Update on shy cat underneath bed no longer

Old November 5th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gregg

Default Update on shy cat underneath bed no longer

Gracie is a Ginger Tabby cat, a few months ago when she was adopted
from an animal sheater, she was very very shy and hid most of the time
under neath my queen size master bed room bed, now update she comes
out too look at the birds even she has her favorite window to look out
of, she is still very shy of me, her co owner I am 6"2 tall, and
wonder if that is the reason me a man she is shy of me, will not let
me pet her or go near her, she would run away hid in the house run
under neath the bed or else where, but she would let my wife who is
5"9 touch her and give her a chin rub, I the husband cannot even give
her a chin rub. Please any advice neededed but bad urget

Old November 5th 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Gregg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gracie is a Ginger Tabby cat, a few months ago when she was adopted
from an animal sheater, she was very very shy and hid most of the time
under neath my queen size master bed room bed, now update she comes
out too look at the birds even she has her favorite window to look out
of,

Yay, Gracie!! Soon she will be coming to you.

she is still very shy of me, her co owner I am 6"2 tall, and
wonder if that is the reason me a man she is shy of me, will not let
me pet her or go near her, she would run away hid in the house run
under neath the bed or else where, but she would let my wife who is
5"9 touch her and give her a chin rub, I the husband cannot even give
her a chin rub. Please any advice neededed but bad urget

In my experience, female cats love men. Maybe Gracie was frightened by
a man, and just needs some time to learn that you are gentle and mean her
well. The best advice is to give her time and let her come to you. You
should
be the one to feed her some of the time, too, and never underestimate the
power of treats! You could start by tossing one to her wherever she is, and
toss them closer and closer to you.

That said, my husband's response to our Gracie, also a shelter cat, who
ran from him, was to chase her down. Once he got her, he plopped her
on the bed and gave her lots of petting. Gracie loves affection, loves
to be touched by people--probably the only reason this worked with
her. The outcome? She still runs from him, but when she sees him go
upstairs to our bedroom, she runs up there JUST SO THAT she can
pretend to be scared, get chased up on the bed, and get loving.
It is hilarious. It's a four-poster, and she rubs her face all over the post
while being petted, gets up on her back legs to headbutt his hand, but
STILL, after 5 years, she will not come to him and runs from him every
time she sees him. Cats!

Old November 6th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from Gregg :

Gracie is a Ginger Tabby cat, a few months ago when she was
adopted from an animal sheater, she was very very shy and hid most
of the time under neath my queen size master bed room bed, now
update she comes out too look at the birds even she has her
favorite window to look out of, she is still very shy of me, her
co owner I am 6"2 tall, and wonder if that is the reason me a man
she is shy of me, will not let me pet her or go near her, she
would run away hid in the house run under neath the bed or else
where, but she would let my wife who is 5"9 touch her and give her
a chin rub, I the husband cannot even give her a chin rub. Please
any advice neededed but bad urget

Aside from cybercat's beautiful and funny suggestion -- which is what
we did too, kind of force him (Gabby) to get a little loving. It was
his choice if he wanted to run away after that.

Another suggestion would be to offer up yummy vittles like canned
food or treats. Then rub her constantly while she eats. I mean
constantly. Also, don't be embarrassed to rub your head or face
across her body, nuzzle her neck, make kiss noises into her neck or
ear (softly if her ear), touch her belly gently if she doesn't mind,
and above all else sit right there beside her quietly talking to her,
saying her name and being as sweet and loving in your mannerisms and
words as possible.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old November 6th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"-Lost" wrote

Also, don't be embarrassed to rub your head or face
across her body, nuzzle her neck, make kiss noises into her neck or
ear (softly if her ear), touch her belly gently if she doesn't mind,
and above all else sit right there beside her quietly talking to her,
saying her name and being as sweet and loving in your mannerisms and
words as possible.

Hey, Gregg, there's $50 in it for you if you'll do that to ME.

Old November 6th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from "cybercat" :

"-Lost" wrote

Also, don't be embarrassed to rub your head or face
across her body, nuzzle her neck, make kiss noises into her neck
or ear (softly if her ear), touch her belly gently if she doesn't
mind, and above all else sit right there beside her quietly
talking to her, saying her name and being as sweet and loving in
your mannerisms and words as possible.

Hey, Gregg, there's $50 in it for you if you'll do that to ME.

Oops, sorry for the confusion. Gregg, I was talking about you doing
that TO cybercat, not Gracie.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old November 6th 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"-Lost" wrote in message
Response from "cybercat" :

"-Lost" wrote

Also, don't be embarrassed to rub your head or face
across her body, nuzzle her neck, make kiss noises into her neck
or ear (softly if her ear), touch her belly gently if she doesn't
mind, and above all else sit right there beside her quietly
talking to her, saying her name and being as sweet and loving in
your mannerisms and words as possible.

Hey, Gregg, there's $50 in it for you if you'll do that to ME.

Oops, sorry for the confusion. Gregg, I was talking about you doing
that TO cybercat, not Gracie.

So, where do I mail your $25?