.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 20th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Oh gawd yes! However, with the exception of Sammy (whom it took 2 of us
holding her down wrapped in a towel - my gawd she is *STRONG*), they all
just sat there and let us clip both front and back paws (valley-girl Demi
actually sat there looking like, "Well it's about time you gave me my
manicure!")

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 20th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks! She's going to have a *VERY* different experience from now on for
the rest of her life!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 20th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

wrote:

We let Tayla out for a supervised visit with all the rest of the Crews'
crew, but first we once again clipped all 18 claws on all 6 cats so that
weapons were blunted for the confrontation.

Of course there had to be an establishing of the pecking order. First Tayla

(snip)

Sounds like Tayla's going to be quite happy to take 'boss-cat'
position, and the others will probably let her do it because they're
used to having somebody else above them...

Tayla's Visit CatNipped[_2_] Cat health & behaviour 7 July 21st 07 05:45 PM
TED visit Marina Cat anecdotes 11 February 21st 06 10:44 PM
Thu TED Visit Cheryl Perkins Cat community 5 January 29th 06 10:22 PM
Please help with first vet visit... Me Cat health & behaviour 8 December 7th 04 05:27 AM