[ot] Travel to the USA

Old April 3rd 04, 02:58 PM
Jeanne Hedge

Default [ot] Travel to the USA

I know several people here are planning to travel to the US soon - did
you see this news item from Friday (2 April)?

from:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/04/02....ap/index.html

U.S. expands fingerprinting program to closest allies
Friday, April 2, 2004 Posted: 2:32 PM EST (1932 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A program requiring foreigners to be fingerprinted
and photographed before entering the country is being expanded to
include millions of travelers from some of America's closest allies,
U.S. officials said Friday.

The move affects citizens in 27 countries -- including Britain, Japan
and Australia -- who had been allowed to travel within the United
States without a visa for up to 90 days, according to the Homeland
Security Department.

Under changes in the US-VISIT program that will take effect by
September 30, they will be fingerprinted and photographed when they
enter through any of 115 international airports and 14 seaports. There
are no changes in unique rules covering visits by Canadians and
Mexicans.

The Bush administration made the move after determining most of the
so-called "visa-waiver countries" won't meet an October deadline to
have biometric passports, said Asa Hutchinson, undersecretary for
border and transportation security. Such passports include fingerprint
and iris identification features that make the documents virtually
impossible to counterfeit.

Citizens from those countries still won't have to go through the
consulate interviews, background checks, fingerprinting and
photographing that people from other nations must do to obtain a visa.

The US-VISIT program was passed by Congress in response to the
September 11, 2001, attacks. In January, the U.S. government began
fingerprinting and photographing visitors from nations other than the
visa-waiver countries.

About 5 million people have been processed so far and more than 200
with prior or suspected criminal or immigration violations have been
stopped, according to Homeland Security.

Hutchinson said adding the estimated 13 million annual visitors from
visa-waiver countries should not create massive backlogs at airports
and seaports. He said it takes only 23 seconds per person to take
fingerprints and photos and check them against government files.

However, fingerprinting the visa-waiver citizens could have
ramifications for Americans when they travel abroad. When US-VISIT
began last winter, Brazil retaliated by requiring Americans visiting
that country to be fingerprinted and photographed.

Hutchinson said he does not expect other countries will follow
Brazil's example. He and other U.S. officials have been talking to
their counterparts in the visa-waiver countries and told them their
nations could be added to US-VISIT. None expressed strong
reservations, he said.

"Our allies, they will see this as a good security measure," he said.

The visa-waiver countries a Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium,
Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy,
Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand,
Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden,
Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

*************************

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com
Old April 3rd 04, 05:14 PM
Adrian

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
I know several people here are planning to travel to the US soon - did
you see this news item from Friday (2 April)?

from:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/04/02....ap/index.html

U.S. expands fingerprinting program to closest allies
Friday, April 2, 2004 Posted: 2:32 PM EST (1932 GMT)

I saw it, I think it will slow things down even more. The last time I visted
the US in 1982, I couldn't believe how quick everything was. The time from
the plane touching down to picking up the keys for the hire car was only 20
minutes. Visas were still required then for UK visitors and mine says it's
valid for life.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy, Milo & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old April 3rd 04, 05:16 PM
Jette Goldie

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
[...]

Except that Britain WILL have to go to the US Consulate
(in London) and get a visa from September. So not only
will we need to get visas, we're now going to be fingerprinted
like criminals?

Way to keep your allies sweet, America - I foresee the various
resort parks in France and Spain getting an increase in
visitors next year..... many of whom have decided that
Florida isn't so attractive after all.

(if the US waives the visa waiver..... shouldn't we Brits insist
that US visitors to the UK get visas in return?)

--
Jette Goldie

INTERACTION - the 63rd Worldcon
"A European Worldcon in Glasgow"
http://interaction.worldcon.org.uk/

Old April 3rd 04, 05:55 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Except that Britain WILL have to go to the US Consulate
(in London) and get a visa from September. So not only
will we need to get visas, we're now going to be fingerprinted
like criminals?

Way to keep your allies sweet, America - I foresee the various
resort parks in France and Spain getting an increase in
visitors next year..... many of whom have decided that
Florida isn't so attractive after all.

(if the US waives the visa waiver..... shouldn't we Brits insist
that US visitors to the UK get visas in return?)

There seems to be much resentment of this step by the USA government over here
from what I can see in the press. I'm sure the government of the Land of the
Free is turning itself into the government of the Land of the Paranoid. Please
note, I really do separate out the current USA government from *Americans* -
and in particular the Americans on this NG :-) Honest :-)

I see the step taken as one that is actually ineffective at what it says it's
for. It will do nothing to pick up people who don't have a criminal record
already. All it seems to be most successful in achieving is getting the backs
up of the people in the nations America is supposed to be friends with. It's
feeling like the USA administration is saying that it doesn't welcome *anyone*
who is not an American and wants to spend a holiday in the States. Perhaps it's
forgetting that there's Americans who wish America harm too - is it
fingerprinting and photographing all *Americans* on internal flights, or on
flights returning from abroad - in case they've picked up any terrorist
inclinations on their travels?

Will I be planning a holiday in the States? No - not with GWB in power - it's a
step too far as far as I'm concerned. I really don't appreciate being treated
like a criminal without due cause, and being non-American is *not* due cause.
Florida is a major holiday destination for many a Brit and I can see many a
Brit deciding it's just too much hassle and distinctly not a happy place to
visit. This photographing & fingerprinting lark "just in case" is waaaay too
much like Orwell's 1984 for my liking. I just hope BLiar and Blunkett (Home
Secretary with political leanings to the right of Attila the Hun) actually do
something to stand up to Bush for a change and *do* introduce compulsory
photographing and fingerprinting of any American visiting these shores. But I'm
not going to hold my breath over it. Just because someone is not an American it
does *not* mean they should be assumed to have terrorist tendencies, which is
exactly the signal this crass action by GWB & Co is sending out.

Anyway - off me soapbox and back to the cats - they are *much* nicer :-)

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old April 3rd 04, 06:12 PM
Jeanette

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote in
message ...
Except that Britain WILL have to go to the US Consulate
(in London) and get a visa from September. So not only
will we need to get visas, we're now going to be fingerprinted
like criminals?

Canada or Europe for me for holidays. I know that my sister has cancelled
her plans to holiday in Florida this year because of this.

Old April 3rd 04, 08:13 PM
Dan M

Anyway - off me soapbox and back to the cats - they are *much* nicer :-)

They are indeed!

I'm sure everyone on the group suspects this, but just to clarify - most
of us living in the US also think this is stupid, ineffectual,
intrusive, and a very bad idea. A lot of us can hardly wait for November
for a chance to vote that Bush idiot out of office. Even the kitties
wish they could vote!

Sorry, I usually try to avoid expressing political preferences in these
newsgroups. Just couldn't help this one.

Now on with your regularly scheduled kitty discussions

Dan

Old April 3rd 04, 08:46 PM
Bev

Jeanette wrote:

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote in
message ...
Except that Britain WILL have to go to the US Consulate
(in London) and get a visa from September. So not only
will we need to get visas, we're now going to be fingerprinted
like criminals?

Canada or Europe for me for holidays. I know that my sister has cancelled
her plans to holiday in Florida this year because of this.

I heard of this requirement on the radio. It seems that it is coming
in in September and we are travelling in August so it won't concern
us. The way I feel about it - if the powers that be think it might
save some lives, so be it.

Bev
--
I got rid of my husband. The cat was allergic.
Old April 3rd 04, 09:15 PM
Jette Goldie

"Dan M" wrote in message
Anyway - off me soapbox and back to the cats - they are *much* nicer :-)

They are indeed!

I'm sure everyone on the group suspects this, but just to clarify - most
of us living in the US also think this is stupid, ineffectual,
intrusive, and a very bad idea. A lot of us can hardly wait for November
for a chance to vote that Bush idiot out of office. Even the kitties
wish they could vote!

Well, in the UK you'd find people who disagreed with
government stupidity writing to their MP to protest
said stupidity. Does it work like that in the US?

(ok, it doesn't always work that well in the UK either,
but at least they know we're displeased)

--
Jette
"Work for Peace and remain Fiercely Loving" - Jim Byrnes

http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Old April 3rd 04, 11:32 PM

I'm sure the government of the Land of the Free is turning itself
into the government of the Land of the Paranoid. Please note, I
really do separate out the current USA government from *Americans* -
and in particular the Americans on this NG :-) Honest :-)

No offense taken, Helen. I didn't vote for this administration, and
neither did the majority of American citizens.

Will I be planning a holiday in the States? No - not with GWB in power -
it's a step too far as far as I'm concerned.

I'm working on this one, believe me!!

I just hope BLiar and Blunkett (Home Secretary with political leanings
to the right of Attila the Hun) actually do something to stand up to
Bush for a change and *do* introduce compulsory photographing and
fingerprinting of any American visiting these shores.

I agree that it would be great to see another country's leaders stand up
to Bush. On the other hand, in this kind of situation, it would be one
leader against another, and why should they care? They're not going to be
fingerprinted. The only people who suffer the inconvenience and the insult
are the ordinary travellers.

Joyce
Old April 4th 04, 03:03 AM
Jo Firey

"Jeanette" wrote in message

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote in
message ...
Except that Britain WILL have to go to the US Consulate
(in London) and get a visa from September. So not only
will we need to get visas, we're now going to be fingerprinted
like criminals?

Canada or Europe for me for holidays. I know that my sister has cancelled
her plans to holiday in Florida this year because of this.

I fail to see why this is such a big deal. Regardless of what country is
doing the photoing and printing.

They do the same in a great many places just to allow anyone to cash a
check!

Jo

[OT] unusual dog fur John F. Eldredge Cat anecdotes 14 January 27th 04 08:35 PM
[OT] Soccer Movie Question Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 5 January 13th 04 04:57 PM
[OT] Iron Chef Yowie Cat anecdotes 19 December 23rd 03 07:32 AM
[OT] Just needed to vent - UPDATE 20/11 JA Gory Cat anecdotes 23 November 25th 03 05:33 AM