Allergies, Linear Granuloma, and Diet

Old November 6th 03, 05:11 AM
Mary

"Phil P." wrote in message

Mary,

There are three types of allergy tests available for cats: the "old
fashioned" patch test -- which is still considered by most vets to

be the
most accurate and reliable allergy test available. The other

allergy tests
are the RAST and ELISA - both of these tests are mechanistically

very
similar.

Even though the patch test is more accurate and reliable, I still

prefer the
RAST or ELISA tests because with these tests suspected antigens are
tested in a test tube rather than on the cat.

Sounds like just what I am interested in, and I'll bet the vet school
in Raleigh does these tests. I'll check with my vet first. It would
certainly be worth trying to avoid the things my cat is allergic to
rather than pumping her full of steroids of any kind.

There's another test for feline asthma and bronchitis called the
trans-tracheal wash or by its older name "trans-tracheal aspiration
biopsy".. This test involves placing a catheter down a tracheal

tube into
the lungs. [...] I don't think the test is worth the anesthetic

risk - I know I'll get lots of arguments
about that, but that's my opinion.

No arguments from me. I wouldn't put her through that, esp. since it
is really hard to miss that it IS asthma. I won't let them put her
under to clean her teeth, either. I absolutely agree with you about
being cautious about the use of anesthesia.

I would strongly recommend running several fecal exams. Several

parasites
inhabit or migrate through the lungs as part of their lifecycle.

Airway
parasites are notorious for inciting inflammation and

bronchoconstriction.

Will do.

There are two additional treatment modalities you might want to look

into.
Instead of systemic corticosteroids, a lot of people with asthmatic

cats
have gotten into inhaled steroids, such as Flovent delivered via an
aerochamber called the Aerokat chamber. http://www.aerokat.com

The advantage of inhaled steroids is that they're delivered directly

to the
airways and lungs. Very little of the drug enters the circulation.
However, inhaled steroids won't have any effect on eosinophilic

granulomas.

The other is a life-saving, at-home emergency treatment in the event

your
cat has an attack and you can't get to an emergency clinic in time.

You
might want to speak to your vet about teaching you how to give your

cat
terbutaline SC. Terbutaline is a bronchodilator that can be

administered
as easily as giving SC insulin injections to diabetic cats. The

injections
will also minimize the number of very stressful trips to the

emergency
clinic.

Good to know.

Do you have carpeting in you home? Some carpets and/or their

backings
contain chemicals that can cause allergic reactions. Since

eosinophilic
granulomas and asthma can both be the result of a hypersensitivity

reaction,
its possible that a single allergen is causing both reactions.

No carpet, just some area rugs on hardwoods. No heavy drapes, either.

Did the shelter mention anything to you about your cat's conditions,

or did
they develop after you brought him home?

I called after the first attack, and the shelter owner told me that a
volunteer had once reported a similar episode, and that she would take
her back or pay for her exam. I told her I would take care of it,
because "it's not like she's a used car!" I love this shelter, the
animals are unbelievably sweet, and wish I could give them more than I
do. I paid $75 for a beautiful year-old cat, all shots and exams up to
date, spayed, and perfectly socialized. Even with the vet expense she
is worth it. She was pregnant when they found her stray and feral, and
she had two little babies, and was sweet enough to adopt and feed a
kitten who was orphaned. My Cheeks is my heart!

One last quick thought - you might want to try feeding him the same

food he
was eating in the shelter and see if his symptoms subside. The next

step
should be a food elimination trial using a novel protein source.

Here's some information I hope you find helpful:

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/health/asthma.html

Keep the faith!

Best of luck.

Phil.

Thank you for your time and input, Phil.

Old November 6th 03, 05:31 AM
Mary

"Phil P." wrote in message

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/health/asthma.html

Phil, what a GREAT site, I read the entire thing. I want to get the
Aerokat inhaler, at $55 it is worth it for the peace of mind. If my
understanding of what I read is correct, I can give her a
bronchodilator in an emergency that could save her life, whether or
not I choose to administer her steroids that way. Thanks so much. I
plan to see my vet soon about this.

Old November 6th 03, 01:11 PM
PawsForThought

From: "Karen M."

Phil P. wrote:

"PawsForThought" wrote in message

if I am understanding it right,

As usual, you're not....

the immune system

has to be comprised to begin with, then it overreacts.

There's nothing in the *real* veterinary literature to support the theory
that asthma is caused by a compromised immune system... Most asthmatic
cats, especially the Siamese, and possibly Himalayan, are simply

genetically
susceptible to developing asthma.

According to Don

Hamilton, DVM,

Who? Ah yes, another homeopathic au naturel cult

vet-turned-book-seller....

" The immune system becomes overreactive and then develops an

allergy to whatever potential allergens are around...The immune system

must be

compromised first,

I'd like to see from where he conjured up that theory! LOL! It sure

wasn't
from the Veterinary Medical Data Base at Purdue or *real* published
veterinary literature!

No one exactly knows what all affects these kinds of disorders, so back
off. Unless you can *disprove* what was stated, it remains a viable
opinion, just like most on here.

Thanks, Karen. Dr. Hamilton is a highly respected veterinarian, something Phil
is NOT. Let's see, shall I listen to a highly respected professional
veterinarian, or some a*hole vet wannabee on an internet newsgroup? LOL

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Old November 6th 03, 01:11 PM
PawsForThought

Old November 6th 03, 01:12 PM
Jeremy Lowe

Mary,

One of the reasons we recommend humidity control is dust mites and most
molds both require humidity levels in excess of 55% for 48 hours to continue
their pathetic life. Control humidity and you eliminate these two problems
almost completely.

How you control humidity is another issue. It could take several pages to
describe moisture control but I can condense it to a few important points.

First you must have home that operates on a positive pressure to reduce
moisture infiltration. You can test this by running your heating and air
system and checking smoke movement at doors and windows. Remember your house
may be positive normally, but when you run a dryer or exhaust fan it may go
negative which is bad.

A good site for some additional information is
http://www.thermastor.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=217 I have recommended
these products for years at various companies I have been employed at with
great success.

I hope this helps.

--
Jeremy Lowe
www.healthypetnet.com/jeremy

Have you hugged your pet today?
"Mary" wrote in message
. com...
Jeremy Lowe wrote:
Mary,

As a CIE (Certified Indoor Environmentalist) I often am called to

help
people deal with asthma in their homes.

Jeremy, this is wonderful information because I have allergies--was
tested
and am most intensely allergic to dust, mold, cats and one kind of
tree that
is indigenous to the northeast but does not grow where I currently
live. So--
I am very lucky to have been spared the plant allergies, but when one
is
allergic to dust and mold it is like being allergic to the world! And
... of
course, I live with two cats. When I was diagnosed as allergic to cats
my baby was 16. Get rid of her? HELL no! In fact I got another and
when my 1st cat died, adopted an adult from a shelter. I love cats,
and
the level of allergic reaction I have is just annoying, not
life-threatening.
However--lately I have been wheezing. My father and sister have
asthma,
so I wonder if I do or will. Point: for me and my cat, all of your
suggestions are very helpful.

Mary, in 18 plus years of dealing with IAQ (Indoor Air Quality)
issues in homes and offices, I have found that these "triggers"
widely vary from person to person. Triggers may be bug and pest
dander, household dusts, mycotoxins released from molds, and even
chemicals may trigger severe asthmatic reactions.

What we do: I have hepa filters in all the rooms where creatures
sleep, including mine. We have professionals clean ever two
weeks. I could do a better job of dusting in between--those
static "Swiffer" things look pretty good. I was the bedding often,
but I imagine getting a mattress cover that "seals in" dust mites
might be good, you think?

I was giving Cheeks and Buddha baths about 4 times a year, but gave up
bathing Cheeks
as she appears to be convinced I am about to murder her--every time.
What is pretty funny
is that I take her to the vet for allergy shots but I am allergic to
her and just take over-the-
counter antihistamines. I love Claritin, hate benedryl as the latter
dries me out and makes me
sleepy.

First and foremost is humidity control. We must maintain a relative
humidity of less than 55% year round in the home to prevent mold
growth and to reduce the life cycle of dust mites which are a well
documented allergen.

How does one do this, Jeremy? And what is wrong with my vet who
told me to put a humidifier under the place where my Cheeks likes to
hang out and look out the window? He had me thinking moisture was
best?

Third we need to reduce and eliminate if at all possible the use of

chemical based cleaning agents in our home since many chemical
sensitivities are documented to be involved with humans with asthma.

I had not thought of this. I will research it. I always sneeze in the
bathroom
but I thought that was mold induced.

Now as I said before, this is for humans, but since our feline
friends are at ground level often they are even more susceptible to
these allergens and chemicals and molds.

Thanks so much for taking the time to give us your good ideas.

Old November 6th 03, 05:46 PM
Karen M.

Mary wrote:
"Karen M." wrote in message

No one exactly knows what all affects these kinds of disorders, so

back

off. it right

Karen is right, Phil, at least according to my vet, whom I trust and
who has had his practice for over 30 years. He said that "some cats
just get it."

Sorry, Mary. I didn't mean to clutter your post with this stuff, I'm
just tired of it from other threads. That said, I'm glad you got some
more good info from Phil. The more the merrier, right? Still keeping my
finger crossed!