Allergies, Linear Granuloma, and Diet

Old November 6th 03, 03:31 AM
Phil P.

"PawsForThought" wrote in message

. My little Meesha has it too.

Sure she does, "Me Too" Lauren.... Lemme guess: She developed asthma from
eating Science Diet....?

In my
particular case, we see a hollistic vet, and we switched her to a homemade

raw
diet, as well as using natural remedies, which has been greatly

beneficial.

Are you now saying you switched your cat to a raw diet specifically as part
of a therapeutic plan ro treat her asthma, or was her development of asthma
and subsequent switch to a raw diet coincidental to your au naturel
fanatical obsession?

Didn't you say you switched all your animals to a raw at the same time? Do
try to keep your conjured up stories and built-to-suit-experiences in some
kind chronological order....

Asthma and granulomas can indicate a weak immune system,

More of your au naturel fanatic cult nonsense.... Most cats with either or
both diseases are otherwise healthy. Both diseases have multiple causes,
the most common causes are hypersensitivity and genetic predisposition. The
prevalence of asthma in the Siamese is 5 times higher than in the general
feline population -- which *strongly* suggests a genetic predisposition.
There is no breed predilection for EGC, but the prevalence of indolent ulcer
is higher in females.

Old November 6th 03, 03:32 AM
Phil P.

"PawsForThought" wrote in message

if I am understanding it right,

As usual, you're not....

the immune system
has to be comprised to begin with, then it overreacts.

There's nothing in the *real* veterinary literature to support the theory
that asthma is caused by a compromised immune system... Most asthmatic
cats, especially the Siamese, and possibly Himalayan, are simply genetically
susceptible to developing asthma.

According to Don
Hamilton, DVM,

Who? Ah yes, another homeopathic au naturel cult vet-turned-book-seller....

" The immune system becomes overreactive and then develops an
allergy to whatever potential allergens are around...The immune system

must be
compromised first,

I'd like to see from where he conjured up that theory! LOL! It sure wasn't
from the Veterinary Medical Data Base at Purdue or *real* published
veterinary literature!

Old November 6th 03, 04:09 AM
Karen M.

Phil P. wrote:
[...]

Phil, get off her freaking back. She offered some advice. Mary's a big
girl. She doesn't have to take it if she doesn't want to. Why are you
jumping around threads *just* to rip on her? Don't you have anything
better to do? Give your advice and lay off, the bickering is getting
ridiculous!

Old November 6th 03, 04:11 AM
Karen M.

No one exactly knows what all affects these kinds of disorders, so back
off. Unless you can *disprove* what was stated, it remains a viable
opinion, just like most on here.

Old November 6th 03, 05:01 AM
Mary

"Karen M." wrote in message
No one exactly knows what all affects these kinds of disorders, so

back
off. it right

Karen is right, Phil, at least according to my vet, whom I trust and
who has had his practice for over 30 years. He said that "some cats
just get it."

Old November 6th 03, 05:11 AM
Mary

"Phil P." wrote in message

Mary,

There are three types of allergy tests available for cats: the "old
fashioned" patch test -- which is still considered by most vets to

be the
most accurate and reliable allergy test available. The other

allergy tests
are the RAST and ELISA - both of these tests are mechanistically

very
similar.

Even though the patch test is more accurate and reliable, I still

prefer the
RAST or ELISA tests because with these tests suspected antigens are
tested in a test tube rather than on the cat.

Sounds like just what I am interested in, and I'll bet the vet school
in Raleigh does these tests. I'll check with my vet first. It would
certainly be worth trying to avoid the things my cat is allergic to
rather than pumping her full of steroids of any kind.

There's another test for feline asthma and bronchitis called the
trans-tracheal wash or by its older name "trans-tracheal aspiration
biopsy".. This test involves placing a catheter down a tracheal

tube into
the lungs. [...] I don't think the test is worth the anesthetic

risk - I know I'll get lots of arguments
about that, but that's my opinion.

No arguments from me. I wouldn't put her through that, esp. since it
is really hard to miss that it IS asthma. I won't let them put her
under to clean her teeth, either. I absolutely agree with you about
being cautious about the use of anesthesia.

I would strongly recommend running several fecal exams. Several

parasites
inhabit or migrate through the lungs as part of their lifecycle.

Airway
parasites are notorious for inciting inflammation and

bronchoconstriction.

Will do.

There are two additional treatment modalities you might want to look

into.
Instead of systemic corticosteroids, a lot of people with asthmatic

cats
have gotten into inhaled steroids, such as Flovent delivered via an
aerochamber called the Aerokat chamber. http://www.aerokat.com

The advantage of inhaled steroids is that they're delivered directly

to the
airways and lungs. Very little of the drug enters the circulation.
However, inhaled steroids won't have any effect on eosinophilic

granulomas.

The other is a life-saving, at-home emergency treatment in the event

your
cat has an attack and you can't get to an emergency clinic in time.

You
might want to speak to your vet about teaching you how to give your

cat
terbutaline SC. Terbutaline is a bronchodilator that can be

administered
as easily as giving SC insulin injections to diabetic cats. The

injections
will also minimize the number of very stressful trips to the

emergency
clinic.

Good to know.

Do you have carpeting in you home? Some carpets and/or their

backings
contain chemicals that can cause allergic reactions. Since

eosinophilic
granulomas and asthma can both be the result of a hypersensitivity

reaction,
its possible that a single allergen is causing both reactions.

No carpet, just some area rugs on hardwoods. No heavy drapes, either.

Did the shelter mention anything to you about your cat's conditions,

or did
they develop after you brought him home?

I called after the first attack, and the shelter owner told me that a
volunteer had once reported a similar episode, and that she would take
her back or pay for her exam. I told her I would take care of it,
because "it's not like she's a used car!" I love this shelter, the
animals are unbelievably sweet, and wish I could give them more than I
do. I paid $75 for a beautiful year-old cat, all shots and exams up to
date, spayed, and perfectly socialized. Even with the vet expense she
is worth it. She was pregnant when they found her stray and feral, and
she had two little babies, and was sweet enough to adopt and feed a
kitten who was orphaned. My Cheeks is my heart!

One last quick thought - you might want to try feeding him the same

food he
was eating in the shelter and see if his symptoms subside. The next

step
should be a food elimination trial using a novel protein source.

Here's some information I hope you find helpful:

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/health/asthma.html

Keep the faith!

Best of luck.

Phil.

Thank you for your time and input, Phil.