Jackie Cat, Espy, Nipsy - can we just get along?

Old May 14th 04, 03:37 PM
dgk

Default Jackie Cat, Espy, Nipsy - can we just get along?

Health issues aside, Jackie begins her integration into the household
and the boys are watching suspiciously. Yesterday I was only home for
an hour before having to go to a meeting so that was the only time
Jackie left her room. I let the boys out in the backyard and then fed
Jackie and let her out of her room. She came downstairs and went into
the backyard for a few minutes. The two boys stared at her but only a
few muted hisses were heard. Then she went back inside and up to her
room for more food. I closed the door and left. That was really good
news because I wasn't sure that she could climb the stairs since
they're wood and she's old and sick and likely arthritic.

This morning I fed her again and left her some more food. She just
eats it all and wants more but I'm not supposed to feed her too much
at one time. I leave her dry stuff.

Anyway, tonight when I get home I think that door stays open for good.
It will make it a bit harder to handle her medication but she keeps
darting for the door when I come in and she clearly wants to be able
to leave the room sometimes.

Tonight I will be leaving for a few hours and I'm thinking that maybe
I'll delay the official open door policy until I get back. I'd like to
be there, even if asleep, during her first extended engagement as a
full family member. For all the minor stalking and hissing there has
been no actual physical contact except for some sniffing.

The only real problem is that she left a few brown stains around her
room from loose stools. I think that is more or less over. I'd prefer
if they didn't end up on the couch. On the other hand, it's time for a
new couch anyway.

It promises to be an interesting evening and weekend. I'd best get the
Feliway.
Old May 14th 04, 05:19 PM
Mary

"dgk" wrote in message
Health issues aside, Jackie begins her integration into the household

I think you're right about wanting to be there at any time they will be
together. I'm sure her tummy will settle once she is into her new routine.
Thanks for taking her in, she may have been one of the last cats anyone else
would have adopted due to her age.

---