Mouse 2, Bruiser 0

Old August 28th 03, 05:24 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Cathi had some very
interesting things to say about Mouse 2, Bruiser 0:
In message , Seanette
Blaylock writes
Not all knitters are little old ladies. :-)

Hear hear!
Seanette: am I right in recalling that you're something of a crochet
buff? If so ... may I pick your brains?

Feel free to pick away. :-)

--
Seanette Blaylock
"You attribute perfect rationality to the whole of humanity, which has
Old August 28th 03, 07:15 AM
Cathi

In message , Seanette
Blaylock writes
Cathi had some very
interesting things to say about Mouse 2, Bruiser 0:
In message , Seanette
Blaylock writes
Not all knitters are little old ladies. :-)

Hear hear!
Seanette: am I right in recalling that you're something of a crochet
buff? If so ... may I pick your brains?

Feel free to pick away. :-)

OK (takes out pick)

NB: If anyone else has any solutions for my problem, I would be glad to
hear them!

Friends producing barekitten in October; barekitten will be girl
(working title of Gobnat, but that's another story in itself).

Went to see them this weekend armed with various bits of knitted and
crochet stuff. Commented to mum-to-be that it was fun doing pretty
girly stuff in pink, as all the other babies I've done bits for have
been boys.

Father-to-be jokingly commented that his daughter wasn't going to
conform to stereotypes and wear pink. She was going to get a Scalextric
set and wear camouflage! Which led me to wonder .... could I crochet
something, using a fairly solid stitch (double crochet) to give a
camouflage pattern? My concern is that where I change colours, and twist
them round each other, it might appear unsightly if there were changes
on both sides of the fabric.

I suppose I could do something on the lines of Tunisian crochet (the
principles of which I think I understand) and keep all the yarns on one
side of the work but ... do you have any thoughts? Needless to say, if
I come up with an idea, the colours won't be various shades of khaki,
but various shades of pink! Or am I just making a rod for my own back?
I thought about using random dyed yarn, but wanted the feel of slightly
more solid blocks of colour.

Thanks in advance,
--
Cathi
Old August 28th 03, 06:52 PM
Seanette Blaylock

Cathi had some very
interesting things to say about VERY OT: Crochet question:

Father-to-be jokingly commented that his daughter wasn't going to
conform to stereotypes and wear pink. She was going to get a Scalextric
set and wear camouflage! Which led me to wonder .... could I crochet
something, using a fairly solid stitch (double crochet) to give a
camouflage pattern? My concern is that where I change colours, and twist
them round each other, it might appear unsightly if there were changes
on both sides of the fabric.

Uh, you don't usually twist them around each other in crochet, like
you would in knitting. To change colors in crochet, you do the final
stitch of the old color to the point that you have two loops on the
hook, then do the next yarn-over with the new color and finish that
stitch as normal. What you have in mind sounds like you're going to
drive yourself insane with such problems as ends to weave in. :-)

I suppose I could do something on the lines of Tunisian crochet (the
principles of which I think I understand) and keep all the yarns on one
side of the work but ... do you have any thoughts? Needless to say, if
I come up with an idea, the colours won't be various shades of khaki,
but various shades of pink! Or am I just making a rod for my own back?
I thought about using random dyed yarn, but wanted the feel of slightly
more solid blocks of colour.

I wouldn't use Tunisian for baby stuff. MUCH too stiff and heavy, IMO.
There are plenty of Web sites that might be able to help with this, or
you could come ask the Yahoo crochet list I co-moderate :-). I'll send
you an e-mail invitation, which you can feel free to ignore if you
prefer. :-)

Old August 28th 03, 07:26 PM
Cathi

In message , Seanette
Blaylock writes
Uh, you don't usually twist them around each other in crochet, like
you would in knitting. To change colors in crochet, you do the final
stitch of the old color to the point that you have two loops on the
hook, then do the next yarn-over with the new color and finish that
stitch as normal. What you have in mind sounds like you're going to
drive yourself insane with such problems as ends to weave in. :-)

Ah, I see. I am more of a knitter (have done picture sweaters, Kaffe
Fassett work) so probably have the knitting mindset.

I wouldn't use Tunisian for baby stuff. MUCH too stiff and heavy, IMO.
There are plenty of Web sites that might be able to help with this, or
you could come ask the Yahoo crochet list I co-moderate :-). I'll send
you an e-mail invitation, which you can feel free to ignore if you
prefer. :-)

*Bad* Seanette, sending me invitations to craft-related things ;-p Have
already replied!

Thanks for your help - if and when I come to a conclusion, and do
something, I'll make sure I have some pictures to hand. The pattern I
want to do (as in shape) is very simple - two rectangles for front and
back, and another two for sleeves, so I wouldn't be faffing about with
shaping or anything like that.

--
Cathi
Old August 29th 03, 12:51 AM
Jeanne Hedge

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:52:21 -0700, Seanette Blaylock
wrote:

[...]

I'm no kind of knit-er or crochet-er, but would some kind of "rainbow
yarn" work? I'm sure you guys know what I mean - yarn that changes to
a different color every few inches/feet. I've got a knit scarf my
grandmother made from the stuff - it's got all sorts of different
color patches in it, and what color appears where is totally by
chance. Would something like that do the camouflage trick?

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com

CompuServe Anime/Manga Forum via Your Browser
- IT'S FREE! -
*** http://go.compuserve.com/anime ***