Grooming a long haired cat

Old May 24th 05, 12:37 AM
Margret

Default Grooming a long haired cat

We have a long haired ( almost Persian)cat who goes outside into the grass,
and comes back covered in "farmers friends" ( hard grass seeds). We try to
brush them out; but it is very difficult, and it would take hours to pick
them out individually. Any ideas? (we can't keep her locked inside all
day!)
Cheers, Margret

Old May 24th 05, 12:43 AM
-L.

Margret wrote:
We have a long haired ( almost Persian)cat who goes outside into the

grass,
and comes back covered in "farmers friends" ( hard grass seeds). We

try to
brush them out; but it is very difficult, and it would take hours to

pick
them out individually. Any ideas? (we can't keep her locked inside

all
day!)
Cheers, Margret

Use a medium-toothed metal teflon-coated grooming comb, and a
fine-toothed one for the feet and face. Brushes aren't the best tool
for long-haired cats. You start from the back of the cat, lift some
hair up and brush the undercoat toward the hindquarters/end of the cat.
Let more hair down and repeat the strokes. gradually work your way
toward the front of the cat. Long-haired cats should be groomed daily.

-L.

Old May 24th 05, 03:03 AM
Joe Canuck

Margret wrote:
We have a long haired ( almost Persian)cat who goes outside into the grass,
and comes back covered in "farmers friends" ( hard grass seeds). We try to
brush them out; but it is very difficult, and it would take hours to pick
them out individually. Any ideas? (we can't keep her locked inside all
day!)
Cheers, Margret

A brush will not work well on a long-haired cat as it will not reach
down deep into the coat.

Try using combs instead. Get medium and fine toothed combs. Start
combing all over with the medium, then use the fine to finish up.

Be gentle, the comb will get caught in hair.

You will need to do this daily to keep the coat in shape, particularly
if you keep allowing your cat outside where the coat will pickup
"items".

Old May 24th 05, 03:39 AM
bigbadbarry

"Margret" no wrote in message ...
We have a long haired ( almost Persian)cat who goes outside into the

grass,
and comes back covered in "farmers friends" ( hard grass seeds). We try to
brush them out; but it is very difficult, and it would take hours to pick
them out individually. Any ideas? (we can't keep her locked inside all
day!)
Cheers, Margret

I get them too...till I cut the grass. he he he

I bet there is some sort of spray in conditioner/cleaner/softner/something

like a spritzer, that will make cats hair easy to comb through,then when
your done, his hair dry and clean and oh so comfy to him. SPRAYGO... spray
it on as you comb through...

--
Barry

.... Women and cats are both black at night. - Bosnia ...

Old May 24th 05, 12:32 PM
Joe Canuck

bigbadbarry wrote:

"Margret" no wrote in message ...

We have a long haired ( almost Persian)cat who goes outside into the

grass,

and comes back covered in "farmers friends" ( hard grass seeds). We try to
brush them out; but it is very difficult, and it would take hours to pick
them out individually. Any ideas? (we can't keep her locked inside all
day!)
Cheers, Margret

I get them too...till I cut the grass. he he he

I bet there is some sort of spray in conditioner/cleaner/softner/something

like a spritzer, that will make cats hair easy to comb through,then when
your done, his hair dry and clean and oh so comfy to him. SPRAYGO... spray
it on as you comb through...

I will use a very fine mist (light dusting) of plain water when combing
out to reduce the static electricity only.

With the brushing, it drys extremely quick but provides the extra
moisture needed to keep the static down when it is bad.