coconut safe for dogs & cats?

Old June 28th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CheeseFace via CatKB.com

Default coconut safe for dogs & cats?

Can dogs and cats eat safely coconut or drink coconut milk? I haven't been
able to find info on this anywhere & my kitten seems to like it but I want to
be sure it's okay for his health. THANKS! :-)

Old June 28th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

When in doubt don't do it
I tried and did a web look up but came up with only one thing about mixing
coconut milk and fruit to feed to dogs in a emergency it was on a disaster
site http://www.drbasko.com/emergency.htm

Milk can be hard on a cats digestive system some can't tolerate it at all.
My Rumble thinks my bowl of cereal is his personal food dish and tries to
fish out the cereal when I eat it.

I am sure some one else will pop up with a answer

Old June 28th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Matthew" wrote in message
When in doubt don't do it
I tried and did a web look up but came up with only one thing about
mixing coconut milk and fruit to feed to dogs in a emergency it was on a
disaster site http://www.drbasko.com/emergency.htm

Milk can be hard on a cats digestive system some can't tolerate it at all.
My Rumble thinks my bowl of cereal is his personal food dish and tries to
fish out the cereal when I eat it.

-----------
Coconut "milk" is not milk at all but the juice of the coconut.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old June 29th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"cindys" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote in message
When in doubt don't do it
I tried and did a web look up but came up with only one thing about
mixing coconut milk and fruit to feed to dogs in a emergency it was on a
disaster site http://www.drbasko.com/emergency.htm

Milk can be hard on a cats digestive system some can't tolerate it at
all. My Rumble thinks my bowl of cereal is his personal food dish and
tries to fish out the cereal when I eat it.

-----------
Coconut "milk" is not milk at all but the juice of the coconut.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

You are right. I was talking about coconut milk in the can. I have some it
said it contained evaporated milk but my error thanks for the update ;-)

Old June 29th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

On Jun 28, 4:02 pm, "CheeseFace via CatKB.com" u35118@uwe wrote:
Can dogs and cats eat safely coconut or drink coconut milk? I haven't been
able to find info on this anywhere & my kitten seems to like it but I want to
be sure it's okay for his health. THANKS! :-)

I use coconut oil on my skin sometimes and as soon as I open the jar,
my cat comes running. She loves it. I give her a few licks off my
finger. If you do give this to your kitten, I would only give a very
small amount, like just a couple of sips. You don't want to upset her
tummy.

Old June 29th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lilah Morgan

Can dogs and cats eat safely coconut or drink coconut milk? I haven't

been
able to find info on this anywhere & my kitten seems to like it but I want

be sure it's okay for his health. THANKS! :-)

I think coconut 'milk' would be safe, since as previously mentioned it's not
technically milk. After I was born, it was discovered that I couldn't
tolerate milk of any kind...breast milk, cow/goat/etc...no actual milk
worked for me. I lost 3lbs in a week(I wish I could do that now). Coconut
'milk' was discovered as the only thing I could tolerate. I always had a
fondness for the stuff, but it wasn't until a couple years when my mother
told me that when I finally understood why. I'm a weird person who tends to
like stuff that keeps me alive :-) Anyways, granted my system isn't like a
cat's/dog's, but it's merely an example that coconut 'milk' is a viable
alternative to real milk.

Old June 29th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CheeseFace via CatKB.com

Thanks, everyone. All your input is appreciated! Seems like coconut (oil,
at the very east -found some websites about it) is good for the thyroid and I
know many cats end up with thyroid disease, probably from those darn pull-top
cat food cans being coated with bisphenol-a. So far, my little Sam seems
fine and, rather than give him cow or other ruminant animal milk, I just want
to be sure I'm helping him, not hurting him. Thanks again. Any other
comments still appreciated.....

Old October 6th 12, 08:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

I give both my cats & dogs coconut milk & oil. They love it!! I add some plain canned pumpkin in & that's their treat. My animals are very healthy & have beautiful coats.
I rescued a barn kitten that was accidentally stepped on by my horse by giving it warm coconut milk & coconut water. No one expected it to live, not even me. But I had read about coconut water being a life saving tool & tried it. To my surprise she went from horrific trauma & next to no life to alert & hopeful within the first 24 hours. And within a week she was feeding herself & playing. I raised her on Goats milk & with coconut milk mixed in. She is almost a year old & healthy as a "horse". =•]
I also switched to drinking only coconut milk. My hair & skin have never been healthier. And I use coconut oil & grape seed oil for my face & skin conditioner.
And the coconut oil is used in our barn & house. All the animals are crazy for it.
Coconut products have truly been miraculous for us. I have one dog I have to watch because He will drink his coconut milk too fast & try to drink someone else's too. He will get sick if he does this. So He is supervised.
I was told Vets are starting to recommend coconut milk for puppies. Our litter of puppies enjoyed it 2x a day. They are very healthy & never had any health issues.
And I have not tried it but told actual coconuts are great treats for dogs.. They enjoy eating the meat & it is healthy for their teeth to chew on the shell.
Hope that helps. =•)
Old October 7th 12, 05:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:
[...]

What is your source of coconut milk? Is it very expensive? And how does it
mix with oil? Do you use olive oil? What ratio of milk to oil do you
recommend? As I remember, coconut milk was mostly water. At least, it had
the consistency of water.....

Old January 15th 13, 07:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

What is it supposed to taste like... Cus i just opened a can up...and it didn't taste so good..i figured its an aquired taste as my cats are lapping it up no problem. It is not curdled tasting or anything but then i know its not truly milk. But then again...they are drinking it...all 5 of them. I only gave them like 1/6 of the can.. And they didn't finish that. But they took turns lapping quite a but of it from a plate. But then they aren't huge "milk" drinkers as they were very sick this past year, caught a virus from a clinic, and were forced too drink Ensure for protein. Which saved one if their lives from not eating for 5 weeks...i had to force feed her for 5 weeks...she's now heavier then she was before she got sick...almost twice the size! She was the runt...you could never tell! Was barely 7 pounds before. Anyways. It just doesn't taste good to me. Doesn't smell or anything...just was not tasty. Definitely did not taste like the coconut i have drank before fresh from the shell!
Did not taste like coconut!
And if i open this can of pumpkin will they eat it without mixing it with anything? They caught herpes AND calici from a clinic earlier this year. I'm willing to do whatever i have to to keep their immune systems up. I took one in for a blocked bladder...he came home a week later with two viruses... Serious viruses. They were the variant strains. Lost half my fur babies within 5 weeks. One more sept 1,12. Had 11 healthy cats that were never sick till that week.... Within the first week i ended up giving cpr to my first fur baby girl who had 3 seizures within a few minutes and lost her on the way to the EMERGENCY hospital.... Sigh. Worst year of my life... Losing my fur babies. Have 5 healthy ones who now have herpes for the rest of their lives. Took 5 weeks to save one of them... Dr said she's a miracle...came back from deaths door he said. She went into liver failure. One DR had even refused to treat her...said it would cost $3,000...even then it was maybe a10% chance she would survive. She was too sick for a feeding tube even. The new Dr...even agreed to that...i had to hand fed herfor 5 weeks..she's a testimony to my faith to the miracle of prayer, love and devotion to my fur babies. Which by the way..it wasn't $3,000... It was under $500. A lot to some... But she's a beautiful black Siamese. She stopped eating because her sister had passed away and she became very depressed. I found her curled up in her sisters arms... After she had passed away.. her sister had a medication reaction and passed away in the night. I did everything the vet said to do within the 12hrs of the reaction before they reopened... She passed really fast. It had to be a complication with being sick also.
Anyways..if coconut milk, water will help their digestion i want to try it.... They have issues sometimes but i think i have it under control finally. But anything that will help their health improve even more I'm willing to do especially if its as easy as getting them coconut milk or water....or pumpkin.