MORE litter box offerings requested!

Old August 28th 03, 04:19 AM
L. Kelly

Default MORE litter box offerings requested!

In yesterday's local paper (Olds, Alberta) there was a story run about some abandoned
kittens.

A woman had gone to stay overnight with a friend. When she got up and left in the morning
to go to work, she discovered an animal carrier in the back of her pickup. She heard the
very soft and plaintive mews of 6 very young kittens!!

They were taken to the local veterinarian's office and were estimated to be only 3 days
old. They are now being held there for care until they are old enough to be adopted out.

These poor kittens were left alone, without protection or body heat for an undetermined
length of time. The overnight temperature dropped to only 45F...and they had no mom to
feed or cuddle them!

In the meantime, the local RCMP and everyone else who cares is looking for the person or
persons responsible for such a despicable act of cruelty. I sure hope whoever did this is
caught soon and punished!

--
Hugs,
Lynn

*strip CLOTHES to reply*
Homepage:
http://members.shaw.ca/sewfinefashions/
See my boys: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/papavince_29/

Old August 28th 03, 05:02 AM
Marina

"L. Kelly" wrote
In yesterday's local paper (Olds, Alberta) there was a story run about

some abandoned
kittens.

Oh, yes, litterbox offerings to this scum, too. And purrs for the kittens to
make it.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old August 28th 03, 05:36 AM
Christine Burel

"L. Kelly" wrote in message
. ca...
[...]

Many purrs from us for the babies to survive their ordeal.
Christine

Old August 28th 03, 07:02 AM
Angela Ryan

"L. Kelly" wrote in message
. ca...
[...]

How could anyone do this?

The little babies must have a strong spirit to survive being left in the
cold like that....I am sure they will grow to be strong, healthy and
spirited cats.

I feel bad for Gizmo when it is cold, and we have a heater.

Purrs for the person whose car they ended up in that she did the right thing
by taking them to the vet.

Purrs for the kittens that they grow into healthy cats (aka. Big Kittens)

PURRS TO ALL!!!

Angela

Old August 28th 03, 07:04 AM
JHBennett

At the risk of being beaten to a bloody pulp, may I point out that whoever
put the kittens in the back of that truck was trying to give them a chance,
and did. That carrier could just as easily been dropped into the drink, or
left where nobody would have found it. I'm not sure I'd be so quick to
condem or punish someone for what may have been an act of kindness. It
rather depends on their intent and the circumstances, doesn't it, and we
know nothing of either. Suppose, just for the sake of argument, the person
who left them had been told by some authority figure, such as a parent, to
drop the kittens off the bridge. Now, thanks to all the publicity, this
person might be at some risk at home. I think I could make the case for
someone who would be cruel to animals being a child abuser as well, without
much difficulty. It all seems to come from the same mind set, I think.
My only point is not to be so quick about making judgements.
Jack
. ca...

Old August 28th 03, 07:14 AM
Yowie

Good point, Jack.

Still, there is somebody out there somewhere who deserves litterbox contents
and the harshest hisspits for condemning said animals to the hands of Fate,
whether that be the authority figure in your hypothetical situation or
otherwise.

So hisspits for the person ultimately responsible for not being responsible,
and lots and lots of purrs and very gently headbutts to the kitties.

And many kudos to the lady who had the compassion to take the kitties to the
vet.

Yowie

"JHBennett" wrote in message
[...]

. ca...

Old August 28th 03, 07:27 PM
Adrian

L. Kelly wrote:
In yesterday's local paper (Olds, Alberta) there was a story run
about some abandoned kittens.

A woman had gone to stay overnight with a friend. When she got up and
left in the morning to go to work, she discovered an animal carrier
in the back of her pickup. She heard the very soft and plaintive mews
of 6 very young kittens!!

Hisspits and litterbox offerings, I'm sure others can supply some doggy doo
doos as well.
--
Adrian
A House Is Not A Home, Without A Cat.

Old August 28th 03, 08:51 PM
Seanette Blaylock

"Adrian" had some very interesting things to say
about MORE litter box offerings requested!:
L. Kelly wrote:
In yesterday's local paper (Olds, Alberta) there was a story run
about some abandoned kittens.
A woman had gone to stay overnight with a friend. When she got up and
left in the morning to go to work, she discovered an animal carrier
in the back of her pickup. She heard the very soft and plaintive mews
of 6 very young kittens!!

Hisspits and litterbox offerings, I'm sure others can supply some doggy doo
doos as well.

I can contribute litterbox offerings, hairballs, and birdie bombs.

--
Seanette Blaylock
"You attribute perfect rationality to the whole of humanity, which has
Old August 28th 03, 09:25 PM
JHBennett

Ah, Lynn ;-)
I will cheerfully acknowledge that any scenario you, or anybody else,
for that matter, wants to put together is equally valid as any other. As it
happens, one of my pet peeves is people who will jump to conclusions, on the
presumption that they know the *facts*... or at least all there is to know
about any given situation.
Once upon a plesant day in Minneapolis, I had a job interview with a
man, in one of the major buildings downtown. Behind his desk were two huge
windows, which were unscreened and wide open. Just as we were reaching to
shake hands, a pidgeon flew into the room and nearly collided with the
fellow's head, but flaired about a foot from his ear, turned, soundlessly,
and exited the room. During the course of the interview, this bozo
expounded at some length about what a great reader of other people he was
noting that, among other things, people who wouldn't "look you in the eye,
when they shook hands..." were shifty and undependable. As I sat there, I
knew damned well he was talking about my having diverted my gaze, at the
critical moment, to observe the startling sight of the bird about to smack
into his brainless head. I gave some thought to whether I should correct
his impression of what had happened, then decided I really didn't want to
work for someone who would jump to conclusions then ego trip about their
perceptive ability. [There's a bit more, so page down] --JB
"L. Kelly" wrote in message
. ca...
Hello Jack,

Although I essentially agree with the point you are trying to make (it is

commendable
that the kittens were left where they could be found and cared for), the

fact remains
that these 6--3 day old kittens were left alone for an undetermined amount

of time. It
does not take long for a kitten that young to starve...nor does it take

very long for
hypothermia to set in at only 45F when they have no protection.

True enough, however, the fact is they didn't starve to death (I should
think dehydration the greater threat) or die from hypothermia. Granted,
they might have...but they didn't, so they were able to endure for an
undetermined period of time. Under the described circumstances, I think you
will agree, cold was the greater threat.
Know anything about the Emperor Penguin, Lynn? The males spend the
coldest months of winter on the ice of Antartica. How they survive the
brutal cold is by huddling in a pod that is a constant mass of movement.
Penguines get pushed to the outside by other penguines, then walk around the
perimiter to enter the pod at the rear center of the mass. As they go
further into the pod of birds, they are protected from the harsh elements by
the other birds. But, eventually, they are pushed to the outer edge of the
pod as other penguines make the circuit and insert themselves into the mass.
When the pod eventually breaks up in the artic Spring, the opening of the
pod releases a huge cloud of condensation, as all the accumulated body heat
escapes into the cold air.
One or two kittens might not have made it. However, six kittens huddled
up together might be able to endure for quite some time, especially if they
had some sort of bedding material. You may recall, from your own
experience, how much cover you need on your bed, when you sleep alone, and
how, if you don't reduce it, you are uncomfortably warm, even hot, when
another person is with you. Personally, I think the kittens might have been
able to survive the *cold* (45 degrees isn't THAT cold) for several more
hours, perhaps an entire day or more. And, no, I have no interest in doing
an experiment, not with cats, anyway. --JB

If they wanted to dump
the kittens and never have the same "problem" again, they should have left

the mother
with them. Then she would have cared for her babies until discovered, she

would have been
spayed by the vet as soon as possible, and adopted out.

I guess what I'm saying in my "judgement" is that this/these irresponsible

person(s)
should not have an adult cat either if they can't take proper care of

it...ie: spaying.

--
Hugs,
Lynn

Yup, that's all true. However, not everyone has your problem solving
ability...or resources for spaying. My bet, if they ever make the
discovery, is they will find a teen-age girl, who was doing the best she
could. Keeping her beloved pet, but following orders--or trying to cope
with a situation *she* could find no other solution for. At the moment, I
tend to side with the notion of inexperience/lack of judgement rather than
being irresponsible, callused, indifferent, etc. Puts me in mind of the
many instances of newborn babies being found abandoned in dumpsters. We
may never know what's behind this particular situation.
Cheers,
Jack
PS--love your spam trap and instructions to reply. Methinks you're my kind
of people--fiendish!

Old August 28th 03, 09:46 PM
JHBennett

"Cheryl Perkins" wrote in message
JHBennett wrote:
At the risk of being beaten to a bloody pulp, may I point out that

whoever
put the kittens in the back of that truck was trying to give them a

chance,
and did.

snip

Many people who abandon animals claim that they intend to 'give them a
chance'. I think that in most cases, that claim simply shows their
ignorance about animals, and it is perfectly possible to be cruel - to
animals or humans - through ignorance.

Indeed.....but, not everyone is as bright as you, you know;-) --JB

While I don't recommend that people
drown unwanted kittens - they should take them to a proper shelter -
drowning is a relatively quick and merciful death compared to death from
starvation, attacks by other animals, injuries from cars, cold, and
disease.

I can't agree with your position.

Cheryl

Such differences of opinion make horse races, Cheryl. I'm not particularly
buying or selling any viewpoint, other than not being so quick to judge.
For example, you mention taking animals to a proper shelter. In our entire
county, there is only one, not easy to find, and they keep them for a week
or less, before destroying them. You need a car to get there...and, if you
are too young to drive? Thinking on it, I bet whoever did it was within a
short walking distance of where the kittens were found. Be interesting to
hear the rest of the story, if we ever do.
Cheers,
Jack